Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bike Rack Rated for Jeep Wrangler toad?

We're ready to purchase a couple of bicycles to enhance our fun on the road! Need recommendations for bike rack for Jeep Wrangler JK. Something that is rated for a towed vehicle, due to physics/extra load on the back of the vehicle. Anyone out there recommend a rack that they have used with no issues?
Or, who should we ask - Jeep dealer maybe?
thanks!
AbunFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbunFree View Post
We're ready to purchase a couple of bicycles to enhance our fun on the road! Need recommendations for bike rack for Jeep Wrangler JK. Something that is rated for a towed vehicle, due to physics/extra load on the back of the vehicle. Anyone out there recommend a rack that they have used with no issues?
Or, who should we ask - Jeep dealer maybe?
thanks!
We have a Wrangler and have used the Thule rack that attaches to the spare tire mount, the 963 PRO. Never had an issue with bikes on the rack while towing. We recently purchased two E-bikes and have had to move to a hitch mounted rack due to the weight of the new bikes.

The rack ratings for a towed vehicle should not apply to your situation. If the rack was designed to function on the back of a self-powered vehicle, it will function exactly the same if that vehicle is being pulled, four-down. The warnings are for use on vehicles with long overhangs behind the rear axle, such as motorhomes and trailers. That excessive overhang amplifies the bounce and vibration transmitted to the rack and often results in metal fatigue of the rack components, especially of the hitch mounted types.

The only effect you might find when towing your Jeep, four-down, is a slight change in tongue weight, which under normal towing would be zero. There could be a slight "lifting" of the front by adding significant weight of a rear rack, but the amount added by a couple of bicycles and the rack would be negligible on a Jeep, IMO, and would not affect the towing.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
We have a Wrangler and have used the Thule rack that attaches to the spare tire mount, the 963 PRO. Never had an issue with bikes on the rack while towing. We recently purchased two E-bikes and have had to move to a hitch mounted rack due to the weight of the new bikes.
Hey, that's pretty slick. We have a Reese heavy duty Rv rated hitch mount bike rack for our Wrangler. Works fine but once it's in place forget about opening the tailgate, even when folded down its a royal pita.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Hey, that's pretty slick. We have a Reese heavy duty Rv rated hitch mount bike rack for our Wrangler. Works fine but once it's in place forget about opening the tailgate, even when folded down its a royal pita.
Yeah, the rack works great and allows easy access to the rear. I even opened things up with the bikes on it, but that puts a lot of strain on the door hinges. When not in use, the arms fold down and opening the tailgate is a piece of cake.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #5

We use the Swagman RV rated bike rack on the MH hitch .

The rack slips over the Toads towbar stinger ( drawbar ) . Since we tow 4 down the only tongue weight on the rear of the MH is half the weight of the towbar and the weight of the bike rack and ebikes.

The rack has a gooseneck that raises the bikes to clear the Toad . It supports the bikes with stirrups for the wheels to sit in. Much more stable and secure than a bike frame hanging rack.

We can move the rack to the Toad when we don't want to move the MH but need to drive to a trailhead.

We are very happy with the quality and performance of the bike rack.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #6

I use a Kuat Sherpa but I would think almost any one would be fine. I've used the Kuat in the Toad's receiver while driving the car as well as towing it for several years. Disclaimer; I've only used it while driving in the new toad (Wrangler JL) as I'm not quite set to start towing it yet. Not expecting any surprises. Due to the spare tire on the back of the Jeep the bikes are closer in than with my Ford Edge. Otherwise same same.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1up-usa.com has ones that are certified to be used on the back of a towed or RV even with 2 70# e-bikes or a small motorcycle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

The rack ratings for a towed vehicle should not apply to your situation. If the rack was designed to function on the back of a self-powered vehicle, it will function exactly the same if that vehicle is being pulled, four-down. The warnings are for use on vehicles with long overhangs behind the rear axle, such as motorhomes and trailers. That excessive overhang amplifies the bounce and vibration transmitted to the rack and often results in metal fatigue of the rack components, especially of the hitch mounted types.

The only effect you might find when towing your Jeep, four-down, is a slight change in tongue weight, which under normal towing would be zero. There could be a slight "lifting" of the front by adding significant weight of a rear rack, but the amount added by a couple of bicycles and the rack would be negligible on a Jeep, IMO, and would not affect the towing.
What is the Wranglers tire carrier rated to carry? With my Wrangler with stock wheel and tire and no offroad use the carrier still broke a stud out. As I remember it's only rated for something like 80#'s.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #9

I went with this from Renegade as need it for kayaks. How heavy is your bike? Jeep roof only good for sub 100lbs. You need exoskeleton like mine for more that that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200418_165322.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	308597
Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #10

We are using a Kuat NV2.0 with their Pivot 2.0 on our JL toad. We used a Yakima Swing away for about 10 years before the cam lock holding the arms failed. The Kuat is a platform rack that allows the bike to ride on its tires and suspension. Not only is it easier to load but just about any bike frame will fit. We only carry 2 bikes although Kuat offers an extension to carry a total of 4. Using the Pivot on the Wrangler extends the rack away from the rear mounted spare tire and allows the loaded rack to swing out of the way so you can open the tailgate. We've got close to 10k miles on the NV2.0 and it is rock solid. We've only had the JL since April but do have several hundred miles with the pivot installed. Overall it seems to work really well.
dandrhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I went with this from Renegade as need it for kayaks. How heavy is your bike? Jeep roof only good for sub 100lbs. You need exoskeleton like mine for more that that.

Attachment 308597

I have researched racks for my 2020 Rubicon and found that Rhino racks that attach to the gutters are not well suited for anything other then very light loads. I didn't like the looks of the exoskeleton rack systems. I have found that Rhino does make a rack that rate for static weight high enough for roof top tent but it does required to drill holes in the top and installed skeleton on the inside of the jeep that attaches to the bolts that hold on the hard top. I wanted to be able to remove the rack when not in use but the brackets are not easily removed.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

I just picked up a 1up usa rack RV rated , had a Thule but it was sketchy handling the ebikes we just got.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Use a hitch mounted bike rack, unless you plan on beefing up the stock spare tire carrier/tailgate hinges.
The stock JK tire carrier and tailgate hinges are barely up to the task to carry a stock size spare tire. Ask me how I know this! There are a few good options out there for the JK. I used the Smittybilt Pivot tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement. It is very solid, and would be up to the task of carrying bikes with a spare tire mounted carrier.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #14

Here is what I want if they start manufacturing again. Been on the waitlist for about 8 mos.

https://www.roamoffroad.com/product/...-bike-carrier/
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack, jeep, toad