Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #1

Have a friend who is an expert jeep mechanic and answered my question on how to flat tow my YJ. It is a manual transmission with Detroit lockers in the rear and Detroit soft lockers in the front, yoke slip eliminator etc.

He said to put the transfer case in neutral because in the '87 and newer heaps there are paddles in the case to lubricate the gears.
The transmission he said should be in gear to keep the tranny properly lubricated so fifth gear it is. Leaving the tranny in neutral will not provide enough lubrication for the gears.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #2

Have a friend who is an expert jeep mechanic and answered my question on how to flat tow my YJ. It is a manual transmission with Detroit lockers in the rear and Detroit soft lockers in the front, yoke slip eliminator etc.

He said to put the transfer case in neutral because in the '87 and newer heaps there are paddles in the case to lubricate the gears.
The transmission he said should be in gear to keep the tranny properly lubricated so fifth gear it is. Leaving the tranny in neutral will not provide enough lubrication for the gears.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to do a search on the web using the keywords: yj transfer case flat tow

There are a number of posts, one good one being Flat Tow Wrangler YJ

Be sure to read several posts and compare what they say to what you know. Just because its on the web doesn't make it true.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #4

I mean I have the info directly from the gospel on jeeps, Frank H. in Big Bear will be part of a national TV show on 4x4'ing. Frank is a real jeep expert and rebuilds just about anything on them and I doubt if there are many people more knowledgeable about the jeep than Frank. He runs a highly modified '63 CJ which he has even replaced the frame on.

Here is his direct quotes to me on how to flat tow a Jeep:

RE: [OHV_OT] Re: Flat towing my 1990 YJ

If you have the tranny in neutral then normal friction can turn the gears without proper lubrication burning up your tranny. Put it into any gear but neutral.

>
> 87 and newer 231 & 241 t-cases have a output shaft driven oil pump to keep
> them lubed while towing. The only safe way to tow a 300 is to have paddles
> welded onto the syncros to throw oil while towing in neutral or disconnect
> the drive shaft.
>
>
So there is people everything you ever wanted to know about Flat towing a jeep and why.