Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Use a hitch mounted bike rack, unless you plan on beefing up the stock spare tire carrier/tailgate hinges.
The stock JK tire carrier and tailgate hinges are barely up to the task to carry a stock size spare tire. Ask me how I know this! There are a few good options out there for the JK. I used the Smittybilt Pivot tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement. It is very solid, and would be up to the task of carrying bikes with a spare tire mounted carrier.
We don't have the bikes yet, but plan on purchasing lightweight hybrid bikes - not the heavier Ebikes. What type of bikes did you have on the rack before? What happened to your rack? Did the tire/rack fall off?
AbunFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbunFree View Post
We don't have the bikes yet, but plan on purchasing lightweight hybrid bikes - not the heavier Ebikes. What type of bikes did you have on the rack before? What happened to your rack? Did the tire/rack fall off?
I did not use a spare tire rack. I hung a larger tire on the Jeep's stock carrier. The difference in weight between the stock tire I am sure is less than the weight of a couple light bikes.
I could see the tire moving around a bunch in my rear view mirror. So, I bought a hitch mounted carrier off Amazon. Not too much later, a friend with a JK suggested I beef up the tailgate hinge and tire carrier before major damage occurred. If I would of beefed it up sooner, I could of ran a spare tire bike rack.
Good news is, I traded the JK for a new Gladiator. Spare tire is now under the bed. Glad I have the hitch mounted carrier now!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #17

I guess I've just never worried about a bike rack being *RATED* for Jeep or any type vehicle. I just bought one that was efficient for hauling two bikes, stuck in in the receiver of our Jeep, and, towed that Jeep all over the planet without any issues. So far, our *X-Sport* brand bike carrier, (almost the same exact type as a Thule or Swagman) has transported our two Electra Townie bikes a zillion miles and both bikes, and the rack, function as good now, as they did when new, about 10 years ago.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #18

The issue is the jeep roof can only hold 65lbs using the rain gutter anything more requires a exoskeleton.
Our kayaks were 90lbs, kayaks cradles another 20lbs.

The Exoskeltion does look bad ass though :-)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
We plan on purchasing lightweight hybrid bikes - not any of the heavier Ebikes. So, I'm hoping a tire-mounted rack would be okay.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
It's funny you ended up getting the Gladiator - we're thinking of doing the same! Gonna wait until used ones start popping up...maybe another year or so. thanks for your reply!
Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I did not use a spare tire rack. I hung a larger tire on the Jeep's stock carrier. The difference in weight between the stock tire I am sure is less than the weight of a couple light bikes.
I could see the tire moving around a bunch in my rear view mirror. So, I bought a hitch mounted carrier off Amazon. Not too much later, a friend with a JK suggested I beef up the tailgate hinge and tire carrier before major damage occurred. If I would of beefed it up sooner, I could of ran a spare tire bike rack.
Good news is, I traded the JK for a new Gladiator. Spare tire is now under the bed. Glad I have the hitch mounted carrier now!
How did you "beef up" the tire carrier?
Also, you mentioned that you still have the hitch mounted carrier - I assume you attached this to your Gladiator now?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
If money was no option, definitely look at the Thule. They've got a HUGE following. But you're going to pay for it. We went with an Allen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the Wrangler, if you go with a hitch mounted rack, you'll need a hitch extension and a hitch stabilizer. The extension will clear the spare tire and the stabilizer will secure it in the receiver so it doesn't move around. The bike rack (at least the Allen does) should have a bolt that you will tighten that serves the same purpose as a stabilizer.

Finally, select a rack that will tip away from the Jeep so you can get in to the back without having to remove your hitch or bikes.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
If money was no option, definitely look at the Thule. They've got a HUGE following. But you're going to pay for it. We went with an Allen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the Wrangler, if you go with a hitch mounted rack, you'll need a hitch extension and a hitch stabilizer. The extension will clear the spare tire and the stabilizer will secure it in the receiver so it doesn't move around. The bike rack (at least the Allen does) should have a bolt that you will tighten that serves the same purpose as a stabilizer.

Finally, select a rack that will tip away from the Jeep so you can get in to the back without having to remove your hitch or bikes.
Texas,
In some cases, such as ours, there was/is no need for a "Hitch extender" or, a "hitch stabilizer". The X-Sport model we have, as stated, is identical to the Thule or Swagman only a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER, bolt/clamps to the the receiver with the use of a 1/2" bolt that goes into the receiver hole and tightens a nut that is part of the bike rack. The goose neck of the part that enters the Jeeps receiver is long enough that, even with my 315 x 70 x 17 A/T tire on an American Racing Anson Off Road 8" x 17" wheel, mounted on the tail gate, that both bikes do not come in contact with that spare tire and are held quite securely.

To the OP, I replaced the original Jeep's tail gate hinge with a Rugged Ridge re-enforced cast Aluminum tail gate hinge that is quite a bit stronger than the Jeeps original one. The tire/wheel combo stated above, weighs right at 95 lbs and, has been on that tail gate now for over 3.5 years. There are zero signs of gate/hinge/sheet metal/corner post failure what so ever. And we've off roaded in Moab, Colorado, Arizona, California and a whole lot more so, that weight on that tail gate has been bounced around all over the western U.S.

I'd highly recommend a hitch mount type bike rack. I am not a fan of *hanging* type racks. That is, the type of rack that carries the bikes by the frame and lets the wheels HANG and wobble around, back and forth. I like the type of bike rack that captures the wheels at the bottom. Our X-Sport rack does this and, has an upside down, sliding foam covered clamp that clamps the frame downwards and forces the tires and wheels deeper into the cradles. It's been a great rack and is phenomenally easy to use, easy to mount and dismount the bikes. It takes me about 10-20 seconds per bike to either mount or dismount. And, it's not that I'm in any type of race. It's just that, it's that easy to mount and dismount the bikes on that rack.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbunFree View Post
How did you "beef up" the tire carrier?
Also, you mentioned that you still have the hitch mounted carrier - I assume you attached this to your Gladiator now?
I used the Smittybilt Pivot tire carrier for the JK. It beefs up the tailgate hinges and tire carrier. Adjustable for different size tires and wheel offsets.
I was very impressed how solid the spare tire became hanging back there. I had 35" tires and hung a cargo rack off of it. No movement at all. Still one handed operation to open tailgate and tire at one time. Worked with the stock rear bumper. Here's the Amazon link below.
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-28...-2&tag=mh0b-20

Yes, I use the hitch mounted bike rack on the Gladiator now.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
X 2 on Swagman, RV rated.

If you should ever throw a leg over an E bike, you'll be sold on them in about 5 seconds. They do weigh more, but if you only plan on buying one rack, get one that works for everything.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack, jeep, toad