RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Best toad for large family?

I'm trying to find a good toad vehicle for a 43' diesel pusher for a family of 6. We currently own a Honda Odyssey but the owner's manual does not recommend towing.

Looking for a vehicle that has high reliability ratings and is manufacturer approved for flat towing.

If a transmission pump has to be added to make it work I would be ok with it, but I don't know if it would still be ok if it goes against manufacturer approval.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
rookie1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #2

Best toad for large family?

These are larger vehicles that are 4 down towable.

The first column is the base curb weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	302793

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	302794

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	302795
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks. That's very helpful. Does everyone have to go through these procedures when towing and then detaching their vehicle? Seems like a lot of procedures and grabbing tools for the battery cable each time. I was hoping for a relatively fast hookup and tow and unhook and go, but that might just be the laziness talking if that's not how these things work.
rookie1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Several different kinds and types of battery disconnect switches on the market.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have flat towed a few vehicles.

I started in 2008 with a Chrysler Town and Country Minivan that sat 8 when my sons were smaller and always had a few friends tagging along. Bought it new and spent about $4000 to outfit it for flat towing - Remco pump, light harness, tow bar, brake buddy. All worked well until the outside ambient temp hit about 83 degrees. At that point, even with the Remco pump working, the minivan trans fluid overheated, foamed and would not cool or pump. After a year, got tired of that fiasco and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

GC is a dream to tow. Pop the transfer case into neutral, pop the brake buddy in and away you go. I'm on my second GC and have towed them 10's of thousands of miles with no trouble. But they only seat 5.

Last year I bought a 2019 Ford Expedition Max as it can be flat towed and has room for 8 even with car seats for the grandkids. My winter project is to buy a tow bar and install it. All tow mode changes are done from the dashboard. No battery disconnect required.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #6

Dodge Durango has 3 rows of seating. Seven seatbelts but six fit a lot better. 4x4 can be easily flat towed if you get the correct model.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1255 View Post
Thanks. That's very helpful. Does everyone have to go through these procedures when towing and then detaching their vehicle? Seems like a lot of procedures and grabbing tools for the battery cable each time. I was hoping for a relatively fast hookup and tow and unhook and go, but that might just be the laziness talking if that's not how these things work.

Each vehicle is different when it comes to putting it into tow mode. The easiest seem to be the Jeepís, but Iíve found our Ford Ranger to be simple as well. Chevy/GMC seem to require pulling a battery cable on their vehicles, but as someone pointed out you can install a battery disconnect to make that process easier.

The reality is, as cars become more of computer than they used too, towing seems to get a bit more complicated, but not impossible.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #8

If you go with the GM product, just have the installer do a battery disconnect switch under the dash.
Inexpensive to install and a quick push of a small button under the dash kills the power. Itís really simple.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:29 AM   #9

Consider a Ford Flex, with 6 or 7 passenger seating (depending on if it has second row bucket or bench seats), my wife had a 2015 Flex SEL fully loaded with all the options, that was unfortunately totaled by a teenager in a Yukon running a red light. Overall a good "family" vehicle and also flat towable.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Late model Ford Expedition doesnít need a battery disconnect; seats 8. There is still a procedure you have to follow but itís all menu options from the steering wheel controls.

Have to get 4x4 with the neutral tow capable transfer case (the heavy duty towing package was the option in Ď19).

I recommend the baseplate installer run a charge line because the transmission can be damaged if the battery dies while being towed. But itís a good practice for all vehicles.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Most any front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicle ought to be 4-down towable with the addition of a transmission lube pump, so that opens up your options a lot. Pretty much all the crossover SUVs except those with CVT transmissions, for example.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #12

We tow a 2017 Suburban Premier 4 wheel drive.
At first the process seemed complicated, however after a few times it gets done in about three minutes overall including lifting the hood and disconnecting the battery cable. The reason for that step is to not allow the steering wheel to lock in position so the front tires can track with the MH.
I would suggest the simple disconnect at the battery and I will install before next year.
Having the family in comfort at our stops and be able to take some extended drives away from camp is really nice.
Cbenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you want a large SUV that can carry 6 in comfort, probably the GM Suburban & Yukon 4WD models is the best choice. You get real 3-row seating. A Chevy Traverse would work as well, though not quite as roomy.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #14

Cbenman,
How do you know when your 4WD is in neutral. I looked at a couple yesterday and the knob just shows 2WD and 4WD. What am I missing?

Tags
toad