Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
brake buddy/ battery charge

hi new at towing 4 down so ths may be just a stuoid question but i have a 2011 jeep wrangler and using the blue ox patriot 2010 break buddie system and was wondering if i need to run a wire from the coach to the jeep to keep the batterie charged and if the break buddie constantly pulls from the batterie of the jeep, this break buddie does have a baterie in it self also but not to sure how it all works, getting ready to go to florida in febuary so it will be the first long hual withthis settup. i plan on driving 4-6 hours a day and then stoping for a day no rush to get there and back. any info will be great thanks
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jimbooth25,
I do not use or know about BB battery draw. However, I use TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer to ensure the toad battery stays charged. For me, it is cheap insurance against unplanned tasks. The USGEAR brake system, I use, charges the toad battery automatically. The toad charge is a backup to the USGEAR capability.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've used Brake Buddy on my Jeep and now Explorer toads without any charging hook up. No problems at all so far.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

just in case, I have a solar trickle charger sitting on the dash of my toad and plug it into the cig lighter using a Y adapter. Never had any issues.
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have towed for up to 5 days without any problems. I don't even unplug it at night while camping.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK my two cents...I have had a dead battery on my toad from towing. So I starting use the Toad-Charger..works great keeps things charged on the toad. No more dead toad battery.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
so whats this toad charger thing?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
was wondering if i can tap into the light wires that are run from the coach to put an 12v port to plug the break buddie into that instead of the on in the jeep, any feed back would be great
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
forgot to say its a 4 way plug from the mh to the jeep
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbooth25 View Post
so whats this toad charger thing?
This will keep your tow vehicle battery charged while towing. You hook it up to the MH chassis battery, run a long wire (supplied) to the back of the MH, across the tow hitch and hook into the car battery. Has an included protection to keep from over charging the toad or draining the MH battery. With this in use you need not worry about having a dead battery in the tow vehicle having towed long distances. Works like a charm...I use one and would not tow without it.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
was wondering if i can tap into the light wires that are run from the coach to put an 12v port to plug the break buddie into that instead of the on in the jeep, any feed back would be great
Break Buddy instructions do not say anything about doing this, BUT this seems kind of odd. IF you lose power to the Break Buddy "if" the plug fails you have no breaking in the tow vehicle. I would instead us a 12v port/plug on or in the Jeep. Be very sure to fuse the plug. While traveling\towing the Break Buddy will be drawing current from the Jeep battery. But the draw should not be heavy...unless you traveling very long distances. The try a Toad Charge.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #12

I am new to the RV world as well. I have the brake buddy system on our 2003 Jeep Liberty. I ran the extra auxillary lights into the existing lenses of the jeep so that I can unhook the toad battery. We have made three trips to Florida (right at 1000 miles one way). I have no auxillary charger on my toad and have not had a single problem with dead batteries. I do however, keep a 110v battery charger in the coach for any battery issues.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:

Only if you want to have significant wiring damage in the lighting system of your coach!! The BrakeBuddy will draw close to 15 amps when it applies the brakes on your toad. This is why BrakeBuddy recommends 12 gauge wiring be used to wire the power port DIRECTLY to the toad battery with a 15 amp inline fuse. The lights on your coach are probably wired with 16 or 18 guage wire which is not heavy enough to handle the current draw.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #14

There's lots of high priced solutions to your problem that many will try to promote, but all you need is a wire and fuse. Your class A should have a +12V post in the seven wire plug. Run a 10ga wire up to the + (red) post on your battery. To protect the circuit, put a 15 or 20A fuse close to the battery. Check the +12 on your class A plug to see if it goes cold when you turn the RV ignition off. Some stay hot and some shut down. I'm a belt and suspenders type guy myself, so when I stop for a night on the road without unhooking, I pull the 7 wire plug to be sure I don't drain coach batteries. I also use a cigar lighter voltage monitor (< $10 at Walmart) in the toad to keep track of toad battery condition. When you put the 7 pin in, you'll see a change in voltage on the monitor that confirms the charging setup is working. Easy, quick, and cheap and it's worked for over 110K tow miles for us.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, battery