Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2023, 10:47 AM   #1

Blue Ox vs Roadmaster Setup

Looking for input here from actual owners / users of these two products. Just upgraded to a newer Wrangler (2020 Rubicon Unlimited) and need to set it up for flat towing behind my Allegro RED 33AA. I will be installing a Demco Air Force One braking system, so that part is decided. I had a Blue Ox baseplatel and Ready Brute Elite on my prior 2008 JKS, but wanted to go with a better setup for more long haul travel. I like the Blue Ox baseplate, but the Roadmaster seems to be a cleaner install and does not take away from the look of the front end of the Jeep.I am not really opposed to either, as they are both good units, but wanted to hear any pros / cons that may have occurred on the newer setups. Which, now leads me to the newer tow bars; Blue Ox vs Roadmaster. I'm probably going to go with something at a minimum of 7500 pound rating, just to be on the safe side of things, but need to hear feedback from those who have these units and likes / dislikes, and if you had to of it all over again - what would you do?

The Roadmaster baseplate is this: https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...eID=2020100311

The Blue Ox baseplate is this: https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...er/BX1139.html

Tow bar choices would be: Blue Ox Ascent, Roadmaster Sterling, or Roadmaster Nighthawk (not sure about the LED lights).

Thanks for the assist!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want heavy duty or cheaper? The name OX is not indicative of better equipment.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #3

I have a 2018 JLUR with the optional steel bumpers using the Blue Ox baseplate and the Ascent 7500 # tow bar. Also have the AF1 braking system.

Looking at the link provided, the Road Master appears to be a cleaner appearance but in any case, you’ll have to do some cutting to the front. Rubicons will have the metal splash shield underneath.

With the BO you’ll need to cut 2 slices in order to clear the attachment points.

With the RM, it looks like you’ll have to do some cutting as well.

Are you doing the work yourself?
Old 04-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I have a 2018 JLUR with the optional steel bumpers using the Blue Ox baseplate and the Ascent 7500 # tow bar. Also have the AF1 braking system.

Looking at the link provided, the Road Master appears to be a cleaner appearance but in any case, you’ll have to do some cutting to the front. Rubicons will have the metal splash shield underneath.

With the BO you’ll need to cut 2 slices in order to clear the attachment points.

With the RM, it looks like you’ll have to do some cutting as well.

Are you doing the work yourself?

Thx for the info. My wife and I did the work on our prior 2008 JKS, and in order to preserve our marriage, this will be done by a shop. I’m sort of liking the “cleaner” appearance if the Roadmaster setup. The other item I saw was that Roadmaster tow bars have a longer warranty period than Blue Ox.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:02 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I noticed you chose the Demco aiforce one for your braking system. Have you looked at the Demco options for base plate and tow bars? I ordered mine from etrailer and found their instructional videos very easy to follow. The base plate is very robust and Demco’s experience with towed AG equipment is well known. To do the base plate, brake light wiring, and tow bar setup on my 2019 Equinox took me about 5 hours. I saved about $650. doing it myself. Just a suggestion… good luck with your choices!
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Roadmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Looking for input here from actual owners / users of these two products. Just upgraded to a newer Wrangler (2020 Rubicon Unlimited) and need to set it up for flat towing behind my Allegro RED 33AA. I will be installing a Demco Air Force One braking system, so that part is decided. I had a Blue Ox baseplatel and Ready Brute Elite on my prior 2008 JKS, but wanted to go with a better setup for more long haul travel. I like the Blue Ox baseplate, but the Roadmaster seems to be a cleaner install and does not take away from the look of the front end of the Jeep.I am not really opposed to either, as they are both good units, but wanted to hear any pros / cons that may have occurred on the newer setups. Which, now leads me to the newer tow bars; Blue Ox vs Roadmaster. I'm probably going to go with something at a minimum of 7500 pound rating, just to be on the safe side of things, but need to hear feedback from those who have these units and likes / dislikes, and if you had to of it all over again - what would you do?

The Roadmaster baseplate is this: https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...eID=2020100311

The Blue Ox baseplate is this: https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...er/BX1139.html

Tow bar choices would be: Blue Ox Ascent, Roadmaster Sterling, or Roadmaster Nighthawk (not sure about the LED lights).

Thanks for the assist!
I only have experience with Roadmaster, but am happy with both the baseplate and towbar. I like the lights on the Nighthawk, both for others to see my vehicle and it makes it easier to inspect the hookup at each stop before we leave. I believe it has an 8K capacity but is lighter than the Roadmaster All-Terrain Falcon.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
I noticed you chose the Demco aiforce one for your braking system. Have you looked at the Demco options for base plate and tow bars? I ordered mine from etrailer and found their instructional videos very easy to follow. The base plate is very robust and Demco’s experience with towed AG equipment is well known. To do the base plate, brake light wiring, and tow bar setup on my 2019 Equinox took me about 5 hours. I saved about $650. doing it myself. Just a suggestion… good luck with your choices!
Mack - Only did cursory look at the Demo tow bars. Why - just felt that i wanted to stay with the top 2 products as I can generally find them about anywhere I travel or have serviced, if needed. They do look like robust product. At the same time, I also want to stay with a matched set of bar and plate.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:58 AM   #8

I appreciate the feedback given on my question. I just scheduled installation yesterday for the Roadmaster baseplate, wiring harness and Demo AFO brake setup. The shops booked out 1 month in advance! Fortunately, this will be done a few weeks before we start traveling. I will go with a Roadmaster tower to map up with the baseplate and will probably get the Sterling All Terrain unit. Talking to Roadmaster (inn Vancouver) this morning, the tech said the only difference between the Nighthawk and Sterling is the lights and color.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #9

We have a Blue Ox base plate on our Jeep Cherokee (DIY install), a Roadmaster Base plate on our Toyota Yaris (already installed when we bought it), and currently have a Demco tow bar (previously had a blue ox tow bar).

I will say that the build quality on the Roadmaster looks better than the Blue Ox (fit, finish, welds, etc.) and the Demco tow bar looks way more beefy than the Blue Ox even though it is only slightly higher weight rating.

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably go all Demco, I was more pro-Roadmaster until I bought the Adapter cross bar to go with our Yaris to allow it to be towed with Blue Ox a style connector, so both TOADs can be towed with the same tow bar (Demco towbar has optional blue ox fittings). It arrived with gap in the paint the size of my thumb and surface rust on it, and Roadmaster said just spray paint it. That was just 2 years ago, and now I need to repaint the entire cross bar as rust is starting to pop through the finish in other places.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:27 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You said something about the Roadmaster tower. I never heard of a tower, but I know Roadmaster offers the easy connectors or the cross bar connector. The cross bar connector is often used to add equipment like a shield and quick connect cables or on some vehicles it's required. If that's what you're referring to as the "tower", I would try and do without it. It's just extra work. The first time I bought a baseplate, I didn't know and hated that cross bar. On the next five toads, I just bought the easy connectors that just slip in and lock.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #11

Good Choice. We started out with a BlueOx Avail tow bar and the BlueOx baseplate. They both worked and seemed very secure, but I did not like the look of the baseplate, and the tow bar would bind.

In our next new to us JKU we opted for the simplicity of having the towing points on the bumper in the form of an LoD Destroyer bumper, and added LoD frame mounted safety chain mounts. We also purchased the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All-Terrain as our new tow bar. It does not bind, has a very durable finish, and is easier to keep cleaned up and lubricated.

Tags
blue ox, roadmaster