Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would have to say Ford Fiesta S with manual tran is about as easy and cheap as it gets. Emergency brake off, key out and GO! About 2,500 pounds, comfortable, almost 40 MPG and really fun to drive.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
You can install a battery disconnect on the negative side , so that way you just flip a switch off & on.
The other downside is you loose all your radio presets everytime .
This was a problem Ford was not originally aware of . Similar happened with the 2010? Ford Escape, also the Chevy Cruze
It is an easy fix on the radio. All you have to do is run a ground from the radio to the negative ground of the battery. That will save the memory.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #45

Just started search for a 4-down toad. A 2015 or 2016 Lincoln MKZ (similar size to a Ford Fusion) with a 3.7 liter engine looks very easy per its owner's manual. No need to disconnect negative battery terminal and easy neutral tow mode setup. 65 MPH speed limit. Start engine every 6 hours. Anyone with experience with this vehicle? Do Owner's manual instructions reflect reality of flat towing this vehicle? Thanks.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #46

According to Remco your Lincoln is good to go .
I don't trust what the owners manual says . There have been a number of cars , that originally said in owners manual can be flat towed , only to later find out cannot . But it already says in the manual . Chevy Cruze is one example .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #47

We used a 2011 Ford Explorer with no issues. The instructions in the ford manual never failed us. We do stop on average of every three hours ourselves though and I cycle through everything again as an extra precaution. We have four kids though and a stop every three hours works well so they can stretch their legs and not our patience. You can purchase an optional pump to keep your fluids cycling but as we stop often it never concerned me or my ford dealership. We upgraded to a Ford Expedition this November so I'm excited to have the larger dingy. We spoke to several others with F150's as a dingy and no issues were reported.
OlKYHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
OIKYHome, how does it work with the Expedition, and what model years?

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #49

We have a 2015 Ford Expedition, all you need to do is rotate the drive selector knob 5 times (Stop to Stop) which shifts the trans case to neutral. Then make sure the key is in accessory position and your good to go. I believe Ford made this change in 2012. Our 2012 F150 had the same transfer case. I also have a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500. The sequence to get to Neutral is more complicated, you also have to have a battery disconnect.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks! I have been thinking about the Expedition. Sounds like it can't get more simple. I am also considering a Suburban, I like the newer ones, but I've been a Ford man all my life. We'll see.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
OIKYHome, how does it work with the Expedition, and what model years?

W.D.

I'm not certain on all the year models. We went with the 2016 4x4 push start because of our relationship with our local Ford dealer and the offers available at the time. I particularly liked the fact that it did not have any speed restrictions. I typically hang out around 60mph anyway but I live in a hilly area and it's nice not being being restricted to a specific speed on a down hill coast followed by an uphill pull like I was with the explorer. Hookup typically takes me less than 10 minutes with a triple check of my set up out of paranoia. Here is a link to the 2016 Expedition owners manual. Check out page 217. http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/se...expedition.pdf
OlKYHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info!

Regards,
W.D.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep differences?

Hello All,
For starters, let me say I am a bit apprehensive in using the forum. Forgive me if I am in the wrong place or asking the wrong questions. I noticed this one is where everyone is discussing the tow vehicles...

My husband and I have just ordered (new) our FIRST motorhome (Newmar Mountain Aire) and will be selling the "sticks and bricks" as you call it in May and jumping in the deep end as full timers! Never been on the road, never towed a vehicle, never driven a motorhome! Yikes! Before we scare you ALL off the road, I can assure you we are taking a 3 day motorhome driving course from a professional before we pull out.

Now to my question...It has to do with towing a vehicle. We have just about settled on either a Honda CRV or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Leaning toward the Jeep, but there are several kinds and I don't know if it makes a difference between them. (Limited, Summit, Overland, etc) ???
Some are 2X4. Some are 4X4. What does that even mean and which is better (read: easier) to tow or does it make a difference? Or can you ONLY tow the 4X4s?

We are going to tow it 4 down. The braking system is called an M&G, I think. And I guess we will need a bar or plate for the vehicle to be attached to the coach and assume that is the Blue Ox thing.

Sorry, my expertise is NOT in cars, so I know my questions are basic and probably funny to experts like you. But I would really appreciate some information that I can understand.

Many many thanks for any help you can give me.

"Newbie" Ruth Cain and my DH Frank Cain
Plano, TX (at the moment)
but soon-to-be nomads roaming the USA!
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire (on order)
No Toad (yet)
ruthccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #54

Ruthccain, you don't mention what year CRV you are looking at. The newer ones cannot be flat towed, so the year matters. On the Jeeps, the transmission matters as not all of the 4x4's can be flat towed.
We decided on a 16 GMC Acadia because it met other needs. We've towed it fine on short trips. It says we need to run it every gas stop (which isn't that frequent with a 100 gal fuel tank on the RV), so we don't know how inconvenient that is going to be. We have everything else hooked up to make the connect:disconnect pretty painless, including switches to avoid pulling fuses.
Good luck with your new endeavor!
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
For the Jeep Grand Cherokees, only 4x4 models with the Quadra Trac II or the Quadra Drive II drive systems can be flat towed.

From my knowledge Quadra Trac II is standard on Limited, Overland and Summit, can be ordered optional on the Laredo. The Quadra Drive II adds a rear Electronic Limited Slip Differential (ELSD), and is optional on the Limited, Overland, and Summit. Note the SRT model CANNOT be flat towed.

Please be aware the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee are different lines; if you wish to purchase a more cost efficient Cherokee, only the 4x4 models with the 2 speed transfer case (i.e. has a 4x4 low capability) can be flat towed. The Cherokee has the the Active Drive System - it may only be the Active Drive II, and Active Drive Lock in the Lattitude, Limited, and Trailhawk. Others with the Cherokee may have better knowledge.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Ok. This is wonderful information.
As far as the Honda CRV goes, what do I need to look for in model/year? What constitutes "older model"?
And what exactly does 4X4 mean?
Thanks again.
Ruth (and Frank, working in the office)
ruthccain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow