RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
PKI

Best Jeep dealer

Search does not seem to turn up a thread, so let's start one.

Is there a best jeep dealer to contact for the purchase of a new toad?

Main interest is in acquiring a new Cherokee, but the focus needs to be a dealer who has the technical expertise to support conversion to toad operation, an understanding of the required options, a decent inventory of toad capable vehicles, and good pricing. Hoping to find a resource in middle America. But willing to make a road trip to get the toad.

When our son purchased his Corvette, there were a couple of dealers that specialized in selling Corvettes. When we ordered a BMW there was a fellow who did super Internet deals. But I can't find any dealers that do similar for the Jeep product. Guess there might be a better forum than I have tried, but Toads are an RV deal and should have some content on an RV forum.

What you got?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any particular area of the country?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
PKI

Arch - we are in CA, but it's not that big of a deal to travel to buy. Nice thing about RVing is the distance thing is just part of the fun ..... another road trip.

Now, truthfully - less likely to source from New Jersey or similar, but something in or around Jeep's Toledo complex in Ohio, might work out reasonably well.

Also the possibility of shipping to us, if pickup is problematic.

The Cherokees that come close to what we think we want seem to be in the Denver area. But we did find a 2020 about 20 miles down the road from us. The default will be a special order from a local dealer.

But the question was - is there a best Jeep dealer?

Now, disclaimer - a few years back, we thought we would get a Cadillac. Ended up with a BMW. There is a distinct possibility that if a better brand is identified, that might be the new direction. No loyalty to Jeep here. However, Jeep is loyal to RVers, and that is appreciated.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

I would think that a Jeep Dealer would not be the best choice for setting one up to be towed. Wouldn't think that they do that very often. May be better off getting the best deal on the Jeep & then having a specialty shop set it up to tow. That would be a major part of their business so you would think they would have the most expertise in that area.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I would think that a Jeep Dealer would not be the best choice for setting one up to be towed. -- snip --
Roy - you may be correct. An up fitter might be the best or maybe we'll just DIY. But, king for the expertise from this group seems sensible. Hard to believe all the Jeep dealers in the USA are clueless and just order takers. Also, seems like there should be a good value priced dealer out there ready to move stock. This thread should be an information sharing opportunity, but maybe all the Jeep dealers across th USA are the same.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #6

As I understand it, right now the dealers can sell every Jeep they can get their hands on. ( kind of like RV's ) I am not thinking you will get a great deal from any of them.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
PKI

Best Jeep Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
As I understand it, right now the dealers can sell every Jeep they can get their hands on. -- snip -- .
Gee Roy, guess I'll just have to wait until next year. Thanks for the information.

https://www.jeep.com/lineup.incentiv...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #8

Don't know if it's still accurate but Jeep used to occupy 4 out of the top ten most popular toads among RVers. Cherokee is a crazy popular choice and for good reason. Great vehicle, great toad, and EASY to make tow ready. I just find it hard to believe a guy would have to go out of his own back yard to find a Cherokee (with Active Drive II) or a dealer with a service department capable of doing the mods. I have done my own toad prep on vehicles for 25 years. Got a new Wrangler recently & I installed the base plate but decided to let the dealer install the wiring. My dealer (Shawnee KS) not a big town does this kind of work all day long.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #9
PKI

I'm from Kansas too - Wichita

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
-- snip -- I just find it hard to believe a guy would have to go out of his own back yard to find a Cherokee (with Active Drive II) or a dealer with a service department capable of doing the mods. -- snip -- .
Jayhawks - just to clarify - the question was asked, not to suggest that local dealers are not capable of providing TOAD service. Obviously, as you point out, some can. The point was to see if there was a stand out Jeep dealer.

On the Active Drive II - the Trailhawk is available. What is more difficult to find is the combination of passenger lumbar support, onboard navigation, ADII and an interior/exterior color that we can live with for 20 years. But that is our problem.

Thank you for the information on the Shawnee, KS dealer.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #10

Wife grew up in Wichita! I studied/researched the Trailhawk for months. Wife & I were due for car replacement same time & it was her turn to get the towable vehicle. We were both in love with the Trailhawk. I had everything set up for her to stop in & order a 21 Trailhawk Elite. I have a small business & have a fleet plan with FCA. She came home & explained they didn't make the "Elite" for 21 & leather wasn't available in the Trailhawk so she got a Grand Cherokee instead??? She quickly explained, no worries it's towable which I already knew. Problem is we expected to start dabbling in going off road & IMO the GC is a little "nice" for that. I nixed towing the GC & now it was up to me AGAIN to choose a daily driver that's towable. Long story short I landed on a 21 Wrangler. Everytime we see a Trailhawk we both wonder if we shouldn't have gone that way. Oh, lastly I got the 2.0L turbo in the JL & love it. We would have chose the 3.3L in the Trailhawk but now I recommend the turbo.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
-- snip -- Oh, lastly I got the 2.0L turbo in the JL & love it. We would have chose the 3.3L in the Trailhawk but now I recommend the turbo.
Always believed the NA to be a better long term solution and more reliable. On the fence now as lighter weight is a good choice and there is a distinct advantage with the turbo at altitude. What may shift the decision is the requirement for regular vs premium fuel.

Yes, we too, were looking at the 2020 TH Elite. For 2021 the elite elements are standard on the Limited, you can get ADII, and there is a choice of interior color. For our use profile, we don't need the rear locker. Pat
Old 11-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #12

I would have chose the V6 in the Wrangler also. Only way was to get that in the Sport was with a stick shift or the etorque (mild hybrid) deal. I wanted neither or those more than I disliked the turbo choice. Just a couple quick things to share on the turbo that are likely going to be true in the Trailhawk also. It doesn't require premium fuel my owners manual says minimum of 87. I'm just running 87. In the Wrangler, the 0-60 time is fastest with the turbo over the 3.6L AND the 3.0L diesel. Granted the diesel has gobs of torque etc. Lastly the mpg's are understated with the turbo. Mine is rated 20/24 and I'm averaging 24.5 with mixed but mostly stop & go. Just some thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24.5 mpg.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	309606  
Old 11-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
PKI

An 87 octane requirement may push us the other way if it's not a take what you can get deal. Certainly will make the turbo an easier choice. Thanks for that information. Pat
Old 11-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Search does not seem to turn up a thread, so let's start one.

Is there a best jeep dealer to contact for the purchase of a new toad?

Main interest is in acquiring a new Cherokee, but the focus needs to be a dealer who has the technical expertise to support conversion to toad operation, an understanding of the required options, a decent inventory of toad capable vehicles, and good pricing. Hoping to find a resource in middle America. But willing to make a road trip to get the toad.

When our son purchased his Corvette, there were a couple of dealers that specialized in selling Corvettes. When we ordered a BMW there was a fellow who did super Internet deals. But I can't find any dealers that do similar for the Jeep product. Guess there might be a better forum than I have tried, but Toads are an RV deal and should have some content on an RV forum.

What you got?

Tadd Jenkins Auto Group
Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, jeep