Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't apologise for using a tow dolly. Many do.

There is nothing wrong with them and loading can be streamlined with some changes.

My dolly came with the winches I referenced and I tossed the safety chains the second trip.
I thread vinyl coated steel cables, clamped to the turn table, thru the wheels and clip them to quick links.

Not really apologizing. I like the simplicity of flat towing but the tow dolly should do fine for us for a few years. We bought the dolly with cash but certainly would have financed something new to us to flat tow so financially its the way to go as well. And the dolly takes up a lot less space around the house than another vehicle would.
John_Penzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #16

The OEM ratchet strap locks on my Master Tow dolly will also release using a screwdriver or similar tool, if you can open the ratchet handle to about 90 degrees:

Open ratchet to about 90 degrees, insert screwdriver underneath rolled up strap and thru the hole, push down on screwdriver to unlock and yank on the strap tail when it unlocks and the strap will unwind.

Our Taurus fenders sometimes prevent opening the ratchet strap lock handle 180 degrees, so I've been unlocking with a screwdriver for several years. This is vaguely described in the owners manual and it works very well. Hope this helps.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
i use a screwdriver to undo my ratches it works great and if the front rubs lower the hitch
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
The OEM ratchet strap locks on my Master Tow dolly will also release using a screwdriver or similar tool, if you can open the ratchet handle to about 90 degrees:

Open ratchet to about 90 degrees, insert screwdriver underneath rolled up strap and thru the hole, push down on screwdriver to unlock and yank on the strap tail when it unlocks and the strap will unwind.

Our Taurus fenders sometimes prevent opening the ratchet strap lock handle 180 degrees, so I've been unlocking with a screwdriver for several years. This is vaguely described in the owners manual and it works very well. Hope this helps.

Thanks Stephen. That's very helpful. I'm somewhat relieved I'm not the only one with the issue. I'll take a look at the manual and look for that workaround. I did just order a pair of the US Cargo ratchets that require a wrench or ratchet (no handles built in) and I'll still see about coming up with a mount that will allow me to use them without making a permanent modification to the dolly.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:42 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
I have the same problem, and carry a screwdriver to pop the release instead of having to open the ratchet up all the way. And I have a Hyundai Elantra. Same issue.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
i use a screwdriver to undo my ratches it works great and if the front rubs lower the hitch

Thanks. But if what rubs? I had to flip and raise the ball/hitch 5" on mine since the receiver on our older dutch star is extremely low. I did notice when we tried to load up that new blazer that the rear section (ramps) did not quite go down far enough to lock the trailer in the travel position. I had the coach and trailer in kind of a goofy part of the driveway so didn't think too much of it at the time and then got distracted with the other issue.

The really low hitch is making it very difficult for me to figure out how to carry a toad AND bikes with us. Most of our toad's will not have trailer hitch receivers. Not crazy about hanging them off the ladder.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I have the same problem, and carry a screwdriver to pop the release instead of having to open the ratchet up all the way. And I have a Hyundai Elantra. Same issue.

OK, again, this makes me feel better. We're going to try again next weekend with a little cadillac SUV that I'm sure will have the same clearance issues up front.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #22

And you better check what you pull on the dolly, all can't be pulled with the rear wheels on the ground. would say the blazer can't, or the suv if it is all wheel drive. Only front wheel drive.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
And you better check what you pull on the dolly, all can't be pulled with the rear wheels on the ground. would say the blazer can't, or the suv if it is all wheel drive. Only front wheel drive.

We're just dolly towing FWD vehicles right now. No AWD's.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly