Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #1

Blue Ox Patriot braking issue

I purchased a tow vehicle with the Blue Ox patriot braking system. He also mentioned something about a couple of fuses in the console I will need. I didn't think much about it at the time but now a year later after covid I went on a short trip and never could get the system to work. I cant find a video anywhere to see how the actual system is works. It looks like it is a very good system but you wouldn't know that by me!!!!!! Any help anyone could give me will be greatly appreciated.
gerrygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

Your post doesn't have a question. You need to be way more specific if you need help.

- What doesn't work?
- What model including year is your toad?
- It is unclear. Did you purchase this toad all set up including the patriot 2, got instructions and now cant get it to work?
- What have you done to try to make the system work? Trouble shooting?

Let's start there.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #3

Blue ox braking

Keith,
When I hook everything up and check in the toad it appears to work. When I started to leave for the trip i smelled a burning smell so I disconnected the Blue Ox.

My toad is a 2017 Ford C max hybrid and yes the toad was all set up to tow. the person i bought the toad from had everything for towing. He mentioned something about fuses in the console and said I might need them.

He didnt have his motorhome to show me how to hook it up so he told how it hooked up. Which would have been fine but once I drove the car home low and behold Covid happened and my new motorhome and the toad sat idle for a year

I have tryed to find a utube or video to watch but I can only find videos on the hooking up the arms and on how to put the frame on but nothing on the Blue ox unit in the toad and how it works.
gerrygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #4

Someone else is going to have to jump in on fuses to pull.

You don't pull fuses to make the patriot 2 work though.

I assume you are guessing the burning smell is the brakes and that's why you disconnected the Patriot 2?

Perhaps it was adjusted so it was depressing the brakes before it even activated?

Give this a shot:

Old 05-28-2021, 05:08 AM   #5

The manual should give you information about which fuses to pull. Have you checked there?

A quick internet search and it seems like it is towable 4 down.

The patriot 2 is adjustable on its strength. I have a display in my RV that I can adjust the Patriots "Push" onto the brake pedal.

Do you know where that is set?

Tags
blue ox