Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Blue Ox Alexus Towbar

I have developed a lot of "play" in the ball/casting interface of this towbar. I was told this was a sign of failure in this portion of the towbar and wonder of others have experienced the same thing? Has Blue Ox issued a recall or service bulletin on this model?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try calling Blue Ox 888-425-5382. I'm willing to bet they will take care of you.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, Bob, Anyone can call that number. But how willing are they going to be to tell me all the issues they're having with that towbar? I would think others on this board would chime in with any issues they've had. THAT'S what I'm looking for...maybe I didn't say it well?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I and many others have found Blue Ox to be very customer oriented.

I would not hesitate to call them and take their advice.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Dirk....guess this subject isn't for discussion here??? I'll probably just go buy another towbar since I am real concerned about this product. Unless they've altered their design, a new product is apt to have the same issues, wouldn't you think?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
guess this subject isn't for discussion here???
I'm not sure what you mean, but sure it can be discussed here.

Perhaps no one else has had that problem or has not seen this thread if they have.

Previous posts by members indicate a great respect for Blue Ox.

I have had several interactions with Blue Ox; on the phone, at their Nebraska factory and with their techs at rallys. In each case they have taken excellent care of me.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Yeah, Bob, Anyone can call that number. But how willing are they going to be to tell me all the issues they're having with that towbar? I would think others on this board would chime in with any issues they've had. THAT'S what I'm looking for...maybe I didn't say it well?
From what I've heard and read about Blue Ox, I would bet they would be very responsive particularly if there are any known issues. Looks like they no longer make the Alexus, and may have replaced it with the Aventa. Just seems a toll free phone call would at the worst just waste a little time.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I have developed a lot of "play" in the ball/casting interface of this towbar. I was told this was a sign of failure in this portion of the towbar and wonder of others have experienced the same thing? Has Blue Ox issued a recall or service bulletin on this model?
I bought one of the first Alexus tow bars when they first came out several years ago. This tow bar is now called the Advanta LX.

Within a few months, my Alexus tow bar developed play in the ball as you describe. I showed the tow bar to a Blue Ox representative while attending an RV seminar. He contacted the factory for me, and they completely replaced my tow bar.

The factory told me the ball is completely captured within the housing, and as long as the bolts that hold the housing together are tight, the tow bar can not fail completely. Even though they said it was not a safety issue, and even though the tow bar could have been repaired, they replaced it completely since it was less than a year old. The replacement tow bar is now almost 4 years old, and it's starting to get loose.

The bronze ball within the housing is made up of 2 pieces with a wave spring between the halves of the ball. If the wave spring wears or cracks, the ball can become loose within the housing. The tow bar will tend to flop around when you're trying to hitch up or stow the tow bar, but Blue Ox told me it is not unsafe.

The wave spring can be replaced. You can get the parts from Blue Ox and do it yourself or send the tow bar back to Blue Ox for a rebuild. There is no need to replace the tow bar unless there are other problems like bent components.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote