Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Blue Ox Aventa XL rebuild question??

I have an older Aventa XL tow bar I am overhauling. Is there any way to get the shaft out of the housing?? I will replace the rubber sleeves, but I can not figure out if I can take the sliding shaft out to clean. What am I missing or is it not removable??? Thanks for any input, the very dirt covered Muffin Man.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
I have an older Aventa XL tow bar I am overhauling. Is there any way to get the shaft out of the housing?? I will replace the rubber sleeves, but I can not figure out if I can take the sliding shaft out to clean. What am I missing or is it not removable??? Thanks for any input, the very dirt covered Muffin Man.
Studmuffin,
I've also had our Blue Ox Aventa totally apart and, if I recall, it wasn't all that hard to break it down all the way to the last screw, nut, and pin. I'd have to see a pic of what you're talking about to really make an accurate assessment of your situation. I'm linking some pics of mine apart so, maybe it might help, maybe not. Let me know.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040208.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	221846   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040298.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	221847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040299.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	221848   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040217.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	221849  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

I have gotten to the point where I have driven out the pins and I am trying to unthread the (what ever it is, the threaded on end of the rod) female threaded piece off of the rod. I have used 2 18" pipe wrenches and I cannot get it to budge, did I miss something, or do I need more energy applied???
Thanks , the pics are helpful, but I am not sure how much pressure to apply.
The Muffin Man.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

Studmuffin,
If you're talking about spinning the end off the slider bar, and you've removed the expansion pins that lock that threaded piece onto the slider bar, then quite possibly might need the help of some HEAT. And, not only that but, some tactical application of HEAT and COLD might be in order too. That is, you lock that slider bar in a vice etc. (protected from maring) and, you have your heat source ready and, a can of "Freeze" standing by. You can get that Freeze from various industrial suppliers. It's a form of C02 in a small spray can type thing with a straw on it so you can concentrate where you want to apply it.

Then, you heat up the end collar, not to the red-hot stage but close. Put down the torch and, apply the freeze around the section where it threads into the collar. Also, have some penetrating fluid of your choice standing by. As you apply the Freeze, you also apply some penetrating fluid. The freeze will shrink the slider bar while the torch has heated and expanded the end bracket.

It might take a few applications of both the heat and the freeze to break those end brackets loose. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It has to come out. Probably thru the end closest to the hitch. I had one that I had to hammer out, carefully.

Tags
blue ox, rebuild, vent