Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #1

Brake Buddy

I would welcome any feedback based on your experience or from others you know on the Brake Buddy supplemental braking system.

Ease of set-up for towing?
Reliability?

How does in compare to Blue OX Patriot 2 or 3?

Thanks
p024576kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by p024576kos View Post
I would welcome any feedback based on your experience or from others you know on the Brake Buddy supplemental braking system.

Ease of set-up for towing?
Reliability?

How does in compare to Blue OX Patriot 2 or 3?

Thanks
I used the brake buddy select 3 all last year. I found it to be a pretty easy initial install (wiring). It doesn’t rely on plugging anything in to an auxiliary port inside the vehicle. It takes all its power from the cable that runs from the trailer plug. It comes with a trickle charger as well.

After you’ve put it in a couple of times it gets pretty easy to set up and operation was flawless almost the entire time. The signal to the wireless controller worked without issue.

I only had one problem when I left it stored in the vehicle during a very hot day. When I hooked it up, it last all pressure during its brake bleeding phase. I called them for support, they walked me through taking it apart and a zip tie And 15 minutes later the problem was fixed (essentially the extremely hot temperature had caused a tube clamp inside the unit to loosen.

Overall very happy.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I had the BB Classic for 3 years then the BB Vantage Select for 12. Both worked flawlessly. I had an issue with the arm claw releasing from the brake pedal so DH always had to take it off for me. If you don't mind taking it in/out & storing it while you're using your toad, it's great. I can't make any comparison because I never had anything else. I may know more later after I have the NSA installed & am able to use it for my new toad set up.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have had mine for a year and a half. It's simple to set up and works well. My toad has a place to store it so it's very easy for me.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:01 AM   #5

Burned up my toad. Partially. It's more or less fixed now but can't say I'm a huge fan. I don't consider it a buddy.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Ours is at Brake Buddy for a new compressor. It got one about 12 years ago. Two compressors in 20 years, not too bad.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #7

I used the Brake Buddy for about 18 years.

IMO it's a good basic unit for lighter weight vehicles. When we went to towing a pickup we changed to the AF1 system. All I can say is I would never go back to a unit that must be put in and out everytime the tow vehicle is used. I love the "permanently" installed and out-of-the-way system. AF1 runs off air systems, but there are numerous types like it to choose from.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:14 AM   #8

Bought a used one after buying our Bay Star and it has worked well. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with a NSA Ready Elite Brute so that I didn't have to go through the connect/disconnect process all the time.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

I have been using mine on a Honda Fit and could never ''feel'' when the Brake Buddy was getting in action. Now towing a Lincoln MKX wich is twice the weight, I still could not tell when it is applying the brakes.

So while travelling with a friend following my rig, he noticed that the brake lights on my toad MKX only lit when I was braking hard.

The sensitivity being set to high, is it normal that the Brake Buddy only activates under hard deceleration?
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:22 PM   #10

buddy

I've had mine about 5 seasons now, not a big fan. First unit would not release during one of the "test" pushes on the brake pedal, they replaced it. Second unit wore out my brakes on my Fit half way through our trip to Yellowstone. I just tested it again today and it is staying half way down during the set up procedure .
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
...The sensitivity being set to high, is it normal that the Brake Buddy only activates under hard deceleration?
Depends on which BB you have & where you have the sensitivity set. On both my Classic & Vantage Select, sensitivity was set to medium. The Select had proportional braking. Both activated brake lights on any type of coach braking.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No problems using our Brake Buddy Select 3; model has a remote to check operation & settings while driving. Easy to install; in our case just have to install (position) while battery is still connected.

Because our toad (2021 Buick Encore GX Essence) requires a negative side battery disconnect while towing AWD, the Brake Buddy is powered by a booster pack in toad rear seat leg room area (has a simple plug switch connection).

The rechargeable booster pack is anyways handy & also has air compressor for tire pressure applications.

Good luck.
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #13

I bought one of the first ones built. It was about 1997 and He put them together in his garage in Littleton, CO. Once the sensitivity was adjusted and the air pressure set, it was a dependable system. I had it in three different toads. I gave it to a friend about 10 years ago and it was still doing the job.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:38 AM   #14

Set up issues

I have a BB 3 select installed in a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
I have two issues.
1. The brake pedal clamp can be very difficult to clamp on. I have had to struggle with the lever several times. The lever will not move easily from right to left and clamp down.

2. While setting the unit on the floor in front of the driver seat, it will not sit securely on the floor. If you know the Jeep floor it is not very flat. I have tried adjusting the legs to get it to sit better with limited success. It also seems like a tight fit from the front of the seat to the brake pedal. Also when bleeding the unit it wobbles around on the floor and makes you wonder if it is working properly when on the road. If I move the seat up too much I worry I will burn up the brakes

Questions: Does anyone else have issues with clamping on the brake Clevis?

Any hints or tricks to setting up the unit on the floor specifically for the Jeep Wrangler?
Dewindt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake