Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue OX replace handle and spring. Has anyone done?Special tool?

A spring in one arm of our Blue Ox Tow bar has either broken or come out of place. I do not know which bar it is. We bought it at least 15 years ago but hardly ever used it until recently. Here is a pic.

One lever suddenly stopped coming up when the arm extended. The lever flops with no spring action. It does not remain up when towing. I pulled the ends off of the box section that holds it and I can see that the spring is not lifting the lever.

I see this kit with instructions.

https://www.blueox.com/towing-access...-latch-handle/

It says I need a special tool to install the spring. Has anyone found another way to install the spring?I found the tool for $83 from Blue Ox. Do I need it for this single use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200811_163253[1].jpg
Views:	48
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	296805   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200811_163301[1].jpg
Views:	57
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	296806  

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed a new spring in one of my arms without any special tools. It took some patience and the right sized punch to get the little shaft out. I bet you can do it. When mine broke while headed home I used a foam pool noodle and tape to keep it engaged so I could drive home.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

Yeah, You may have a few problems getting that thing apart. If you look at the kit instructions step 5, it shows you removing the 3/16" Allen screw after heating to loosen the LocTite Red. On 3 brand new, never used, Blue Ox tow bars I've bought, all 6 of these Allen screws were cracked by Blue Ox during installation. Check them well on yours before starting.

Drilling out grade 8 Allen screws is not fun unless you have some experience doing that type of chore. Just know what you might be getting into.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
I installed a new spring in one of my arms without any special tools. It took some patience and the right sized punch to get the little shaft out. I bet you can do it. When mine broke while headed home I used a foam pool noodle and tape to keep it engaged so I could drive home.
ROFL I have to admit I was thinking along those lines myself but wasn't sure what to use. The pool noodle is perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yeah, You may have a few problems getting that thing apart. If you look at the kit instructions step 5, it shows you removing the 3/16" Allen screw after heating to loosen the LocTite Red. On 3 brand new, never used, Blue Ox tow bars I've bought, all 6 of these Allen screws were cracked by Blue Ox during installation. Check them well on yours before starting.

Drilling out grade 8 Allen screws is not fun unless you have some experience doing that type of chore. Just know what you might be getting into.
I can only imagine! Thanks for that. I will see about
taking those out before I commit to DIY. If they are busted I will have to use the pool noodle to get to a Blue Ox repair facility.

I am forever grateful for the combined knowledge of the members here and your willingness to share it! Thank you both.

PS My wife said that she has noticed people driving with pool noodles on their hitches and wondered why.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 08-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in luck. The allen screws are OK. The spring is actually broken. I ordered the handle kit and also the bushing kit while I was at it. I am assuming these will fit. I don't know which bar I have, it is not on the site ans there is no remaining lettering on it other than Blue OX but it looks the same. I will also clean and lube the tubes.

The broken piece of spring may be inside the outer tube somewhere. Nothing rattles when shaken. I am leery of putting cleaning fluid inside and flushing it. Not sure it is safe to leave in. Should I be concerned?

How much play is OK in the slide tubes and how do I measure it?

Tags
ace, blue ox, replace