Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2007, 06:22 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
For clarification, all reputable manufacturers (and most state laws) require safety chains or cables on anything towed. In my opinion what has been discussed previously in this post is any type of additional safety cable to connect the tow bracket to the vehicle in the event the tow bracket itself comes off as happened to us. NOTHING like this was included in our kit which, according to Blue Ox, is certainly one of the more popular in use, numbering in the hundreds by the manufacturers own statement. The fact that the safety chain connection points provided were on the tow bracket that ripped off the frame was simply poor and unimaginitive interface engineering in my opinion, as nothing prevented the toad from coming free from the coach; yet another reason to be sure and use an auxiliary braking system... although I'm not sure having our Jeep brakes locked up on I80 in rush hour traffic would have been a pretty sight either ;&lt

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Warren,
I find it refreshing that someone in the profession, with both education and resume is participating. I could care less that the "sponsor" label is attached or not.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #31

I just returned from having a blue ox base plate installed on my new tow vehicle - a 2008 Chevy Tahoe. I can confirm that the install included two short "permanently mounted baseplate safety cables" that were included with the base plate package and are attached to the vehicle frame as recommended in the instructions provided by Blue Ox. Included with the instructions for installation was service bulletin #251 "Safe towing Guidelines" dated January 5, 2006 which describes the install of the baseplate safety cables as well as information on towing height, supplemental brakes and tow bars.
I am very pleased with the appearance(removable tabs)and the construction and design of the equipment looks to be very high quality!
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TaxedtoDeath:
I just returned from having a blue ox base plate installed on my new tow vehicle - a 2008 Chevy Tahoe. I can confirm that the install included two short "permanently mounted baseplate safety cables" that were included with the base plate package and are attached to the vehicle frame as recommended in the instructions provided by Blue Ox. Included with the instructions for installation was service bulletin #251 "Safe towing Guidelines" dated January 5, 2006 which describes the install of the baseplate safety cables as well as information on towing height, supplemental brakes and tow bars.
I am very pleased with the appearance(removable tabs)and the construction and design of the equipment looks to be very high quality! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they have to cut out any of the fascia around the indent for the tow hooks? That is where mine had to be trimmed.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 AM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Shadow:
Did they have to cut out any of the fascia around the indent for the tow hooks? That is where mine had to be trimmed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was necessary to trim some of the "tow hook shield material" with a utility knife. However you really can't notice anything removed because the space was needed to provide for the removable tab brackets, safety cable attachment brackets and (on one side) the electrical wiring connector and (on the other side)a breakaway connector.

All in all, a very neat and tidy install!
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TaxedtoDeath:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Shadow:
Did they have to cut out any of the fascia around the indent for the tow hooks? That is where mine had to be trimmed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was necessary to trim some of the "tow hook shield material" with a utility knife. However you really can't notice anything removed because the space was needed to provide for the removable tab brackets, safety cable attachment brackets and (on one side) the electrical wiring connector and (on the other side)a breakaway connector.

All in all, a very neat and tidy install! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neat and tidy yes BUT when you remove the baseplates and put the tow hooks back in you can no longer put the black shrouds back in since the part you had to trim had the little hooks to hold the shrouds in. That is what PO'd me since they said NO trimming required and they completely blew that one and refused to admit their error. Their recommendation to just pull the body out over the baseplates was silly. I had my son do the install. He is an MEng working in the auto biz and actually has parts on the front end of the Tahoe so he was very familiar with it. He just shook his head when he heard their recommendation. BlueOx, like the rest of us, does not walk on water, that is for sure.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #35

Unless Jeep is different than every other vehicle on the market the frame is not a casting!! Most modern vehicles have some sort of front clip that is made from sheet steel and formed into a frame. Frequently they are hydroformed but never cast!!!

I have often wondered when installing baseplates on vehicles with very thin frames if it would be better to weld plates to the frame and then install the baseplate. Some cars have extremely thin frame sections.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #36
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a reminder.

Discussion of issues is welcomed and encouraged.

Discussion of each other is not.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #37

As a distributor for both Blue Ox and Roadmaster, I can lend a little insight to some of the discussions here.

Blue Ox posted technical bulletin 522 (PB522) earlier this year stating that all "newly designed" baseplates for 2007 (that is new models, or model changes that were new designs) were going to have the permanent baseplate safety cables included at no additional charge.

Blue Ox also includes their safe towing guidelines (SB251) that details their recommendation for permanent safety cables from the baseplate to the vehicle chassis, in the event the baseplate comes loose from the frame. This bulletin also outlines the responsibility of the user to inspect for metal fatigue and loose bolts on the baseplate, before each trip; they also recommend the user to inspect the vehicle frame near the mounting points for signs of fatigue. This bulletin is included in all of Blue Ox's baseplate and tow bar instructions; if the installation facility chose not to pass the information along to the end user, the shame on them!!!

As an avid 4 wheeler and rockcrawler, I have found this necessary in many areas of automotive hobbies. If you are utilizing the vehicle for any purpose, that the engineers did not directly design it for, then you (as the user) need to be responsible to inspect for damage that the hobby may induce. Rockcrawlers often rip steering boxes or suspension brackets from frames. RV'ers are placing an additional stress on the frontal frame area of their toads, that was not directly intended by the vehicle's engineers, thus must inspect for fatigue regularly.

As the general manager of an installation facility, I stand behind all of the work that my shop does. I would expect that the manufacurer (Blue Ox) would stand behind their product (I've yet to find an instance in which they didn't), but even if they don't I do. We have stopped carrying certain product lines, because the manufacturer won't stand behind what we deem to be a warantable failure. In the case outlined here, it was not the Blue Ox product that failed, but the vehicle itself. As far as why, there are so many variables that can not be determined, it would be nearly impossible to determine the exact cause. I have seen customers lose one of the connecting pins that ties the tow bar to the baseplate; thus placing an extreme lateral force on one side of the vehicles frame. An attempt to back up with a toad connected could place a severe lateral load as well, causing excessive frame stress. These are just a couple of scenarios that could cause the afformentioned failure. I can say, as a distributor for ALL major product lines in this industry, I can personally say that I would stand behind the design and durability of the Blue Ox product line above ALL others. But that's just my opinion!!!
krs2fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Krs2fur, welcome to iRV2.

We appreciate your view and insight.

BTW, clever screen name.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
krs2fur, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Thank you for your comments on this important issue. We hope you will be an active participant of the forums. Enjoy the website!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 AM   #40

Very Interesting!!!! As I am about to set up my '08 Wrangler with Blue Ox,
Does anyone know if the Liberty and Wrangler have the same frame??? Do they use the same Baseplate???

Thanks Rick
Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BLUE OX lists different baseplates for the Liberty and Wrangler.

You just wanted me to look it up for ya, right?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #42

Hey Dirk!! Thanks But was not looking for you to look it up BUT since you did I did a little looking.
The Liberty Base Plate bolts to the bottom of the Frame rail using 3 3/8" bolts each side.
The Wrangler base plate bolts to the side of the frame rail using 1 5/8"bolt and 2 1/2" bolts each side.
Not sure if frame rails are any different.

Rick