Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Brake and turn signals.

When towing my toad, front wheels up on a car dolly, behind my Class A diesel pusher, do the brake lights and turn signal need to be working on the Road, the cat dolly, or both. I only have one 4 flat wiring plug at the rear of my RV. If bother the dolly lights and the road lights have to work at same time, what is easiest way to make that happen?
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #2

If you need lights on the car as well as the tow dolly will depend upon the state which you are towing in. Back when I used a dolly i felt The rear of the car was far enough behind the dolly lights that I felt it was necessary tohave the car lights function. I modified the dolly wiring to provide a 4 pin connector for the cars lighting harness to connect to. You can bet a 4 pin ďYĒ connector to plug in the dolly and lighting harness to the car.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #3

I have been dolly towing for 8 years and only use the dolly lights. I've traveled in most of the East coast states, out as far as Arkansas.
I don't travel at night, if that means anything, but have never been stopped.

They sell a Y connector and wired or wireless lights you can use.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
If you need lights on the car as well as the tow dolly will depend upon the state which you are towing in. Back when I used a dolly i felt The rear of the car was far enough behind the dolly lights that I felt it was necessary tohave the car lights function. I modified the dolly wiring to provide a 4 pin connector for the cars lighting harness to connect to. You can bet a 4 pin ďYĒ connector to plug in the dolly and lighting harness to the car.
This is exactly what I did.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #5

I want to be as visible as I can possibly be so I used a Wye connector to power both dolly and lights on my toad. I actually pulled the lamp assemblies out of my Ford Ranger and installed dedicated sockets with LED lamps in them. This way I haven’t had to deal with diodes or any of the original wiring, and I don’t have to fool with magnetic lights. Now I have very bright rear lights on the Ranger and on the dolly. Only takes 10 seconds to plug my cord to the connector I have on the Ranger.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:49 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
I want to be as visible as I can possibly be so I used a Wye connector to power both dolly and lights on my toad. I actually pulled the lamp assemblies out of my Ford Ranger and installed dedicated sockets with LED lamps in them. This way I havenít had to deal with diodes or any of the original wiring, and I donít have to fool with magnetic lights. Now I have very bright rear lights on the Ranger and on the dolly. Only takes 10 seconds to plug my cord to the connector I have on the Ranger.
The dedicated sockets, was it on socket in each tail light? Did you put a dual element bulb in the socket? (Similar to 1157 bulb) I know you said led. If so, does that bulb handle brake light, turn signal, and running lights?. How hard was it to install and run wiring? My toad is a 2006 pt cruiser.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
The dedicated sockets, was it on socket in each tail light? Did you put a dual element bulb in the socket? (Similar to 1157 bulb) I know you said led. If so, does that bulb handle brake light, turn signal, and running lights?. How hard was it to install and run wiring? My toad is a 2006 pt cruiser.
I meant to say is it one socket for each tail light assembly.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
How did you wire your toad lights to the 4 pin plug that would tie into your RV or dolly? Did you add sockets to the inside of your existing tail light assembly or did you wire it into the car utilizing your existing tail, brake, and turn signals lights?
Old 10-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
I want to be as visible as I can possibly be so I used a Wye connector to power both dolly and lights on my toad. I actually pulled the lamp assemblies out of my Ford Ranger and installed dedicated sockets with LED lamps in them. This way I havenít had to deal with diodes or any of the original wiring, and I donít have to fool with magnetic lights. Now I have very bright rear lights on the Ranger and on the dolly. Only takes 10 seconds to plug my cord to the connector I have on the Ranger.
I have a 2006 pt cruiser and I don't know how I can fit an extra socket into the housing.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
How did you wire your toad lights to the 4 pin plug that would tie into your RV or dolly? Did you add sockets to the inside of your existing tail light assembly or did you wire it into the car utilizing your existing tail, brake, and turn signals lights?
I used diodes to connect to the existing LED lights on the vehicle. I ran the 4 pin to the front drivers scuff plate (threshold) and connected it to the 4 pin I installed on the dolly fender support. I just ran the cable out the bottom of the door when connected. It lived under the seat out of sight when not in use.

This is the wiring kit I used.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #11

You may can not I donít know. The old Ford Ranger I use had plenty of room. If that isnít the case for you, one suggestion would be to check with etrailer.com to see if they have a custom wiring assembly (that may include diodes to make everything work as it should). If they, or someone does, that would be a fairly easy fix. I like separate systems the best but if not possible look for the next reliable way to do it.

When I first towed, I used magnetic lights and it took me 10 minutes at least to mount the lights on the trunk, run the wires and hook up. And then the magnets left marks on the trunk where grit got between them and the magnet base, and the wire slapping around damaged the paint going up alongside the car. I found ways to minimize that damage going forward but it was always a pain and just one more thing using up time. Now it really does take just moments to connect my lights. Go up to the front and turn parking lights and 4 ways on, trot back and confirm all is working. And Iím good to go!

However, one caution: once I forgot to disconnect, and of course pulled the wiring loose from the pickup when I pulled it away.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #12

Yes I put sockets for dual element bulbs, one in each side. I actually used the Ford type socket and Ford type LED bulbs.

As Steve-W says a diode system works well in many cases. And as I mentioned above you may be able to get a diode / wiring assembly made to plug and play for yours. I was not happy with diodes when I first started doing it. By the time I got voltage back all the way to the back, and ran through the diode ďboxesĒ my light bulbs were really dim. I changed to LEDís but the voltage was low enough that unless my RV engine was running the LEDís wouldnít fire. Of course the main time I want them to work is when the engine is running. . . . Iím sure if I had to I would figure out a way to make the diode thing work better now, but I do like the separate system I have.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:24 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

Tags
brake