Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Blue OX Kar Gard, or Blue OX Kar Gard Deflector

Towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am looking at Blu Ox products BX 8870, or BX 88255. I am using the Aventa 10,000lb Blue Ox hitch on my motorhome. Any pro or con would be appreciated. It seems from other forums that whatever someone has is the best ....life is great
dale240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
As an owner of a Blue Ox BX8870 KarGard Vehicle Protector I can only comment on that model. Based upon my experience I suggest you go with the Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard II Deflector, if your coach does not have a rear facing exhaust.

IMHO the BX8870 KarGard is poorly designed. The aluminum frame, the main protection plate and the mounting system all rate a 'fail' in my books. Its flat design, parallel to the back of your motorhome deflects rocks back onto the coach. Its aluminum frame is very prone to wear. Mine has been used for one summer only and some of the holes are already elongated from movement of poorly fitting parts slopping around. The mounting system allows the whole assembly to flop and move around a lot. If it were not so far back from our driving seats I'm sure I'd hear it rattling down the road.

After only a few legs of our summer trip up north I began altering its intended installation to where I've now minimized or at least reduced some of these deficiencies. The guard plates (black plastic) are now angled out to the sides a bit to help deflect rocks away from the coach and eliminate the reduction in turn angle caused by the guard installation. I have also added metal hose clamps to stabilize the post mounts where it attaches to the tow bar and an additional cross brace solidifies it new "V" shaped mounting position.

I saw noted of these deficiencies in the BX8870 KarGard upon a pre-purchase examination but my exhaust exits from the back of my coach right into the area where the BX88255 KarGard II would mount. This presented a significant risk of the Kargard II fabric melting from the exhaust heat.

For those reading this that don't know the difference between these two models they are as follows:

BX8870 KarGard Protective Shield

BX88255 KarGard II
Old 10-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

Read Ron H again. The screen is way better than the garage door. If you still want one send me a PM and I will sell you mine that has been sitting in the garage for a year. Half price including shipping.

My exhaust comes out the back but it does not interfere with the screen.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

Do you really need either one? I see more people towing a car 4 down or on a dolly without a guard then with one. Doesn't the mud flaps behind the wheels stop the larger stones and the long flap on back of the coach keep the rest of the gravel from flying up on the toad?
Ruddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #5

We use the open mesh screen style Blue Ox deflector within about 8" of our rear facing diesel exhaust, and in the first year have traveled about 8000 miles without any issues arising from exhaust heat. It has done a good job of preventing any rock chips on the Jeep, and no stones have damaged the back of the coach. The design of the screen type allows it to flex when we turn, and even tight turns have not been a problem. It takes no extra space to store it when we park and we have not had to deal with any loose parts or wear issues. We would buy another one if we needed to, as for our needs it has been a good product.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddog View Post
Do you really need either one? I see more people towing a car 4 down or on a dolly without a guard then with one. Doesn't the mud flaps behind the wheels stop the larger stones and the long flap on back of the coach keep the rest of the gravel from flying up on the toad?
If you are travelling on pavement most of the time I don't think a rock guard is required. If you are travelling over a considerable amount of gravel it is good insurance to help protect your toad's paint, lights, etc.

We did northern BC, the Yukon, Alaska, northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories this past summer. The Top of the World Highway was 80 miles of gravel, the road into Wood Buffalo National Park was 45 miles (each way) of gravel and of course we had other shorter stretches, and road construction.

The manufacturer's branded mud flap is often more of a problem rather than a help with rock control. Even after cinching mine up as high as it would go I was still finding it would pick up and spit up rocks over drips and other road conditions that caused it to scrape the road. Following the suggestions of many other Alcan Hwy veterans, I removed it before our trip and it likely won't go back on until the coach eventually goes up for sale.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Ron H,
I agree completely with regard to the rear flap. I used the 8870 on our Alaska trip and found as you said, rocks bouncing off the KarGard onto the back of the coach. On advice from our Wagon master, I removed the rear flap which was causing more problems than it cured so I removed it in Whitehorse and have no plan to replace it.
After ditching the flap, I have not noticed anymore stone chips on the back of the coach when using the 8870. However, I agree with you on the overall build of the device and have tended to leave it in the garage lately. With the rear flap gone, I find the toad is much cleaner than before and don't believe there is a need for the 8870 unless we decide to travel north again which is a whole other world.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I would be interested in your KarGard ll. How old is it and in what condition is it? Where do you live as I am in Wisconsin/

Dale
dale240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale240z View Post
Towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am looking at Blu Ox products BX 8870, or BX 88255. I am using the Aventa 10,000lb Blue Ox hitch on my motorhome. Any pro or con would be appreciated. It seems from other forums that whatever someone has is the best ....life is great
I use the 8870 and the 10K tow bar with no wide rear flap. I do have good mud flaps on all four corners. I use bungie cords in a X on the back of the 8870 and attach them to the safety hook slots. All works well-easy on, easy off.

I bought mine on eBay from Blue Ox for $100!! It was brand new but surplus or customer return mat'l. I didn't know it was Blue Ox until I called to find out for sure what parts were included. Pleasant surprise to find they have an eBay store!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the informative posts on this. I too am looking for added rock deflection. I have a 2015 DS 4313 w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX setup. Both the 8870 and the 88255 would work. But, Blue Ox strongly warned that our 450HP engine with rear exhaust could cause melting on a mesh 88255. But, I didn't think about the 8870 kicking stones back onto the coach either. Certainly don't want that. I was unlucky enough to have an excavator dump truck pass me while dropping stones onto the highway. *&^^$#@ State troopers caught up with him eventually. Minor nicks on towed car. DS has a protective film which saved the front of the coach. Was like a huge hail storm. Are there any other solutions out there when using Blue Ox tow bars? Perhaps other manufacturer's products that work on Blue Ox tow bars?
4thetwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thetwins View Post
Thanks for the informative posts on this. I too am looking for added rock deflection. I have a 2015 DS 4313 w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX setup. Both the 8870 and the 88255 would work. But, Blue Ox strongly warned that our 450HP engine with rear exhaust could cause melting on a mesh 88255. But, I didn't think about the 8870 kicking stones back onto the coach either. Certainly don't want that. I was unlucky enough to have an excavator dump truck pass me while dropping stones onto the highway. *&^^$#@ State troopers caught up with him eventually. Minor nicks on towed car. DS has a protective film which saved the front of the coach. Was like a huge hail storm. Are there any other solutions out there when using Blue Ox tow bars? Perhaps other manufacturer's products that work on Blue Ox tow bars?
Unfortunately my coach is tucked in bed now until we head down to Quartzsite in January or I could take a few pics of the how I modified the mounting of our BX8870 KarGard. With it angled out in a slight "V" we've not seen any evidence of rocks bouncing back at the coach.

BTW... If you are going to Quartzsite, we'll be camping with the Newmar Kountry Klub so you could check it out first hand.

Tags
blue ox