Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
I'm interested in the LoD bumper. Would anyone recommend the powder coat option?
Never towed a vehicle long distance nor own a MH yet, but the Jeep is on my very short list.
Any insight would be welcome.
Thanks
Tom
Really depends on how you'll use the Jeep or how often you see the bumper getting "road/rock rash". Mine takes somewhat of a beating so I got paint (I've already repainted about 1/2 of it). I will say these bumpers are not just for looks...I sideswiped a tree and nothing happened but scratch the paint. Also VERY glad I got full width..in this particular incident I would have ripped the right front fender off...all I ended up doing was a little wetsanding on the turn signal and it was fine..bumper took all the beating and needed nothing but paint.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At most, you are looking at 5 hours of shop labor to install the baseplate, electrical tailight wiring, a built-in non-portable brake control system, and a toad battery charger line with controller.

The price for the components varies widly, that's where the shop is making their profit.

Google and or Amazon will give you the lowest retail prices for your components. Your quote is in the high side, but still in the ballpark, (in a private suite).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #31

Thanks. I am familiar with powder coating, just wasn't sure to its worth on the bumper.
I think you guys are much more adventurous than we will be but who knows.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #32

I chose the powder coat option on my LoD bumper because I live in MN. The winters here can be harsh, and combined with sand and salt, I think this finish will hold up better than just paint. I've had good results with powder coated exterior parts on other vehicles in the past. Plus, I noticed that LoD adds zinc to their powder which provides added protection against corrosion. I hope this was $80 (for the mid-width) well spent but it can't hurt.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #33

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I also wanted an aftermarket bumper, and many of the baseplates say that they'll only work with the OEM bumper. LoD and RockHard were the only brands I could find that have tow tabs available on their bumpers, and LoD's mid-width was less-expensive than the full-width RockHard model. I have this on order with welded tabs for my Blue Ox towbar. I now need a braking system and am torn between the SMI AFO (about $3k installed by my RV dealer) and a portable system like the Blue Ox Patriot (about $1300 from my RV dealer).

Is the $3,000 for the installation only of the SMI AFO? That seems high. AFO cost about $1,000 - $1,250. I would think it would take less than 8 hours to install at about $110 an hour, I would think it would cost less than$1,000. But what do I know, I'm still doing mine own research. So let us know what you find out and decide.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Is the $3,000 for the installation only of the SMI AFO? That seems high. AFO cost about $1,000 - $1,250. I would think it would take less than 8 hours to install at about $110 an hour, I would think it would cost less than$1,000. But what do I know, I'm still doing mine own research. So let us know what you find out and decide.
The $3000 quoted by the dealer was parts and installation. I'm not sure what the breakdown was but I think you're approximately right with the $1000 to $1250 for the brake and related parts. I was told that because I have a Spartan chassis, the installation requires the purchase and installation of a "pink tank". Because I lost interest in the AFO product after hearing the price, I didn't pursue this and ask what a pink tank was for.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #35

Jimmy12,
I purchased a hood and grill bra for my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Installed it and it really saved my paint job. We traveled out west this summer and back to Florida. If I would not have done that it would have been a front end paint job. Look for vehicle Bras on internet.
cauffield64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Currie Enterprises here. Not saying it's the best but it works pretty good doesn't standout and not overly expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Hot Rod Power Tour 094.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	115364   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Hot Rod Power Tour 092.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	115365  

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #37

I have tow my 2003 jeep wrangler with RV'S and love how easy it is to hook up and tow. I had a custom front bumper made (with a 2 inch hitch so I could put a tray in front. Wench mount, and pad eyes for putting shackles in to be towed out when stuck). I told them I was going to use the pad eyes with a tow bar to tow the jeep, they said no problem. I had another shop build a steel tow bar, to bolt into the pad eyes.
The system has worked great for over 10 years now.
To put the tow bar on, it is 2 bolts with keepers. To hookup, we drive within 3 feet of the hitch and then push the Jeep forward to hook it up (I can do it by myself). I don't use additional brakes because the Jeep is about 3000 lbs and legal.
Cost for the bumper and hitch was about $500. It goes on and off easy (2 bolts and safety chains), and the bumper looks good.

Tags
tow