Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #1

Blue ox

Looking at buying blue oz or what ever brand any suggestions,thanks
Sceptre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
Looking at buying blue oz or what ever brand any suggestions,thanks
Just installed a Blue Ox Alpha Tow System and Blue Ox Patriot II Braking System in my 2016 Kia Soul. For me, it was a very clean installation in the front and the Alpha tow bar seems very robust. The correct tow bar is based on your towed vehicle's weight (including cargo).

Another issue to be aware of is the difference between the bumper mount location on your towed vehicle and the center of your towing vehicle's tow hitch. Blue Ox recommends it is not more than three inches. My set up required an 8" drop receiver. There are various designs of drop hitches so do your homework if you need to use on. Solid steel is key to a safe tow.

Highly recommend you call around for pricing. I had four different quotes that varied by more than $1,000.
ValionRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #3

Blue Ox is a decent tow bar, the only draw back is sometimes it locks up when you're trying to remove the bar from your towed vehicle. This requires someone to get in the car, start it up and turn the steering wheel back and forth until the locking arm on the tow bar legs releases. Doesn't always happen but it's a common problem. The up side is their base plate is virtually hidden. You have 2 extension arms that lock in place to the base plate and your tow bar attaches to the extension arms. When not in use, you remove the extensions and no visible signs of the base plate.

Personally I use a Demco that I purchased in 2003 to haul my then F250 crew cab diesel pick up truck. I think it's rated at over 9,000 lbs. Since then I haul much lighter vehicles but stuck with Demco and accompanying base plates. I recently learned that you can use the Blue Ox base plate and buy attaching ends for the arms of the Demco that line up with the concealable Blue Ox base plate system. I haven't done it -----yet----- Hope this helps.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RoadMaster for all mine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The newer model of the Blue Ox Aladdin aluminum tow bar(Ascent) is rated at 7500 lbs. A 2500 lbs improvement over the Aladdin. The Ascent also has non-binding latch mechanisms. Once the tow bar is installed into the RV's receiver, it's very light to hook up the toad. Just bought the Ascent for our new to us Monaco and love it.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a BlueOx base plate and used to have a BlueOx tow bar. When the tow bar started to have wear issues, BlueOx's response was "ship it to us but I don't think we will be able to fix it". Bought a Demco, repaired the BlueOX myself and sold it. The Demco, btw, always unlatches. The Demco also has +/- 3" height adjustment built in.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sceptre, I've used a blue ox towbar and plate on 4 vehicles over the years. I now have the 7500 lb one which I bought last year but no longer need as I'm going to trailer tow my Lexus LS 460 I just bought. Need room for 5 adults now.
You can PM me if you would be interested or for more info.

Best wishes as your hit the road - Richard
Old 05-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Blue Ox's new Avail Tow bar has non binding latches and does not require any movement on the toad to get it to release. I've been using my Aventa LX for 10 yrs. and never had it bind up. Most tow bars will do the job however. Find one with the capacity you need and the price you can afford.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
toad products

Yesterday, I had a very pleasant experience. I had done a bunch of research looking at the different products out there to setup my new Dodge RAM to be towed. Finally decided I was ready to order, but had a bunch of questions. I called eTrailer (www.etrailer.com) and spoke to one of their CS reps. Long story short, based on her recommendations, I went in a completely different direction with the products I ordered, and found out that shipping was free. Placed my order and received an email that everything shipped out the same day. Later, I checked all of the items I ordered for pricing comparison on Amazon. Found 3 items which were significantly cheaper, so I called my CS rep at eTrailer. She had me email her links to the exact Amazon pages where I found the cheaper items. They have a low price pledge, so I am getting a $250+ credit back to my credit card!! Have't even received my order yet! Give these folks a call and/or check out their website. Tons of videos, staff available for install questions - you name it! Check them out!

Tags
blue ox