RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Blue Ox options

I am looking to tow four down and have looked at and realize that Blue Ox is regarded as the top of the food change but $$$$. I am going to rebuild an older Jeep Wrangler and will probably tow it two to three times a year at most. We usually have one of the show cars behind us going to a car show. I was wondering what others here on the forum have or are using other than the Ox that might be less expensive since I won't be using that much. I don't want a dolly as I might as well just load the trailer.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

I think Road Master products, at least tow bars are widely considered to be better than Blue Ox. One note on Blue Ox, as of last year they have started a tiered service rate on their rebuild service, charging higher prices the older the tow bar is. Which I personally feel is unfair, particularly towards those that don't tow very often.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #3

Just purchased a Hercules tow bar from NSA RV Products. It has a built in surge brake which saved me about $1000 as I did not have to buy a braking unit for my toad. Lifetime warranty is nice too.....
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

ReadyBrute Elite:

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

Use “ HOLIDAYSPECIAL” coupon code and get 15% off $200 or more until 12/31.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
I am looking to tow four down and have looked at and realize that Blue Ox is regarded as the top of the food change but $$$$. I am going to rebuild an older Jeep Wrangler and will probably tow it two to three times a year at most. We usually have one of the show cars behind us going to a car show. I was wondering what others here on the forum have or are using other than the Ox that might be less expensive since I won't be using that much. I don't want a dolly as I might as well just load the trailer.

I think Blue Ox Tow Bars are one of the strongest systems in the market. I also use a Blue Ox base plate on my Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

I purchased a new Blue Ox Aluminum set up, in March.

I also sent you a private email.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #6

The best quality and construction can be found in DEMCO towbars. Unlike the others they don't require rebuilding they just last and are less expensive.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have over 200,000 miles of towing with Roadmaster equipment to just now find out that other tow equipment is much better.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The best quality and construction can be found in DEMCO towbars. Unlike the others they don't require rebuilding they just last and are less expensive.
Definitely best in class for many reasons
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
ReadyBrute Elite:

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

Use “ HOLIDAYSPECIAL” coupon code and get 15% off $200 or more until 12/31.

This, I absolutely love mine. Cheaper than buying a blue ox and braking system. Don't have to take the braking system out of the vehicle or put it back in. This tow bar flat out works as advertised.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is any meaningful debate about Blue Ox vs Roadmaster vs Demco. All excellent, so its a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing.

They are all similarly priced for similar function. NSA's Ready Brute is a bit less. If you want cheap, get a simple A-frame tow bar that couples to a ball hitch. Heck, get it at Harbor Freight or JC Whitney if you want. They get the job done, just not as conveniently as the top-line models from the big brand names.

You can get a Curt A-bar for a little over $100 plus whatever you need/want to attach it to the vehicle.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Curt/C19745.html

Blu Ox Adventurer A-bar runs about $225
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Blue-Ox/BX7322.html
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. From what I understand the "cheap" tow bar units tend to wear the front tires more than the better ones. Is that true? I will look into the other systems mentioned above.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a blue ox for 20 + years, never failed, as I got older the "binding"became an issue upgraded to roadmaster night hawk and cannot believe the difference, eased unhooking is 100× better, no matter in a turn,unlevel, uphill,downhill it always unlatched easy,if you ever have to unhook your road after you cannot make a turn you know what I an taking about.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #13

Around 200,000 miles and two Blue Ox setups. I have never tried any other brands. If Blue Ox continue to take care of me I will stick with them.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox