Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Battery disconnect '22 GMC Duramax for flat tow

Just purchased a '22 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax 4x4 and would like to tow 4 flat using Demco AF1. GM owners manual says to disconnect the NEG side of battery(s), Demco says to disconnect POS side of battery(s). Demco's advice to disconnect POS side(s) and source the AF1 power to the battery side of disconnect allows the AF1 to function in the event of a breakway scenario. Further, Demco states that a ground could, and has in several instances, find it's way back from the coach through the tow bars / wiring.

I've been to and called several GM dealerships in my area, have called GM 800# cust support and spent 1.5 hrs on the phone onlky to be told to follow the manual's directions (Disconnect NEG side of battery (s)). I gather the disconnect is required to prevent the electronic P-brake and steering wheel lock from engaging during towing. I understand that the solenoid disconnects will not handle the amperage draw of a diesel.

Might anyone here have experience or knowledge of the best and safest way (POS or NEG disconnects) to accomplish?
TY
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrig2 View Post
Just purchased a '22 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax 4x4 and would like to tow 4 flat using Demco AF1. GM owners manual says to disconnect the NEG side of battery(s), Demco says to disconnect POS side of battery(s). Demco's advice to disconnect POS side(s) and source the AF1 power to the battery side of disconnect allows the AF1 to function in the event of a breakway scenario. Further, Demco states that a ground could, and has in several instances, find it's way back from the coach through the tow bars / wiring.

I've been to and called several GM dealerships in my area, have called GM 800# cust support and spent 1.5 hrs on the phone onlky to be told to follow the manual's directions (Disconnect NEG side of battery (s)). I gather the disconnect is required to prevent the electronic P-brake and steering wheel lock from engaging during towing. I understand that the solenoid disconnects will not handle the amperage draw of a diesel.

Might anyone here have experience or knowledge of the best and safest way (POS or NEG disconnects) to accomplish?

TY
Have you looked at Blue Ox's or Demco's website for battery disconnect switches? Should be able to disconnect battery from chassis but run separate wires for supplemental brake system

Not the same thing but I bought 2 fuse bypass switches from BO for towing my GMC Acadia and they work wonderfully.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I didn't do it myself but my "body shop guy" put in a manual knife switch for me that isolates the battery completely. I have to open the hood to open the switch, which is not a problem. This is on a "22 Silverado 1500 w/ a Duramax 6.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:25 AM   #4

Mine is not a full size but on my Colorado I got a switch from Summit Racing. Put it under hood and disconnected Pos cable. Haven't had any problems in 4 years.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2022 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali. Had a pro install it 4 months ago. Here is a picture of my setup with the battery switch. I have numerous towing trips (about 4,000 miles) under my belt.

Two things I have learned towing this GMC;

1. After testing for transfer case neutral by going into forward or reverse go back to transmission neutral and idle for 10 seconds before going into transmission park. That avoids the nasty grinding noise.
2. Certain events during the procedure can cause the parking brake to come back on prior to the final step (disconnect battery). Always do one final check of the dash before disconnecting the battery - parking brake off, transfer case N, transmission P. I have not pinpointed exactly why the parking brake brake comes back on but it happens one out of every 7-10 times I go through the procedure. I have caught it a couple times. Turning parking brake off as the final step worked just fine - I did not have to go back through the whole procedure. I did drag my rear tires twice before perfecting my process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMC Battery.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	377976  
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #6

Here is what I use on my GMC Duramax on the negative post. Easy and works great.

WirthCo 20138 Battery Doctor... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBND0...p_mob_ap_share
rvrrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you to all for your responses and pics. Gives me a bit more confidence moving forward.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #8

I have a solenoid switch wired to a button inside cab. Works great. Just completed a trip of 10,600 miles.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw7213 View Post
I have a solenoid switch wired to a button inside cab. Works great. Just completed a trip of 10,600 miles.
ejw7213,

Do you know the rating for your disconnect?
Is your setup with a diesel?

My understanding is that the solenoid disconnects wont handle, over time, the amperage draw of a diesel...

Glad yours is working
Old 10-05-2022, 09:33 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
I have a 2022 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali. Had a pro install it 4 months ago. Here is a picture of my setup with the battery switch. I have numerous towing trips (about 4,000 miles) under my belt.

1. After testing for transfer case neutral by going into forward or reverse go back to transmission neutral and idle for 10 seconds before going into transmission park. That avoids the nasty grinding noise.

2. Certain events during the procedure can cause the parking brake to come back on prior to the final step (disconnect battery). Always do one final check of the dash before disconnecting the battery - parking brake off, transfer case N, transmission P. I have not pinpointed exactly why the parking brake brake comes back on but it happens one out of every 7-10 times I go through the procedure. I have caught it a couple times. Turning parking brake off as the final step worked just fine - I did not have to go back through the whole procedure. I did drag my rear tires twice before perfecting my process.
RVStitchy,

Great pic! Ty. Close to what i think I'll end up with.
Before perfecting your list you mentioned dragging 2x. Do you know what triggered the Pbrake engagement?
Old 10-05-2022, 09:36 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Have you looked at Blue Ox's or Demco's website for battery disconnect switches? Should be able to disconnect battery from chassis but run separate wires for supplemental brake system

Not the same thing but I bought 2 fuse bypass switches from BO for towing my GMC Acadia and they work wonderfully.
Hey Chris,

I have purchased 2 of the Demco disconnects. About to install. Still hoping i am on the right path.

TY for your response / suggestion.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrig2 View Post
Hey Chris,

I have purchased 2 of the Demco disconnects. About to install. Still hoping i am on the right path.

TY for your response / suggestion.
I looked at the Demco Disconnect Switch video (part picture below) on eTrailer and it should work for you. The video on eTrailer says it's for the positive post.

Same as you mentioned in your OP that the automatic version with the solenoid doesn't play well with diesel engines at start up - which would have been my first choice since it has built in wiring available for supplemental brake power units. Pricey too but it seems to have it all.

A post above seems to show something similar, and it may be the Demco Automatic, but I didn't take the link. It is possible that one may work for you. But what you bought should work for you. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221006-074942_Chrome.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	378056
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #13

It was professionally installed, but is pulled by a diesel. The disconnect on my Chevy Silverado z71 is as large as the disconnect for the batteries on my motorhome. I don’t know what the actual disconnect size is. All I have to do after connecting to the rv is put the truck in neutral and reach under the dash and hit a button.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post

Did the same switch on my blazer. I like that its well insulated.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect, tow