Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
All are good and each to his own, I have the new Rvi3, very easy to install and remove after the trip. I started with the M&G but returned it as it was a pain to try installing it in our 2008 Jeep Liberty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #44

The Brakes Work On My Side!

That’s a ha-ha for all of us who are the navigators for our pilot drivers. We first had this really involved system to place on the driver’s floor and hope you did it right each time. We used it for one trip and quickly purchased and installed the Air Force One. Now we just put the plug in and works awesome!
JodeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
We went with an Air Force One system about 18 months ago and have been extremely satisfied. I like being able to look into the rear camera and get a visual indication that the system is working when the air brakes are applied (small LED light bar mounted on the back of the TOAD’s rear view mirror). A bit pricey but great piece of mind, for us.
JWEibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been pleased with the M&G on my 2007 Dodge Dakota. Our gas coach came with the Roadmaster air compressor for the 9000 series. It worked perfectly with the M&G - only required changing one quick disconnect.
JoefromCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #47
BJH

Tiffin Owners Club
AF1 for 8 yrs/3 toads/1 coach and 2 BlueOx tow bars...best setup for me. Quick and easy as has been said. I opted to buy the remote "brake applied" gadget with the latest toad install just for assurance/peace-of-mind since I could rarely see the "in-the toad" LED light
Via the rear coach camera and I rather be watching the road ahead when braking anyway!

I vote for AirForce 1 and be done.
BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #48

Airforce One Brake system

I had my Airforce One installed in 2011 on my 2002 used coach. It has been a simple connect since then. Just plug in the air line and connect the emergency breakaway cable and you are connected. Open the door of the car and watch the brake peddle go down when the coach brake is pushed and you are off. I love it! We driven it over fifty thousand miles since then with zero problems. The toad is a Chevy HHR 2011.
Jfhansma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeBus View Post
Could you give more info on your build and install?
A 1.5” diameter air cylinder puts the right amount of force on the bottom of the brake pedal once you bleed the vacuum off. I used a normal tarp bungee strap to pull the rod back. Using a simple small rope loop to fasten the end of the rod to the brake pedal takes 5 seconds. Running a 3/16th airline with quick connections is easy enough and any system has to tap onto the MH’s brake system to get air when needed. I used an extra plug on the air brake chamber (no T needed or tapping into the larger brake lines) on one of my tag axles brake chambers.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #50

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
A 1.5” diameter air cylinder puts the right amount of force on the bottom of the brake pedal once you bleed the vacuum off. I used a normal tarp bungee strap to pull the rod back. Using a simple small rope loop to fasten the end of the rod to the brake pedal takes 5 seconds. Running a 3/16th airline with quick connections is easy enough and any system has to tap onto the MH’s brake system to get air when needed. I used an extra plug on the air brake chamber (no T needed or tapping into the larger brake lines) on one of my tag axles brake chambers.

Sounds easy enough. I’m going to try and copy your handywork
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
air force one!

DITTO! Did the install my self.

This system has no add-ons. If you loose your towed, for some strange reason, the break a way switch operates and the towed breaks are applied.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #52

Attended a seminar at a FMCA rally and was in the market for a brake system and asked that golden question- What's the best one out there? The Blue Ox rep said, "M&G". I had mine installed at an authorized shop in Nashville, TN. Never looked back. Supremely satisfied.

Phil
pyoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #53

Toad Braking

I installed a Roadmaster 9160. Bought used on Craigslist complete for $200, that included the breakaway system. Been using it for 10 years no problem. I like it's simplicity. Installed it myself.
One tip, I put a separate brake light switch that Then ran a wire up through the toad/coach connector with an LED light on the coach dash. That light lets me know for absolute sure that the brake pedal is being depressed.
good luck,
Irvwith2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #54

M&G and after install is only one connection to tow. Connect air line connection! How can it get any easier.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH View Post
AF1 for 8 yrs/3 toads/1 coach and 2 BlueOx tow bars...best setup for me. Quick and easy as has been said. I opted to buy the remote "brake applied" gadget with the latest toad install just for assurance/peace-of-mind since I could rarely see the "in-the toad" LED light
Via the rear coach camera and I rather be watching the road ahead when braking anyway!

I vote for AirForce 1 and be done.

As you can see from my signature, same equipment. I built a remote break light. I have a FOB transmitter in the car. The battery from the break lights powers it. I shorted the FOB button. Breaks on, FOB transmits. Wired the AF1 light strip to the receiver. Works great. Mounts on the coach dash. I don't have the exhaust break light option. Doesn't seem to matter.

AF1 support was great when SMI produced it. I see that the company is under a new banner. I hope the support is still good.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #56

Air Force One for me. And I am very happy after 6 years. Only problem I ever had was hooked up mid-day (in a hurry). With the glare on the windshield could not see the activation light in the rear view camera. Got under shade trees and no light. Stopped and the air line was not ingaged completely, snapped it into place, back in the cockpit, brake on, activation light on. And off we went. Installed it myself on both MH and Toad. It was a full day but I'm very picky. And I had access to a truck shop with a pit.
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air brakes, brake, brakes, toad