Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Battery dead with brake system

I just purchased a Blue Ox system with a toad brake system. The hook up is quick and easy but I am at a loss as to why the battery in the toad is dead after a 4 hour trip. Is there a trickle charger system that can be added to keep the battery in the toad topped up?
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

Haven't used that system but have had other brakes be an issue after a few days. Need to make sure all toad systems are off. A charge line from MH to keep toad batty up is EZ and your best bet. I installed one and don't bother pulling toad fuses as recommended. There are kits or again EZ as DIY if comfortable with 12V systems.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #3

Yes, there are several chargeline kits some provide only 1-2 amps others up to 15 amps of power, what is appropriate for your system will depend on factors like which braking system do you have, does your TOAD vehicle require the ignition to be active or some subsystems like EPS to be active in tow mode, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Depending on your understanding of vechical electrical systems it is possible to have the RV provide a charge to the tow vechical battery. I run the blue ox patriot 3 also. I have been on the road now for three weeks traveling an average of 4 hours a day with my tow. I anticipated a battery issue so I packed a battery charger with an extension cord. To date there are no issues.
BTW where or how are you powering your rear brake lights from? They consume some juice too.

If you are interisted in the wiring I can pull my as built drawings and share with you.
For the record I do I have a 10 amp slow blow glass fuse protecting the circuit.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote