Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #1

Talking Blue Ox Ascent problem

Just purchased a new Blue Ox Ascent tow bar. One arm screeches loudly as I extend or retract it. The other arm screeches a bit but it also binds and is difficult to extend or retract. Both arms only lock into extended position when I extend them with a hard yank. Otherwise they do not want to lock into the extended position. The customer service rep checked and said this was normal and should smooth out with use. I can return it for now for a refund but not sure if I can if I use it and it doesn't improve.

Has anyone purchased a Blue Ox Ascent tow bar. If so did you have a similar issue and did it improve.

Thanks, Allen
Big Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
I cannot remember either of mine doing that. Why don't you take a rag and put a light coating of oil and move it back and forth a few times just to see what happens.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought one new from etrailer I believe. The arms were hard to extend but did not screech. When I had time I followed their maintenance routine, take the zip ties off, push the tubes down and clean with silicone then light coating of multi purpose grease (Think I have it but check yourself to be sure).

Afterwards, the legs extended much easier. Hope this helps.

Etrailer.com has excellent tech help. If you haven’t already maybe a call or search their help section may give you more info.

Another tip I found was to clean the moving parts with dawn and water, after 1400 miles I had so much road gunk it made it almost impossible to tilt the towbar into stowed position. (The legs were fine as I had lubed them prior). Strangely, the triple lugs loosened up on each leg and I called Blue Ox who said to slightly tighten them.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
i am on my 2nd Ascent, and just had it serviced at Blue Ox, and I've never had screeching? I have had the tightness on every occasion with a new or freshly serviced unit but it does get better. I had mine serviced because it was too loose! Tightness goes away but the screeching should be looked into further. Good luck.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:16 PM   #5

My Ascent was new in 2020. Extends and retracts very smoothly. Locks easily when slowly pulling away while slowly waging the mh tail. Never screeches.

Since yours is new, I'd say return it. Your issues do not sound normal. You should not have to lubricate a new Blue Ox Ascent tow bar
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, problem