Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Ox Patriot or RVi3?

We've been using a Blue Ox Patriot braking system in our 2 dr Jeep Wrangler pulled by a 25 ft Class C for 4 years and 35k miles and are pretty happy with it.
We just bought a 29ft Winnebago Vista Class A and the previous owner threw in a RVi3 braking system that has never been used. I'm trying to decide whether to use the RVi3 or keep the Patriot system. All I have to do is replace the break away cable to use the RVi3.
I like the RVi3 as it's much smaller and easier to store and I like the integrated tablet that includes the leveling display.
If I install the RVi3 Im thinking of also getting the RVi TPMS to replace the TST 507 I currently have as it can be integrated into the tablet display also.
Any opinions? Thanks
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

I did a great deal of research on both the Blue Ox Patriot and the RVi3 and ended up going with the RVi3 and have been very happy with it. Great customer support as well. I believe it provides better proportional breaking and much faster response braking time in panic stopping situations. Very easy to install with voice assistance, takes about 1 minute. The smaller size is much more convenient when storing. It comes with a "Hub" that allows the brake to communicate with the tablet and the tablet displays the amount of braking force being applied. You easy select the size of vehicle you are towing which determines how much breaking pressure is applied. The only issue I have had is when I mounted the Hub in a back bedroom cabinet along with a 12v power source, I would periodically loose connection between the RVi3 brake and the tablet. I now just set the fully charged hub on the bed and will works all day long with no further issues. Another nice feature is that the Hub can be used when leveling the RV. I set it on the counter and the tablet will show exactly which points need to be corrected. Works much better than the lights my leveler control pad. I think you would be very happy with it, in MHO. There are also some nice videos on their website demonstrating how it works vs. other units.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Dave, thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will go ahead and try replacing the Patriot with the RVi3. The only work (I think) is replacing the break away cable as it's plug is different to the Patriot. I'd like to get the RVi Patrol TPMS and integrate it but is's around $450 for the 10 monitors I already have with the TST system.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
In my opinion, the RVI brakes are among the best of the drop in braking systems. Their response times are faster and their low profile makes them convenient. I used the RVI2 for almost four years and loved it until I switched to an air activated system.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. Since the RVi3 was included with the Vista when I bought it, I want to ensure it's working correctly. I'm assuming I can test it without installing the break away switch? (just for testing purposes).
Old 12-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin996 View Post
Thanks. Since the RVi3 was included with the Vista when I bought it, I want to ensure it's working correctly. I'm assuming I can test it without installing the break away switch? (just for testing purposes).
I tested my RVi3 when I first bought it before I installed the breakaway. I did plug it in, coiled up on the driver's seat, because it is part of the set up procedure. I had the tablet in hand, and the hub also on the driver's seat. I tested the manual brakes while watching it do its thing.
I've been very happy with the RVi3 after installation last spring.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #7

Donít have a motor home anymore and never had the Patriot. Had the RVI3 and thought it was great
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox