Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #15

Thanks, but I didn't install the 7/6 pin cable on this Escape. What do you think about running power from the "jumper" connection under the hood?
Navion Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #16

Since the battery is in the back, under the spare tire, that 'jump point' is where I will be running my charge line to, from the motorhome.

The installer for my Air Force One braking system pulled power from there for the brakes. {AF1 does not draw power for braking, but needs power for the break away system}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navion Steve View Post
Thanks, but I didn't install the 7/6 pin cable on this Escape. What do you think about running power from the "jumper" connection under the hood?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #17

I’m looking at getting a escape hybrid what do you all think about the car so far.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I’m looking at getting a escape hybrid what do you all think about the car so far.
A great little mid-priced car - so far so good. 2700 miles. If it holds up over time, then that will be great. It has plenty of pep and get up and go when I need it, including on highway - a pleasant surprise.

I get a real kick out of running short errands in town and getting 45 - 50+ mpg courtesy of the hybrid and electric mode when a gas engine delivers it's worst mileage. Highway mileage is less of course, but I still averaged 38 mpg on my commute before Covid-19 shut it down, balancing my carbon footprint for when I hit the road with the MH.

I am completing the install of BlueOX tow gear and RVI brake today, through my Newmar dealer so cannot comment on Toad-ability just yet.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #19

We love ours. Not to big, not to small. (So the wife will drive it). Great gas mileage compared to other towables.

The safety features are awesome although the 'lane centering' takes a while to get used to.

There is a lot of tech to distract the driver, so be careful even if the car is pretty much driving itself.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Wife loves the Escape. And I have been impressed with the gas mileage. As far as towing, we have just towed it several miles. Towing it with the Mercedes Sprinter. So, far with the blue ox towing system we have had only had one glitch. Constant power to the Patriot braking system. As suggested earlier we will try to use the 7/6 pin cable.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #21

2020 Ford Escape

I found out that my 2020 Ford Escape Titanium can flat tow behind my motorhome. I am thinking of giving up the tow dolly. Damn interested in the Blue Ox base plate because it needs Les alteration 2 fascia. I am leasing this car and may not want to buy it when lease is complete. M Jeffrey did you resolve your low battery issue. My titanium as I assume all titanium's comes fully loaded with options Hi-Tech Auto parking included. Did the Blue Ox install cause any problems with any of the high tech systems. Does the Escape login odometer miles while flat Towing. If you could answer these questions I will probably have more. I would appreciate any help from any members to help me make my choices regarding this install so as to flat tow. Thanks to all.
Thorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbill View Post
I found out that my 2020 Ford Escape Titanium can flat tow behind my motorhome. I am thinking of giving up the tow dolly. Damn interested in the Blue Ox base plate because it needs Les alteration 2 fascia. I am leasing this car and may not want to buy it when lease is complete. M Jeffrey did you resolve your low battery issue. My titanium as I assume all titanium's comes fully loaded with options Hi-Tech Auto parking included. Did the Blue Ox install cause any problems with any of the high tech systems. Does the Escape login odometer miles while flat Towing. If you could answer these questions I will probably have more. I would appreciate any help from any members to help me make my choices regarding this install so as to flat tow. Thanks to all.
I have ordered a battery charge line to install before we tow again. With the current environment, it might be many weeks before we go anywhere.

The odometer doesn't count up during towing.

The front sensors are not affected by the Blue Ox base plate install. Auto parking still works.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:49 AM   #23

2020 escape blue ox

Thanks for the reply. Please keep me posted as to the charging problem . I am being told that I cannot use the RM falcon all terrain tow bar because this centers of the tabs and the Blue Ox being only 20 inches. I am also being cold that with the centers being on the 20 in you begin to have risk swerving like the old Jeeps had. Have you had your rig up to speed and did you have any swerve problems. Thanks in advance for all your advice. I am still researching Brands and details.
Thorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbill View Post
Thanks for the reply. Please keep me posted as to the charging problem . I am being told that I cannot use the RM falcon all terrain tow bar because this centers of the tabs and the Blue Ox being only 20 inches. I am also being cold that with the centers being on the 20 in you begin to have risk swerving like the old Jeeps had. Have you had your rig up to speed and did you have any swerve problems. Thanks in advance for all your advice. I am still researching Brands and details.
In only two days of towing, no issues other than battery. No wobbles, yet.

Received the RVi Towed Battery Charger yesterday, so I have a project once I get a few more supplies.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our Escape in March and only have about 200 miles on it. After it sits in the garage for a week or so we also get the message on the Ford Pass app that it is shutting down remote features to save battery life.

I just go out and start the car and let it run a few minutes and its back to life again. If we ever get the all clear on this coronavirus we plan to tow it back to Virginia. Last I head Blue oX had shut down their production facility.
John.Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #26

As I understand it, the 12 volt battery in the trunk doesn't actually start the (gas) engine. The high voltage battery underneath does. The car just turns the engine over using the same internal gears that can also turn the transmission (forward or reverse) or capture energy during braking.

The 12v battery runs the electronics and enables the systems that control the car.

So the car has no true starter and no fan belt driven alternator! Its just internal to the transmission/hybrid system.

Since you can remote start the car and it can update its own software over night, it seems like it is really on all the time, even when the car is shut down and appears off.

So the 12v battery runs down... And you get the message from the car.

Towing the hybrid behind a motorhome in Neutral Tow mode also seems to use some power, even when you think you completely shutdown the car for towing.

The manual mentions that the high voltage battery can charge the low voltage (12v) battery when the car is 'on' and the engine is not running.

"... let the ... vehicle sit in Ready to Drive

mode for several minutes to charge the

12-volt battery. The ... vehicle can

charge the 12-volt battery even if the

gasoline engine is off. The 12-volt battery

receives power from the high-voltage

battery."

So the car must be in the On/Ready to Drive mode to charge the 12 volt battery, but the engine doesn't need to run...

... unless it needs to heat the interior, give more power to accelerate, or charge the high-voltage battery.

And it doesn't charge the low voltage battery from the high voltage battery, when the vehicle is off. You wouldn't want both batteries to discharge too much.

When our 12 volt battery ran down during towing, the vehicle appeared dead. When we opened the locked car, using the key blade from the key fob, the 'dead' car still sent a message thru the Ford App to tell me the car had been opened and alarm triggered. There was no actual alarm sounding because the low voltage battery was dead, but it could still send a message, so internally the security brains and cell radio transmitter were still powered.

When we jumped the car, we only had to add 12 volts to the jump points under the hood to power the electronics. At that point the vehicle woke up, was "Ready to Run", did not need to start the gasoline engine to charge, but was truly ready to start the engine, if needed.

Very different from the normal jump start procedure where starting the engine, if you even can with jumper cables, then running the engine is required to actually put a charge back in the battery.

[Please correct anything stated, if incorrect.]
Old 04-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Mjeffrey,

How did you attach the Areoskin Hood Protector to your hood? Have you run your Escape through a car wash with the hood protector on it?
John.Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #28

Thanks Mjeffrey. Good read on your last post. We just completed the install process for our Escape. We have the Patriot braking system. Had to run a power line to it. Drawing from the car 12v battery. The biggest challenge we had was the power to the Patriot braking system then adjusting the sensitivity of that system. Next thing is to take it for a longer drive and test it. Thanks again.

Tags
blue ox, ford