Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought older car dolly

I got a really good deal on this old tow dolly, I paid 400.00 for it and seemed to think it was a good purchase. I will post pics below this post. I went up to ohio to purchase this car and it was my 1st time using the dollly since I bought it and it was a nightmare from hell. Not knowing how to use it may have something to do with it The dolly has the option of swivel or not to swivel. It has a pin to pull that the tray drops down and you drive the car up and and it goes down. Then also it has a pin you can pull on the back bar which allows just the wheels on the dolly to swivel. The tray the car is on does not swivel, just the dolly wheels. I am not familiar with this. I have used many dollies in the past with no issue, and I have been able to back up cars with no issue, the type that the tray swivels, you just can't back up so thats what I wanted. Back to my trip. So I get up there and load the car, the guy I bought the trailer throws in these new straps, never seen this type ever, so I get the straps locked down on the tires, I take a test spin in this parking lot and the car wants to come off the dolly, thinking I have the straps on wrong, I redo the straps, only a couple of ways to do this I am thinking, both were just not working. I am up at this point for 22 hrs, from work and had drove in all 1400 miles. So I call a tow company thinking well they should know how these straps work and maybe explain how the dolly works. Its now 11 pm friday night, pouring down rain and this guy has no clue as to how dolly straps work or about tow dollies. I finally get my 2nd or 3rd wind and calm down and decide just strap it down the best I can and see if this will work. I told the guy there is a pin I can pull to have the wheels on the dolly swivel since the tray does not.He says no you shouldn't do that because there is already to pivot point while towing. The truck and the rear wheels on the tow car. So I decided to go with the what the guy said and not pull the pin for on the trailer so the dolly wheels can swivel, besides I have never used this type before. I bought before I left for the trip a set of magnetic lights just in case from uhaul. It was the best investment, because I was so mad in trying to get this show on the road, I kicked 1 of the lights on the trailer clean off the fender. So the new lights came in handy. So on a trailer of this type, pull the pin for the dolly trailer wheels to swivel or not to pull the pin. Thanks Vman
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
http://http://http://
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

When you say that the car wants to come off, can you better describe that?

When I look at picture #3 it appears there is a slight bend in the tie bar...maybe it's just a bad angle of the shot. But if the alignment is a bit toed out, the dolly would swerve considerably. Is the a toe in adjustment?

Also one other note, what is the load rating on the dolly tires? Are they radial or original bias ply? A decent radial with a "firm" load rating will make a difference.

I hope I didn't further frustrate you, but think about, you said you have pulled with dollies before without problem...so there is something beyond the normal here...I suggest the alignment--hope I'm right, easy fix and no extra cost to your good deal.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That looks like an old Demco that someone painted pink. To tow vehicles you pull the pin and only put it in when you are pulling the dolly only.
I do not see any brakes so I assume there are none.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It also looks like you are missing a ratchet for the strap on 1st Pic shows one on the right side and nothing on the left. There is a small trick to doing the straps so they won't come undone. If needed I can send you pictures of how to install correctly. you will need to get a ratchet for the passenger side.
Looks like its in good shape, I really like the wheels on the dolly. The color of it almost matches the car.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #6

If you tried to tow the car on the dolly without removing the pin in the tie rods (rear pin) I'm not surprised the car tried to come off the dolly. It's like pulling a farm wagon with the front wheels locked in the straight ahead position. As mentioned earlier the rear pin has to be removed when towing the dolly loaded. When the pin is removed the dolly wheels will steer in the direction you are turning. The rear pin is inserted when towing the dolly without the car. It keeps the wheels from turning. When unloaded the dolly will follow like any other single axle trailer.

As you already know the front latch mechanism is released to allow the ramps to lower to the ground for loading. When the car is in the proper position on the ranps they should swivel back to the upright position and lock into place. The straps should have a hook on the rear that hook under one of the 3 loops behind the rear stop plate on each ramp. The straps are then fitted over the tire and run through the ratchet mechanism in front of the ramps. The tires should be roughly centered between the front and rear stop plates then the straps should be tightened.

While this isn't a Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly many of the loading and towing principals apply. You can download the Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly owners manual from the Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories website.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes it has both ratcheting attatchments on the front, the guy I bought it from painted it red and it does have new radial tires on it which cold air pressure is max 44psi. I put 42 pds in after I got the car on I checked pressure and they were at 24psi. I just was sure if I should pull the swivel pin for the folly wheels to swivel. I realize geometry but just never used a dolly that works like this does. Fact is the trailer is in excellent condition, more likely the operator, namely me is just not familiar enough with this type of set up. I wasn't sure which way the dolly would go once I pulled the pin, and with being sleep deprived and wore out from driving all those miles, the last thing I wanted was to do something else to agravate the situation. It also has no brakes on the trailer.

Tags
dolly