Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We had to disconnect the battery in our '07 Wrangler. I installed a simple blade switch on the negative battery post. 5 seconds to disconnect or reconnect
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1255 View Post
I was hoping for a relatively fast hookup and tow and unhook and go, but that might just be the laziness talking if that's not how these things work.

We use Blue Ox tow bar and AF1 air brakes. AF1 uses the air brakes on the coach to activate the power brakes on the Toad. It even has a little brake light on the back of the rear view mirror that illuminates when you press the air brake. AF1 also wires the toad brake lights and tail lights to illuminate with the coach. I also had another wire run from the coach to the toad battery so it stays charged when towing.

So when I hook up...
1. Hook up tow bar
2. fasten safety chains
3. plug in light cord
4. snap in air brake line
5. attach emergency break away
6. Explorer in nuetral

away we go.
About as simple as it gets.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
Cbenman,
How do you know when your 4WD is in neutral. I looked at a couple yesterday and the knob just shows 2WD and 4WD. What am I missing?
There is a small light that comes on the dial after you hold the knob for about 5 seconds to the right. I have also read the procedure is similar on the 2021's as I will start to look at a new Denali next year.
Cbenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #18

Thanks for the reply
I discovered that the neutral position is only available on Premier Tahoes, Suburbans and Yukon and XL Denali.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #19

I am towing a 2015 Chevy suburban behind my 40’ diesel pusher. It is a huge car but we have a family of six and like to have a real 3rd row and space in the cargo area with all 3 rows used. I’m about 200 lb over the GCWR with full fresh water tank and full fuel in both vehicles. So with half fuel it is in limits. I had a battery cutoff installed so all I have to do is push a button in the car and it toggles the battery off. Works like a charm. Note you need to discount the battery fully, not just the negative terminal. A reputable installer knows this. I use the Air Force One braking system and the installer did a flip-down license plate to conceal and protect all the fittings for a really clean look. To the post above, you may not have a compatible transfer case...if you do not see 4 low, you probably don’t have the barely-visible “N” to the right of the transfer case dial. In that case you’re out of luck.
MattyA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad