Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 09:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Please end the ongoing speculation and hypothesizing and get some proof. Please go buy two new pins, photograph them, and use them. When you are done towing, remove the pins and retake the photos. I understand that your background makes you highly suspect of worn or potentially worn parts, but you need to prove to yourself what you think is occurring is actually occurring.
Why do I have to prove anything more than anyone else here?

I have already said that my intentions are close to your suggestion.

I WAS looking for the connection between pin wear and those that have experienced it...not the "speculation" that many have offered here so far.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Take a deep breath, this is not a life and death calamity here. I ordered another set because I carry a set of spare’s . Both sets look like yours.
It’s just the way they are made. Attached photo show’s one brand new, never used and a pin used towing 40,000 miles. Attachment 361816
I am not sure I see an oblong hole on the new pin (not saying it isn't...just the picture)... is it?
Old 04-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #31

There shouldn’t be any side load on the lynch pins to cause elongating in the main pins. What do your lynch pins look like. Can you post a picture of your lynch pins or whatever style pins you are using that you think caused the hole to elongate.

If the lynch pins were side loaded and did cause the elongating of the main pins then something way more serious is going on.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
I am not sure I see an oblong hole on the new pin (not saying it isn't...just the picture)... is it?

Maybe the guy who drilled yours had a bad hangover that day and just missed. Hope your new ones are good. My pins are OEM Blue OX FYI.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Everyone here is a known expert, known to themselves that is, but we haven’t even seen a photo of the retainer clip that is wearing through the lynchpin which you’ve determined will cause catastrophic failure within 4500 miles.

You’re going to examine the equipment every time you connect and disconnect, aren’t you? It seems as though you’d be likely to look at it every time you stop for fuel, to switch drivers, etc.

In all probability, an answer or explanation that is acceptable to you, can only be provided by the manufacturer of your equipment. Why did you even ask?
No.... on several points.

I didn't say that the wear would cause catastrophic damage for sure .... only if it continued to wear. I don't know that it will, it might have worn to a sweet spot for all I KNOW. That's why I was asking here, to see what other that ACTUALLY HAD experienced pin wear and what was the cause. Seems reasonable to me compared to many questions asked here.

The manufacturing guy did not have a guess (he DID acknowledge the wear seemed unusual) and accepted my plan to get new pins, photograph, micro measure and check every so often for wear on the new pins (if any). So no I am not holding my breath for a answer soon from the manufacturer.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Maybe the guy who drilled yours had a bad hangover that day and just missed. Hope your new ones are good. My pins are OEM Blue OX FYI.
Me too.

Just seeing closeups of new pins here and on the web answered my question about chamfering. Wasn't used to seeing it done that way, but now I am.

So I guess now is wait and see for a few days till the new ones show up....then if they arrive perfectly round... then it will be wait and see on the trip....and not I have a set of spares that will get me a few more miles till I figure out the cause why.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:32 AM   #35

Quote:
No.... on several points.

I didn't say that the wear would cause catastrophic damage for sure .... only if it continued to wear. I don't know that it will, it might have worn to a sweet spot for all I KNOW. That's why I was asking here, to see what other that ACTUALLY HAD experienced pin wear and what was the cause. Seems reasonable to me compared to many questions asked here.

The manufacturing guy did not have a guess (he DID acknowledge the wear seemed unusual) and accepted my plan to get new pins, photograph, micro measure and check every so often for wear on the new pins (if any). So no I am not holding my breath for a answer soon from the manufacturer.
It was not my intent to suggest that the question was unreasonable. My point was that you seem reluctant to accept answers and explanations from anyone who is not known by you to be an expert and who has also laid eyes on your equipment. You have created conditions which make the question unanswerable on this forum. Why ask a question if you won’t accept the answers?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
There shouldn’t be any side load on the lynch pins to cause elongating in the main pins. What do your lynch pins look like. Can you post a picture of your lynch pins or whatever style pins you are using that you think caused the hole to elongate.

If the lynch pins were side loaded and did cause the elongating of the main pins then something way more serious is going on.
The lynch pins are pristine.

The side loading might be caused by the back and forth motion of the toad on the road and the 1/8 or so inch give the pin can move.

I think its a slight up and down motion with a bit of a rock that is causing the 2 wear patterns inside the hole.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #37

Quote:

The side loading might be caused by the back and forth motion of the toad on the road and the 1/8 or so inch give the pin can move.

I think its a slight up and down motion with a bit of a rock that is causing the 2 wear patterns inside the hole.

Your quick disconnect lynch pin really is not taking any of the stress from towing. The lynch pin is only keeping the main pin from sliding out of the receiver. Now I have had the ring on the lynch pin break at the weld on the ring after continued use. Carry an extra set of those also and inspect each pin at every stop.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
It was not my intent to suggest that the question was unreasonable. My point was that you seem reluctant to accept answers and explanations from anyone who is not known by you to be an expert and who has also laid eyes on your equipment. You have created conditions which make the question unanswerable on this forum. Why ask a question if you won’t accept the answers?
I explained why I asked.... I thought pretty reasonable. My original question was about anyone having a similar problem and why it might have happened. A lot of posting about the pins just come that way and don't worry. While being an answer, just not answering my question like mine have no wear so yours should either.

People saying go to Tractor Supply might have a point and as I posted.... when I go see fresh hardware, I will look. In the mean time, my own experience is that I just haven't seen this sort of situation on brand new "pins" and others have posted theirs are pristine after tens of thousands of miles of towing.

As to experts...look back and let me know of how many credentials have been posted to even suggest the bare minimum qualifications to examine material failures? Even any mechanical certifications?

I can see where some might think I am being difficult, but I have enough experience in life and the internet to know advice comes from all over the place. I try and be specific as to the info I am looking for, but even sometimes I am bad at that.

I am specifically asking those that have this sort of elongation of holes (either in brand new pins or after towing) and what was ever discovered to be the cause of it. If that is unanswerable, then my loss.... and I will find out the hard way.

Sorry if any offense was taken by any poster, not my goal...which is just to answer my concern.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:55 AM   #39
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
When you stopped and found this problem had the pins walked to the side with the clip?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyndance View Post
When you stopped and found this problem had the pins walked to the side with the clip?
I can't say.

I just pulled them out and laid them down...not even sure which one came from which side of the toad.

After only 100 miles, in my wildest dreams I wasn't thinking pin wear.

It wasn't until I went to put the lynch pins back in them to store them that I noticed anything.

I was thinking of putting a rubber washer on the pin that would eliminate the possibility of the base plate pin walking back and forth. Not sure if that's a good idea or not....will have to investigate the concept and sleep on it. Probably wait until the new set wears or not....and how much.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #41

Quote:

If the lynch pins are pristine then there was no side loading on the pin and nothing about your elongated holes was caused by the pins.

The only way to elongate the holes in the main pins is if the lunch pins were side leaded.

Your main pins came that way from the manufacturer.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:22 AM   #42
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I can't say.

I just pulled them out and laid them down...not even sure which one came from which side of the toad.

After only 100 miles, in my wildest dreams I wasn't thinking pin wear.

It wasn't until I went to put the lynch pins back in them to store them that I noticed anything.

I was thinking of putting a rubber washer on the pin that would eliminate the possibility of the base plate pin walking back and forth. Not sure if that's a good idea or not....will have to investigate the concept and sleep on it. Probably wait until the new set wears or not....and how much.
The pins will walk the same way every time, at least mine do. See which way they go and put them in so they walk away from the clip.

If the hole was elongated wearing against the yoke in 100 miles I would think it would be soft enough to bend by hand.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow