Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #1

Battery Charger

Bought new F150 3 weeks ago, had Blue Ox Baseplate and Avail tow bar and Air Force 1 added this past week.

I went back and forth on a battery charger, some said add it for security, others stated not needed on F150 toad set up. Went with installing it and completed it this morning. I am not very mechanically inclined so did a lot of reading and video watching.

I installed the RVI Battery Charger and it was pretty simple. I had to tap into the 6 pin on the front of the truck which was pretty clear cut from the videos and was an easier task than I expected. When done I took my truck to where I store my RV, hooked everything up and worked as advertised. While I had it connected I tested all my lights to ensure I did not loosen something while connecting the battery charger to the 6 pin.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I always recommend installing the charge line. There is no downside and it's only a few minutes extra work. Great Job !!
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #3

No need for a seperate charger. I just ran a charge line from the seven pin receptacle on the motorhome to the battery of the toad. The coach charging system just includes the toad battery in it's circuit.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
No need for a seperate charger. I just ran a charge line from the seven pin receptacle on the motorhome to the battery of the toad. The coach charging system just includes the toad battery in it's circuit.
I heard someone do that as well. However, I am connecting the 6 pin from the truck to the 7 pin on the RV to get all my lights. The 12v on the 7 pin was active, so I get the charge through the coiled cable from 6 to 7 pin. This way I get the charge through coiled cable which is connected anyway for all the lights. No additional connections since I tapped into what is already there.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
I heard someone do that as well. However, I am connecting the 6 pin from the truck to the 7 pin on the RV to get all my lights. The 12v on the 7 pin was active, so I get the charge through the coiled cable from 6 to 7 pin. This way I get the charge through coiled cable which is connected anyway for all the lights. No additional connections since I tapped into what is already there.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I did the same as you. (the 12 volt originated at the MH reciprocal) I then ran the 12 volt directly to the battery. On an earlier coach, I discovered a dead toad battery while stopped for a break. I bought some 10 ga wire and ran a single wire from the chassis battery to the toad battery. The toad was fully charged 6 hours later when we stopped.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger