Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

BEST Tow Dolly

I purchased a 2013 Fiat 500 ( automatic ) last week just as a toy....and knowing that its not towable as is. I'm thinking of buying a tow dolly to use in the event we decide to take the Fiat with us on a trip rather then our usual Honda Fit. I will keep the dolly in the garage until we decide to use it.....which I suspect may be one or two times per year.

My question ....being we never used a dolly before .....what is the best Tow dolly on the market ? Is it truly inconvenient ?
Belladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like the American Car Dolly we use. Almost 10,000 miles and not a problem. Worth a look at, IMHO.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Depends on your definition of "BEST". For me it is the "Kar Kaddy SS"

A very robust design compared to most others out there.

Kar Kaddy SS | Demco Products

Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Just get one with a surge brake. Do not hassle a braking system through the car.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
Depends on your definition of "BEST". For me it is the "Kar Kaddy SS"

Kar Kaddy SS | Demco Products

That's what we have too, although now I tow four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Im a big fan of the EZ Tow dolly. Especially with a small car. It's well built, has a surge brake and is light weight (400 pounds if I recall). I especially like that I can move to around by hand and even stand it on end to store it at tight campsites or in my garage. Had it for a year with no problems except a flat tire that burned up the rim.

cartowdolly.com - check them out. Look up my posts on the dolly. Lots of pictures.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #7

BEST Tow Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Im a big fan of the EZ Tow dolly. Especially with a small car. It's well built, has a surge brake and is light weight (400 pounds if I recall). I especially like that I can move to around by hand and even stand it on end to store it at tight campsites or in my garage. Had it for a year with no problems except a flat tire that burned up the rim.

cartowdolly.com - check them out. Look up my posts on the dolly. Lots of pictures.

Good luck

This is what I have as well. Very pleased with it. I was going to originally get the Kar Kaddy SS but the weight, size and final cost went in favor of the ACME EZE Tow. I will second the recommendation for surge brakes.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I guess I will put my two cents in here as I have been towing with my Roadmaster 2000-7 tow Dolly since 2004 and haven't had a bit of trouble. It has electric brakes with a brake controller in the motorhome which controls the amount of braking on the dolly. You don't need a lot of braking while towing on the flat but you do need a lot of help going down a steep grade.
I stated this once before and will state it again, surge brakes were designed for boat trailers as the wheels usually get submerged and electric brakes would short out. Surge brakes only work when you stop short or fast as the towed vehicle tries to catch up with RV. There is no adjustment on it. I suggest you get a tow dolly with electric brakes and put a controller in your rv.
I would also suggest you go to Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories and click on tow dolly.
The Roadmaster also has steerable wheels plus storage compartments and the safety chains are connected to dolly plus the ramps are permanetly(sp) attached. When the wheels are steerable they track in the same track as the rear wheels on the RV.
Good luck and "look before you buy."

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #9

Tom-BC said;
Surge brakes only work when you stop short or fast as the towed vehicle tries to catch up with RV. There is no adjustment on it.

That is wrong. You need to do some homework or try surge brakes yourself.

Surge brakes are self appling by the same thing as electric brakes, inertia.

Electric brakes push a pendulum against a resistor and surge brakes push against the hitch.

When you let off the gas, the dolly pushes on the hitch. The harder it pushes the more brake it applies. As it applies more brake, it pushes less on the hitch, constantly adjusting its application as you smoothly stop.

To the OP.

An Acme dolly is light and can be stood up, due to its removable ramps.

Others have built in ramps. Simple to use but bulkier.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #10

I might also mention that I bought my CRV specifically to go from dolly towing to 4-down. But when I realized I still needed a supplemental braking system I decided to wait while I researched which one to get. The CRV sets up and tows much easier than the Murano did and I am completely unmotivated to switch to 4-down at this moment even with the allure of just snapping a tow bar on and driving away.

Something else Tom-NC mentioned worth talking about, EZ Tow requires your steering wheel to be unlocked during towing. For some people with locking steering columns this is a bit of a pain because it requires the car to have the key in the accessory position and can potentially drain the battery. Not the case with my CRV as I can just leave the key in the off position once I've unlocked the steering column. Dollies with front swivel plates tow with the steering wheel locked, so you don't have that problem.

You probably know this, but dollies are mostly for front wheel drive cars. Rear wheel drive and many all wheel drive cars cannot be dolly towed without modification.

As far as electric vs surge brakes go, I've had electric brakes on trailers and surge brakes on my tow dolly. Both seem fine providing they are functioning properly.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykathy View Post
I like the American Car Dolly we use. Almost 10,000 miles and not a problem. Worth a look at, IMHO.
Same here but I only have 4K on mine with no issues. The steering wheel in my wires car locks and I wanted electric brakes thats the reason for my choice over the eez- dolly, oh and real sized tires.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladog View Post
I purchased a 2013 Fiat 500 ( automatic ) last week just as a toy....and knowing that its not towable as is. I'm thinking of buying a tow dolly to use in the event we decide to take the Fiat with us on a trip rather then our usual Honda Fit. I will keep the dolly in the garage until we decide to use it.....which I suspect may be one or two times per year.

My question ....being we never used a dolly before .....what is the best Tow dolly on the market ? Is it truly inconvenient ?
Well I can say with 100% certainty ..... The Acme Eze Tow is the way to go, I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, the combo of the 2 ... You won't even know it's back there, I stand my dolly up in the corner of the garage, if you buy a new one, they ship right to your house!!!
I did have to alter the area where the wheels sit for the Abarth, as it will hit the cross bar on the front of the dolly, just remember to check the straps when you stop and all is golden!!!
I have towed twice for a total of 2000 miles .... Only one tiny issue, I lost the cover that goes over the brake fluid reservoir, other than that it was flawless!! It fit nicely under the back of the MH when parked.
Good luck with you decision!!!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
American Car Dolly for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykathy View Post
X2- We bought our American Car Dolly a bit over a year ago and have now towed the car and dolly over 20,000 miles from Florida to Alaska and back over some pretty rough roads. The rig has run perfectly. Outstanding service from the company also and a great delivery of the dolly. Its a perfect match for our Focus. Fast and easy hook up and its a stout and well built rig.

I particularly liked the built in brake controller on the dolly so I didn't have to fiddle with buying and installing a controller inside the moho for the electric brakes. I also added a break away switch. Thus no need for surge brakes as the electrics on this dolly are so easy to use.

Home | American Car Dolly
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to cornelljd Send a message via MSN to cornelljd Send a message via Yahoo to cornelljd
We have the EZ Tow dolly and used it to go from Michigan to Florida. Worked great we where towing a Toyota Matrix and had no issues. After a while you kind of forget that you are towing a car. We would check the tow straps at every stop and adjust if needed. Since we where going from very cold to hot weather there was some strap relaxing but nothing bad, and we just kept the wrench that we used in the tow car and placed the ramps in the trunk area. The customer service and shipping was/is quick and very attentive. I have asked several questions and received quick responses. I would get another one!!!

The Cornell's
Jim, Della ,Otto (German Shepherd) and Bancroft (Golden Retriever)
cornelljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly