Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Blue Ox abandons older tow bars

Can’t understand why BlueOx has nothing on their website about older tow bars. I have an Aventa all steel which is in perfect condition. Shame on them. They are good at forcing you to buy new junk. I will not fall for this and when time comes will purchase from other manufacturer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last I knew Roadmaster quit supporting their towbars at 10 years too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #3

So what’s the problem. You state that your Aventa is in perfect condition. Many companies discontinue servicing older products. I believe Tiffin won’t work on one of their own rigs at the factory that is 10 years old. I purchased a rear view camera for my 2017 Jeep Wrangler 3 years ago. It just stopped working. The off road shop said it has been discontinued and the manufacturer does not have any parts and doesn’t even sell rear view cameras anymore. If I want a new one I have to pay full price from someone else. It was only 3 years old.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
So what’s the problem. You state that your Aventa is in perfect condition. Many companies discontinue servicing older products. I believe Tiffin won’t work on one of their own rigs at the factory that is 10 years old. I purchased a rear view camera for my 2017 Jeep Wrangler 3 years ago. It just stopped working. The off road shop said it has been discontinued and the manufacturer does not have any parts and doesn’t even sell rear view cameras anymore. If I want a new one I have to pay full price from someone else. It was only 3 years old.

It’s not that old. Purchased new 4 years ago
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
It’s not that old. Purchased new 4 years ago
My iPhone 6 was purchased 4 years ago. There has been a iPhone 7, 8, X, 11 and now 12 since then.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

Tiffin, GM, Ford etc come out with new model every year too. Go buy new motorhome every year because 2020's are not supported when the 21's are out.[Mod Edit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
My iPhone 6 was purchased 4 years ago. There has been a iPhone 7, 8, X, 11 and now 12 since then.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #7

Are you saying they don’t have a rebuild kit for your bar?
If they do get a couple kits and rebuild it your self or most any mechanic can do it.
It not rocket science doing it yourself. Just putting in wear shims and torquing the bolts.
You’ll need a little heat to loosen the locktight.
Clean and lubricate. I even make my own plastic shims.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Can’t understand why BlueOx has nothing on their website about older tow bars. I have an Aventa all steel which is in perfect condition. Shame on them. They are good at forcing you to buy new junk. I will not fall for this and when time comes will purchase from other manufacturer.
As mentioned, this is standard operating policy for many companies. I have the older Aventa too and just rebuilt it myself this spring. It's a simple task and everything is available from my tiffin dealer. Much better than sending it in to Blue Ox.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
As mentioned, this is standard operating policy for many companies. I have the older Aventa too and just rebuilt it myself this spring. It's a simple task and everything is available from my tiffin dealer. Much better than sending it in to Blue Ox.

I agree it’s simple to do. It’s a shame they don’t list any parts or even have info on the not so old ones. As far as I’m concerned their support is awfull as I found out installing proper base plate on our 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit. It would fit if I left whole front facade off. I had to cut baseplate myself to make front bumper fit back. They would not send me factory modified plate.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Several reasons for that sort of policy, mostly a mixture of legal liability fears and the natural desire to sell you new stuff. If it was a high volume product like a 5-10 year old Ford, there would be plenty of money and production capacity available for service parts, but maintaining parts and service procedures for older, low volume items is difficult to cost-justify any more. Besides, the majority of modern owners seem to prefer buying new rather than repairing things, willing members of the disposable society.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Blue Ox

They told me at an FMCA rally 2 years ago that my tow bar would not be serviced again. The reason is age and/or mileage. Their reasoning was that it could have microscopic stress cracks that could only be seen with a magnaflux test. So, 10 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first.
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Just following in the same footsteps as MicroSoft & Apple, no longer supporting older products which forces us to either go with new or do what we can to keep our aging/existing product operational.

Our Roadmaster towbar set up has been used for 15 seasons (Apr-Oct, approx 1x/mo) We've been good about wiping it down after trips & keeping the bars & parts lubricated. But I also wonder, even though ours hasn't been used all that much for dragging our toads, how much longer it'll last.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

And Visio & Samsung have abandoned my tvs, and Dell my 4 year old laptop and Rev/Fleetwood abandoned major parts of my motorhome within a year. Even some warranty parts were simply not available before the warranty expired.

So on to the next topic...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton View Post
They told me at an FMCA rally 2 years ago that my tow bar would not be serviced again. The reason is age and/or mileage. Their reasoning was that it could have microscopic stress cracks that could only be seen with a magnaflux test. So, 10 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first.
Knowing how often we performed non-destructive testing using Magnaflux and/or dye penetrant testing on aircraft parts I absolutely agree with that position. We scrapped many a part that looked perfect by eyeball but looked a whole lot different during NDT.

Ray

Tags
blue ox, tow