Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #1

Best Tow Bar

I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with an automatic transmission. I will be flat towing behind a 30' class c.

What is the best tow bar?

Here is what I am looking at
https://www.extremeterrain.com/smitt...-yj-tj-jk.html

What do you guys like?
HDRider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 07:23 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem with tow bars like that which have fixed arms is they are a pain to connect. It takes two people with one guiding onto the hitch. A collapsing arm tow bar like the Demcos, Blue Ox, etc are much easier since you don't have to be exact with alignment, then just back up with the toad to lock the bar. I have had both BO and Demco, and I much prefer the Demco Excalibar II.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The problem with tow bars like that which have fixed arms is they are a pain to connect. It takes two people with one guiding onto the hitch. A collapsing arm tow bar like the Demcos, Blue Ox, etc are much easier since you don't have to be exact with alignment, then just back up with the toad to lock the bar. I have had both BO and Demco, and I much prefer the Demco Excalibar II.
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Demco-Excali-.../dp/B004IVZYU8

Big price difference
HDRider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
Community Moderator

The Smittybilt Adjustable Tow Bar Kit has fixed arms so will be challenging to connect to your jeep without someone in the toad moving it forward and reverse. I have a blue ox with arms that collapse & extend to lock for easy hook-up and disconnect.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider1960 View Post
I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with an automatic transmission. I will be flat towing behind a 30' class c.

What do you guys like?
I use the Roadmaster All-Terrain and hook it up with no help. Just need to get it close as the the two bars move in and out and when hooked up just back up till they lock in place, so at least to me it's easy to hook up with no help.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Been using that Smittybilt basic towbar for years.
Not much to go wrong, and they work just fine. Unlike what others say, once you figure out your line up procedure there's no issue hooking up to the hitch. The jeeps light enough I just leave it in neutral and have zero issues hitching by myself.
Is it the "best"? Of course not, but for occasional use its tough to beat for the money. If we were full time hooking up and disconnecting every day I'd probably go with the Demco, Blue Ox or Roadmaster collapsible style. Either way, invest in a good braking system and rated safety chains.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #7

Check out Ready Brake's Ready Brute. It's a tow bar with an integral braking system. The braking system is purely mechanical and not dependent on electricity, electronics or vacuum and there's nothing to take and out of your vehicle. I have the braking system without the tow bar, which I already had:

https://www.readybrake.com/
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider1960 View Post

What do you guys like?
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain. It’s non-binding and easy to hook up to the toad. I have towed my 15 Equinox roughly 4,000 miles with it this year with no issues.

There really in no “best” tow bar as there are a lot of very reputable ones out there. What may be best for me may not be best for you. Good luck with your research and with whatever tow bar you choose.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacdmc View Post
There really in no “best” tow bar as there are a lot of very reputable ones out there. What may be best for me may not be best for you. Good luck with your research and with whatever tow bar you choose.
I completely agree with this. We use a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain and it works well for us. But that's just for us. There's an infinite number of motorhome, toad, camping style, and personal preferences. E-trailer has a really good summary of the possibilities here: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-towing-...-overview.aspx
I'd suggest to read this as part of your research, then choose what will work best for your individual setup. As others have said, safety chains and supplemental braking systems are equally important and can be part of the decision.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #10

To the OP. When you ask for the opinions of members of the forum what the best towbar is, their answer is more than likely the one they have. All of the current brands will perform well up to their stated rating. The sliding arm models are more convenient to hook and unhook, but I doubt they are any stronger. The fixed ones are probably stronger when backing up a short distance. If price is important, the Smitty one will work just fine although a little more effort to hook up. I've always had Blue Ox and would buy another one if needed, but that's just me. Everyone has their priorities. What's yours??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #11

Had a fixed tow bar on the previous coach. The current coach came with one with extendable arms. Both work, as most have said the extendable arm version is just easier to hook up and occasionally much easier to disconnect. My rough guess is that on average I spend about half the time hooking up and disconnecting with the new coach - same toad. That is, about two minutes vs the three or four it used to take so no big deal. The new version I can do myself, the old required two people to line everything up. We still do it with two, it is just easier now. Is it worth the extra $ is a question you will need to decide for yourself. Having said that if I were to buy something new I would probably spend the $ and get something with extendable arms.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Check out Ready Brake's Ready Brute. It's a tow bar with an integral braking system. The braking system is purely mechanical and not dependent on electricity, electronics or vacuum and there's nothing to take and out of your vehicle. I have the braking system without the tow bar, which I already had:

https://www.readybrake.com/
Think this is what I will use towing Ford Escape Hybrid. No electronic, nothing to carry and stowing.
hbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
On our last coach, we had the BlueOx Aladdin aluminum tow bar rated at 5K lbs load rating. Light weight, easy to hook up and never a bind disconnecting. We put it to the ultimate test...it got bent a little, but did not break/disconnect:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	381630

Needless to say, I'm a believer and with our present coach, we have the updated aluminum Ascent with 7500 lb. tow cap. -No injuries and still driving/towing the Jeep. -

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow