Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
I explained why I asked.... I thought pretty reasonable. My original question was about anyone having a similar problem and why it might have happened. A lot of posting about the pins just come that way and don't worry.

As to experts...look back and let me know of how many credentials have been posted to even suggest the bare minimum qualifications to examine material failures? Even any mechanical certifications?
Exactly my point. First you asked for others to share their experience. Now you’re asking for credentials, qualifications and certifications? Yet even if those are provided, you still don’t personally know any of us and we haven’t seen your set up. So, two conditions still exist which will allow you to dismiss our answers.

Good luck. Over and out.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 10:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyndance View Post
The pins will walk the same way every time, at least mine do. See which way they go and put them in so they walk away from the clip.

If the hole was elongated wearing against the yoke in 100 miles I would think it would be soft enough to bend by hand.
In the manufacturer literature for my towbar, I believe they address that the pins tend to work themselves in towards the center of the toad.

That is why they set up the base plate assembly with two guide holes for the lynch pins on the inside of each connecting assembly. In case the lynch pin was never installed or falls out, the pins should remain in as that is the way the pins work themselves.

So I really can't reverse the pins due to the way the pieces go together.

Now, that said...the wear I have (if it really is and not just a manufacturing defect that I am not ruling out...completely ) is the opposite way...and yes I have quadruple checked the installation instructions.... So if the manufacturer is correct AND if it its truly wear, they seem to be at odds.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Exactly my point. First you asked for others to share their experience. Now you’re asking for credentials, qualifications and certifications? Yet even if those are provided, you still don’t personally know any of us and we haven’t seen your set up. So, two conditions still exist which will allow you to dismiss our answers.

Good luck. Over and out.
Or in my opinion, exactly my point.

Without conditions.... anyone can dismiss anyone's answers in a forum especially when specifics aren't answered.

I wasn't asking for experts to tell me they tow a toad and they personally had pin wear and someone figured out why....

Before I accept answers explaining why one pin can't wear another pin ...or the only motions possible are this or that...or the wear is not possible...sure I would like to see background wise that persons experience and not just another weekend RVer that has the same experience as me but hasn't personally looked over my situation.

I would hope you use the same level of diligence before you jump in your setup and head off into the sunset on a bunch of unsubstantiated internet advice.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #46

You’ve pretty much worn all of us out trying to respond and help.
It’s become apparent no matter what anyone posts to you on this topic, your unwilling to accept what they have to say.
That’s ok. But you can’t continue to ask for help or advise and rebuke it.
Hope you get it figured out!
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
It’s become apparent no matter what anyone posts to you on this topic, your unwilling to accept what they have to say.
X2
Old 04-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #48

The new ones will be elongated on the longitudnal axis just like the ones you have if they are chamfered. A chamfered hole on a diameter will always be elongated relative to side to side. I have done machining work for 50 years and know of know way for it to be other wise unless the sides of the hole is ground out with a small pencil grinder just for looks, has no fucntion. They chamfer the holes to make it easier to insert the keeper clips (hair pins) if you will.
I am sure their is no wear on the pins where the pulling stress is. The shear force to break those pins in the middle is tens of thousands of pounds of force.
Like said by another, go to Tractor supply and look at pins for farm/ranch equipment, will have holes that look like yours.

Just use the pins and do not get a ulcer over thinking a non-exsistant problem.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post

Nailed it. [emoji106]
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow