Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox vs Roadmaster, which is better?

Hello All,
I am about ready to purchase a towing system and I am looking for the best product and price. I am going to purchase a late model Honda CRV to pull on all fours. I know of at least two different systems and there may be others I am not aware of. I am asking experienced owners for advice. I own a Monaco Diplomat. I live in the Seattle area and actively seeking advice about this product, any advice and information is appreciated. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Try this guy...

Best prices I've found....THey handle both brands

KC Trailer Service & Supply
541 689 0011
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #3

I've had two Honda CR-V's and both had Blue Ox tow packages. I like their baseplates alot better than Roadmasters. Blue Ox baseplates are a one piece continuous welded assembly. Roadmaster uses multiple pieces.. Thus the reason for the big bar across the front of your toad.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
My vote is for Blue-Ox. I used it on a 2000 Saturn SL1 and now on my 08 CRV. I installed it myself on both cars and it was not hard to do at all if you have normal tools and general mechanical skills.

One thing I found different from the instructions for the CRV was on each side where it fit to the car. The instructions said to bend a piece down but that would not work as the bar would not fit. Cutting the piece off worked well. I like the fact that the bar doesn't show on the car.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

The other thing with Blue Ox is they have a removable tab system on the baseplate. When you remove them you can't even see the baseplate. It gives the front of your toad a nice clean look........
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #6

I just installed the Blue Ox baseplate on our 2009 Malibu. Nice features (no crossbar and detachable pin links), solid construction and nice weld pentration. I found that with our adapter plate, it was constructed 1/4" to wide and I had to use thick washers to fill the gap. That was a hassle that I didn't need. Made me wonder how it would have been installed at an rv shop.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue Ox has a parts list for their towbars, something I couldn't find for Roadmaster
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #8

Here's another preference for Blue Ox. We've had a Blue Ox Aladdlin and now have a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain. As mentioned in previous posts, Roadmaster has too many parts. And they have that heavy bar between the connection points. Plus, the Aladdin is much lighter than the Sterling. Our base plate was installed by Roadmaster at their Portland,OR facility. That large bar in front is ill fitting. Plus, the electrical plug was attached to the weakest part of our grill. I had to secure it elsewhere. Both companies provide free service at major rallies. Two thumbs UP for Blue Ox.
Also, check to see how much of the crash resistant foam has to be removed from your front bumber for each base plate.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #9

My vote is for Blue Ox -- a much cleaner baseplate and not a lot of individual parts. Much better engineered in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the very helpful information, it looks like blue Ox is the best. I also did not realize that it is fairly easy to install yourself that will save me money on the installation. Can the Blue Ox system be purchased directly from the company or do I need to find a dealer in my area? Also, are the installation instructions easy to follow? Does Blue Ox also sell a braking system for the car? Thanks again for all this information and please keep it coming.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I also vote for the Blue Ox. Look on their web site for the install instructions for the base plate. It is not easy but straight foreword. I use a Brake Buddy system for the auxiliary braking system.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
While this thread is specific to Honda CRV, and other vehicles might be different...

I have to say that the Roadmaster XL took 6 bolts to attach to my Ford Explorer and is completely invisible...

I couldn't be happier
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Try this guy...

Best prices I've found....THey handle both brands

KC Trailer Service & Supply
541 689 0011
Here, Here! I second this vote!

I bought my Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain from them, actually as a package deal on eBay, and had it installed by them on my way through (they're just off the freeway in Eugene, OR.) It is quick and easy to hook up or disconnect, doesn't weigh a ton, what more do I want?
Old 06-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You might want to look at Demco, their new bars are great, real light, and you get allot for the money. All the systems are comparable. Roadmaster has a MX series which does not use the cross bar. So do complete research, on all three brands, look at the different installs and then make your decision.

This question is like asking whether to buy a Chevy or Ford, it is all opinion based.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote