Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Blue Ox tow bar storage?

Just got my BO Ascent tow bar today. Gosh they're nice looking.

I got the cover for it too but it looks like it's only big enough to cover the arms while it's attached to the RV which makes sense to keep them out of the sun.

Question: When your motorhome is put away, how do you store your tow bar? Just place it in the sub-basement somewhere? Or do you have some sort of system you use to put your equipment?
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

Stow it away. No need to be out in the elements.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We store our Motorhome indoors. We do not remove the tow bar. We just cover it like we would in a campground.

If we had to park outside for an extended period of time I would probably store it somewhere in a basement compartment. Why not keep it out of the weather.

I keep everything used for towing in a canvas bag. Cables for power and lights, air brake, brake away cable, chains, mounting hardware, etc.... All in one place so it is ready to go.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

I don't think the cover really does much.
I never take mine off the moho and rarely cover it.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #5

Mine is stored on the back of the MH all the time. I take it of one or twice a year to clean the receiver and drawbar so that rust does not develop. My BLue Ox cover completely covers the tow bar except for the bar that goes into the MH receiver. All other components are stored in a box in a rear storage compartment.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks, all of this helps. Between the tow bar and brake system I felt like I was buying a second RV. The solution based on some of the answers is a canvas bag. Then my wife suggested a canvas ski bag. Brilliant! This was the type of consulting I needed!
Old 09-05-2020, 05:35 AM   #7

Do you have a link or info on the bag you decided to use? Thanks!

I've been using the Blue Ox cover which is OK. And, my rig is stored indoors, so the tow bar doesn't get much exposure, but I would consider using a better bag for added protection when on extended trips.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Sure thing but I wont get it till Tuesday. At least you’ll get the direction I’m aiming for. I think the BO cover is nice but just for use to protect it from the sun while we’re out. But this way when the coach is inside the barn, the bar is stowed out of sight and the bag also should have just enough room for the cover, emergency cables, electrical cable, etc. At 7”x7”x59” it should have little wasted space. I also got the Amazon reconditioned one, so the cost is $20 as a bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...b_b_prod_image
Old 09-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #9

As most camping chairs only last one season, and come with a storage bag, use last years old bag?
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #10

Sometimes my BO tow bar just hangs on the back of the coach when parked and sometimes I put the BO cover over it. When I take it off, it sits in the corner of my garage. It's 8 or 9 years old now and just passed inspection with flying colors. Could never see a reason for any different care. After all, it is designed to be in the elements.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If I don't expect to use the coach for several months, I am likely to remove it from the coach and store it in my workshop or storage shed, with the intent of doing annual maintenance on it before putting it back on the coach. Otherwise it just stays on the coach.

That cover is more about cosmetics than protection.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
You guys are making a lot of sense. I just like things to be packed up and in their place. Preferably inside the coach's storage compartments. When I had the trailer, everything we needed (minus the perishables) were put away inside, even the hitch, sway and levelers. It was my big ol' bug-out bag. And when I get the itch to bug, I'm outta there. I guess I'm excited to fly up to OH to pick up the Motorhome this next Saturday!
Old 09-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #13

Extended Arms

This may seem obvious, but the first time I tried to use the cover on mine I had the same problem. It quickly dawned on me that I had not used the levers to collapse the arms. Wen I did, the cover fits perfectly.
sdolpt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I got the bag delivered today. Very much worth the $20 spent. Here's a couple photos. The bag is tough, has a couple straps to cinch the contents down, plus a heavy duty handle to carry it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	300359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	300360  

Tags