Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I thought I had this toad deal all figured out but Blue Ox kind of threw me a curve. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and recently bought a Blue Ox base plate on eBay at a great price. It's a discontinued model (#BX1115) that doesn't have the removable tow tabs. I got a great price on a Blue Ox Adventurer tow bar from Adventure RV but then ran into a snag. Deep in the Blue Ox instruction manual it states that the minimum recommended tow tab width is 24". Unfortunately this information is not listed in the product description on their website. The base plate tab width is 20", so it's under the recommendation for the tow bar. Blue Ox says it's a safety issue, but they wouldn't say why or what might happen if I use it for this application. Anyone have a clue?
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I thought I had this toad deal all figured out but Blue Ox kind of threw me a curve. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and recently bought a Blue Ox base plate on eBay at a great price. It's a discontinued model (#BX1115) that doesn't have the removable tow tabs. I got a great price on a Blue Ox Adventurer tow bar from Adventure RV but then ran into a snag. Deep in the Blue Ox instruction manual it states that the minimum recommended tow tab width is 24". Unfortunately this information is not listed in the product description on their website. The base plate tab width is 20", so it's under the recommendation for the tow bar. Blue Ox says it's a safety issue, but they wouldn't say why or what might happen if I use it for this application. Anyone have a clue?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm going to follow this post. I also was thinking about getting the Adventure bar being I'm a part timer to pull my 2005 Explorer. My Blue Ox base plate only has an 18" center line width. I wonderer why we cannot use this tow bar?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, the Adventurer tow bar possibly cannot be adjusted to a width below 24".

The INSTRUCTIONS indicate a range of 24" to 40".

It is also possible that a width less than 24" does not permit adequate control of the toad with this tow bar.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a followup to this post. After seeing several toads with less than 24" base plate tab width using towbars similar to the Adventurer I decided to go ahead and try it anyway. No problems on the first test run of 10 miles, so we took it on a 500 mile trip. No problems at all, even when I cramped the towbar pretty tight getting into a gas station. Of course I'm doing this with full knowledge that if I do have a problem Blue Ox won't be any help... I'm on my own.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
I'm going to follow this post. I also was thinking about getting the Adventure bar being I'm a part timer to pull my 2005 Explorer. My Blue Ox base plate only has an 18" center line width. I wonderer why we cannot use this tow bar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ended up with the Roadmaster Falcan 2 tow bar. It is motorhome mounted, fold away, self locking, and best of all I got it used in great condition for $125 cash off Craigs List. It connected up easily to my 18" wide Blue Ox base plate on the Explorer.