Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Blue Ox Electrical cord

Hi Everyone. We have a blue ox towing system. The 7-Wire to 6-Wire, Coiled Electrical Cord is getting difficult to insert and remove four both the car and RV sites. The car side is especially difficult. Does anyone have a recommendation of what I could use to lubricate this? I don’t know if I should use WD-40. Let me know what y’all think. Thank you. FL Rick
FL Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Following
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Silicon Spray
bar of soap
Bees wax
candle
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #4

Clean the plug and contacts first then apply dielectric grease to the contacts. That will help keep water out and make it somewhat easier to insert.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Sorry but you should NOT apply dielectric grease to the contacts. From one of the manufacturers web site -

. Since dielectric grease is a silicone grease, it should not be used on silicone-based rubbers or plastics, as it will break them down over time. The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn’t be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

There really is nothing that will lubricate AND conduct so no way to lubricate the pins and sockets.
bradford3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford3454 View Post
Sorry but you should NOT apply dielectric grease to the contacts. From one of the manufacturers web site -

. Since dielectric grease is a silicone grease, it should not be used on silicone-based rubbers or plastics, as it will break them down over time. The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn’t be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

There really is nothing that will lubricate AND conduct so no way to lubricate the pins and sockets.
Seems to me if you apply dielectric grease to just the male brass contacts, there shouldn't be a problem.

Aside from that, I would suggest cleaning the contact points with a fine grit wet/dry paper to make sure there is no corrosion. Check the male fittings to make sure they aren't bent or damaged. After that, I would try the dielectric grease as what have you got to lose?

Or....go ahead and buy a new cord and keep the old cord as a backup.

A couple of years ago, we had the Blue Ox cable disconnect and it was badly damaged. I managed to find a new cable at a nearby RV dealer, so I purchased it to enable us to finish our ride home. Not long after that, someone on the forum had a used cable for sale at a good price so I purchased it and have it stored in the towed car in case I need it.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #7

I had the same problem. I cleaned both sides of the connections and applied dielectric grease. It solved the problem and also solved the corrosion problem I would have intermittently. Just ensure you just have the grease in the connections and not on the cord.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #8

Blue Ox Electrical cord

This is what I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	314400  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford3454 View Post

Actually, there is.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products...uctive-grease/
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I have been using and works great.

DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz.
  • Cleans, protects, lubricates, and improves conductivity
  • Reduces intermittent connections, arcing, and RFI as well as wear and abrasion
  • Safe for use on all metal connectors and contacts and will not harm plastics
  • Dispensing Type: Spray
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been putting dielectric grease directly on electrical contacts and connections for 40 years. It does not stop electrical flow and most certainly preserves contact points nearly indefinitely.
Do it on all outside connections especially the furnace and hot water heater. 12v DC and 120v AC.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #12

I use to use silicone spray until I tried DeoXIT. Now that's all I use on all electrical connections including our tow cord. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have use dielectric for trailer connectors and light connectors for 35+ years. Even the manufactur pemamtex recomends using it for trailer conector. Low voltage is the place to use dielectric grease. You dont want to use it on micro voltage because it will grow silicone micro crystals and you dont want to use it on high voltage because it will heat up. A dielectric is not a conductor or an insulator, it a dielectric.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dielectrics are insulators, plain and simple. The two words refer to the same class of materials, but are of different origin and are used preferentially in different contexts.

https://physics.info/dielectrics/
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, electric, electrical