Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Blue Ox Aladdin will not latch when folding

I've been using an Aladdin BX4325 for ten years maybe. It engages well and tows just fine. Problem is this: I can not get the pin to go into the slot when folding. It folds up and the pin goes into the middle of the vertical opening of the slot. However when moved to either side the pin will not go into either side horizontal side of the slot to lock it in position.
It starts to move to the side freely but then the pin will rise above the hitch connector slot and hit the bracket.
There appears to be play in the bolts but I can't move it enough to get the pin or "hold up bolt" to go into the slot.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tim

It sounds like fair wear and tear might be taking its toll on your tow bar. I had the same tow bar, Aladdin 4835 model which would be 7 years old now if I still had it. This model was rated for a maximum 5000 lbs, not 7500 like the new version. My toad was 3500 lbs. so I thought I was well under the maximum weight and therefore the unit should last. This was not the case as one arm pulled apart as I was doing a 180 degree turn! Fortunately, it was at a very slow speed! Blue ox was very good about replacing the tow bar. I upgraded to the 10,000 lb. all steel model two years ago and have had not problem since. Ten years is a long time for an aluminum tow bar. I would call Blue Ox customer service and discuss the issue and possible options with them. It might be the symptom of a more serious problem. Most Blue Ox dealers will give you a credit for your old unit when buying a new one.

Good Luck,

Knightly
2007 Itasca, 35A, W24 chassis, Toad-HHR, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are the odds that you can visit Pender, NE before Thanksgiving,,, I'd not suggest it after Thanksgiving.

There is a very nice little campground just around the corner from the main plant/office entrance.. It is owned by Blue-Ox and it's full hook up 50 amps till winter sets in and they turn off the water...
Old 10-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
tim - there is another option if you are handy with tools - rebuild the bar yourself. Below is the URL for an excellent video by a Blue Ox tech on how to do it.

Go here Replacement Washer Kit for Blue Ox Aladdin, Aventa II and Aventa LX Tow Bars Blue Ox Accessories and Parts BX84-0089 for the parts kit.

You do not have to have the impact wrench - I did it all with just a 1/2" drive socket set and a breaker bar.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
Tim

It sounds like fair wear and tear might be taking its toll on your tow bar. I had the same tow bar, Aladdin 4835 model which would be 7 years old now if I still had it. This model was rated for a maximum 5000 lbs, not 7500 like the new version. My toad was 3500 lbs. so I thought I was well under the maximum weight and therefore the unit should last. This was not the case as one arm pulled apart as I was doing a 180 degree turn! Fortunately, it was at a very slow speed! Blue ox was very good about replacing the tow bar. I upgraded to the 10,000 lb. all steel model two years ago and have had not problem since. Ten years is a long time for an aluminum tow bar. I would call Blue Ox customer service and discuss the issue and possible options with them. It might be the symptom of a more serious problem. Most Blue Ox dealers will give you a credit for your old unit when buying a new one.

Good Luck,

Knightly
2007 Itasca, 35A, W24 chassis, Toad-HHR, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Thanks for your reply,
Yes, I will contact Blue Ox. I do remember this happening awhile ago and it was suggested that I tighten one of the bolts. Of course, I can't remember which one.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
tim - there is another option if you are handy with tools - rebuild the bar yourself. Below is the URL for an excellent video by a Blue Ox tech on how to do it.

Go here Replacement Washer Kit for Blue Ox Aladdin, Aventa II and Aventa LX Tow Bars Blue Ox Accessories and Parts BX84-0089 for the parts kit.

You do not have to have the impact wrench - I did it all with just a 1/2" drive socket set and a breaker bar.

Mark
Hi Wa8yxm and Mark,
Going out to Neb is not in the cards for us. I bet it would be a great learning experience.
Wow, the Blue Ox tech makes it look easy. It's a bit over my head though.
Maybe, I can find a Blue Ox service center here in the east.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Blue Ox Products
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox