Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #57

Has anyone figured out the low battery level shutoff yet?
rmclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #58

We are considering a new Escape hybrid. Who does installs on baseplates and wiring? RV dealer? Ford dealer? Others? Im not going to do it myself so interested to learn where others typically get this done.
BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRV View Post
We are considering a new Escape hybrid. Who does installs on baseplates and wiring? RV dealer? Ford dealer? Others? Im not going to do it myself so interested to learn where others typically get this done.
My short (snarky) answer is 'someone who has done a bunch of them.'

Our first car's equipment was installed by a large 'hitch' company that mostly does rear hitch installs (cars) 5 wheel hitches and front push bars (trucks), so they were very experienced in taking vehicles apart and putting them back together.

When I asked them (a Blue Ox retailer) about installing a base plate, rear light wiring and Air Force One braking system on our 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid, their answer was that they had done over 40 of them! [8 years no issues]

Now not many 2020 Escapes have been converted yet, but a large RV shop that has done Ford C-Maxs, Ford Fusions over the last few years should be able to handle a new Escape.

Call around to the larger RV dealers in the area and ask how many they have done.

Good luck and get a charging line installed too.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #60

Thanks for the input. I've contacted one dealer so far, so have to do some more digging.
BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #61

If a local Ford dealer has their own body shop, it might be worth a call to them too.

The base plate install is essentially just body work and the instructions are very detailed.

The rear light wiring (4 wires) is pretty basic too, if they have the right kit from Blue Ox. Where they put the 6 pin connector on the front of the car depends on if you have parking sensors and/or Adaptive Cruise Control.

Braking systems are all different depending on the solution you get... Some just drop into the foot well. Some are permanently installed, but the body shop probably hasn't seen one of those.

To keep the battery from running down you need two wires from the 6 pin connector (12 volts and ground. We installed the RVi toad charging device, but there is also a basic solution with just a circuit breaker.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRV View Post
My Newmar dealer did my entire set up for my 2020 Ford Escape hybrid shortly after the blue ox baseplates were released. They are not a large dealer by any means but have done hundreds of baseplates over the years so this was not a challenge. It was obvious they knew what they were doing wrt to dismantling bumper, etc., and knew all the ins and outs so to speak with the brake lights, turn signals, diodes, etc. He insisted on the battery charger and as I've posted before- it does a great job (the Escape chasis battery is tiny)...

My bet is a dealer such as this can do a better job than my Ford dealer - and they are good at what they do.

Best of luck.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
I finally had a chance to take my 2020 Escape to my son's house where my motorhome is stored. He pulled the receptacle off the car and checked the wiring. The RVi Towed Battery Charger was wired wrong. It was wired to the brake pin so the only time the battery was being charged was when I stepped on the brakes in the motorhome (which wasn't to often driving up I 95). He re-wired the receptacle on the car so when I drive back to Florida I should not have a dead battery. I'll keep you posted.
John.Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #64

2020 Ford Escape battery problem

Hi guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back I have been hiding from Florida covid in Kentucky. I double checked all wiring including charging wire from coach to escape before leaving North Carolina. Sorry to say results are the same. Charging will not keep up with discharge. More or less two to three hours till messages regarding weak battery . 4 to 5 hours battery about dead. I'm seeing Ford dealer in Paducah tomorrow after talking on telephone with three different dealers. Don't expect any success.mjeffery what is the basic method with circuit breaker. And have you had success at towing your Escape for five or six hours without battery going dead. I would greatly appreciate any advice to end this annoying situation. I am still looking into simply installing a larger battery under the spare tire.
Thorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Ferrari View Post
I finally had a chance to take my 2020 Escape to my son's house where my motorhome is stored. He pulled the receptacle off the car and checked the wiring. The RVi Towed Battery Charger was wired wrong. It was wired to the brake pin so the only time the battery was being charged was when I stepped on the brakes in the motorhome (which wasn't to often driving up I 95). He re-wired the receptacle on the car so when I drive back to Florida I should not have a dead battery. I'll keep you posted.
I picked up a 7-6 pin Blue Ox coiled wire off of Craigslist and it had the 12 volt circuit going to the brake signal pin on the 6 pin side.

Must be two 'standards' out there!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbill View Post
Hi guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back I have been hiding from Florida covid in Kentucky. I double checked all wiring including charging wire from coach to escape before leaving North Carolina. Sorry to say results are the same. Charging will not keep up with discharge. More or less two to three hours till messages regarding weak battery . 4 to 5 hours battery about dead. I'm seeing Ford dealer in Paducah tomorrow after talking on telephone with three different dealers. Don't expect any success.mjeffery what is the basic method with circuit breaker. And have you had success at towing your Escape for five or six hours without battery going dead. I would greatly appreciate any advice to end this annoying situation. I am still looking into simply installing a larger battery under the spare tire.
I haven't towed more than 5 hours in one day, but have done back to back days with little driving in between. I get the message at some point after every (Ford) engine shut down whether it is being charged by the motorhome or not.

The RVi towed battery charger seems to be working for me. (Except that I keep getting the low battery messages). The lights on the RVi show charging or charged when the motorhome is connected and providing a charging voltage.

See message #44 on this thread for a link to the 15 amp solution. Since it is not a smart charger, I worried that it would over charge the card battery. Isn't that funny...
Old 07-27-2020, 05:11 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
The Blue OX cable explains why mine was wired to the brake pin. When I had my son check out my connection it was with my new Roadmaster 7-6 pin cable, which I bought because it is a foot longer than the Blue OX. The Roaddmaster cable has power in the center pin of the cable. I haven't driven anywhere with the Roadmaster cable but it does light up the RVi battery charger now.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #68

Interesting service bulletin from Ford...

They don't want you to start the car when it is being charged; which sounds to me like the definition of being hooked up to the motorhome towing/charging.

We are going to change our procedure to disconnect the motorhome or at least have the motorhome engine off when starting the Escape.

(Previous SSM 48831 is apparently replace by SSM 48990)Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200806-231208_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	296243
Old 08-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Ferrari vs Ford

Has anyone on the forum had this problem? Does this notice imply that Ford fixed the issue starting in June 27, 2020? Is there going to be a recall on the car? Will 2020 Escape owners be notified of the problem? Is Reprogramming the PSCM with the latest version of the FDRS the fix for the problem? Should we take our cars into our Ford dealer and have this fix applied?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #70

If you replace the battery make sure you get the Ford dealer to reset the Battery Management System. I am still fighting with my Ford dealer over the low battery shutoff. Battery voltage drops to 10 to 11 volts and the BMS shuts the car down. However the power liftgate won't work and other systems are very erratic. Strange error messages generated and the backup camera doesn't work about half the time. Car is heading back to the dealer on Monday (8/10). Third trip to the dealer. Last time they kept it for 4 days. When I picked it up and drove it home the strange behavior immediately returned.
rmclin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, ford