Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Edit: TM systems alert at 167F. I'm pretty sure the rim was hotter than that. $80 for two sensors via Amazon on the way shortly.
You can't set the temperature alert threshold on a TireMinder? I can set it anywhere I want on my TST 507. I have mine set to about fifteen degrees hotter than I've ever seen the tires, so 125 degrees.

I'm surprised you didn't blow a tire when things got that hot. Do you have any concerns about tire damage from the heat or have you since driven enough miles that you're OK with them?

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
I will tell you that you simply cannot tell from the driver's seat that any of this is going on without some sort of alarm. A 35K+ lbs. coach with 400HP and 1200 ft-lbs or torque just doesn't notice the rear brake engagement on a CR-V. Nope. Not one bit. Not at all.
I cannot tell in my 22,000 lb gasser when my 3,800 lb flat tow Equinox is applying its power brakes either. I added a wireless display to the Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO that lights some LEDs in the motorhome when the brake pedal in the Equinox moves.

The wireless display actually showed me that I had the DUO system adjusted so the brakes were coming on late. In the city they only engaged right before the stop. Now they come on earlier as I prefer. I still can't tell up front, though.

I do have TPMS sensors on all four tires of the car. Since they are rubber valve stems I put the sensors on before a trip and take them off at the final destination. No sense tempting fate.

From your call I can tell you know how to wire up a light as another person suggested. Just remember to run that extra wire from the inside to the baseplate electrical connector when the baseplate is installed. I did not remember...

Ray
Old 09-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
My suggestion is to convert your dolly to either surge or electric brakes
Not doing that. Will convert to flat tow next year, as I posted earlier, and it's not a transferable investment.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You can't set the temperature alert threshold on a TireMinder? I can set it anywhere I want on my TST 507. I have mine set to about fifteen degrees hotter than I've ever seen the tires, so 125 degrees.

I'm surprised you didn't blow a tire when things got that hot. Do you have any concerns about tire damage from the heat or have you since driven enough miles that you're OK with them?

Ray
Some great comments. I did some additional research.

There is nothing in the TM manual about setting a different HT threshold, I'm afraid. I'd be happy to set it lower.

From a bit of searching, I find that caliper seals are usually made of EPDM, and that material is often rated for a maximum operating temperature of 300F. What I took for pad smoke was probably brake fluid smoke, and the flash point of DOT 3 brake fluid is 500-700F. Let's say the calipers got to 500F or more. 500F is the ignition point of neoprene, and the caliper slide seals were burned to white ash.

How much of that heat would transfer to the tire? When we stopped, the rims were hot--no question--but a quick tap near the outer edge did not actually burn my finger, and it did not seem as hot as a 60W incandescent light bulb (a comparand that will be lost to young people shortly!). So, I suspect the rims were under 200F. At 200F, the pressure increase is pretty minor, about 22%, and the tire pressure would have been 43 PSI for a relatively short period. I'm not that worried about 200F. Racers hit that temperature pretty routinely on DOT-rated tires (Hoosier even has a chart for them). I have a spare IR thermometer. I should probably put it in the coach so I don't have to guess at temperatures in the future!

The tires themselves, though, were not nearly that hot except for the beads where they contact the rim. I could hold my hand on them, so they were under 120F. The air temperature inside the tires? No clue, but probably between 120F and 200F. What was the maximum temperature they reached between brake activation and when we stopped? Also no idea, but airflow over rims and tires helped keep things from getting even hotter.

Between towing and driving, the tires have gone about 600 miles since then. They'll see another few hundred miles of local driving before we tow the car again. I got what are probably incompatible TPMS sensors (not as advertised), so I will probably have to remove and reinstall the tires to get the car's own TPMS up and running. If so, we'll see what they look like inside, especially at the beads. I am curious to see whether the continuous brake application wore the tire treads, but it's been raining so I decided to wait for today to measure the tread depth.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #19

We had the same thing happen on our toad towing 4 down. But the tire pressure monitor sounded an alarm as soon as things started to heat up. We can set the alarms to go off at any temperature. We pulled over immediately with no significant damage or issues. I would not ever just depend on the Brake Buddy alarm since ours is not an alarm, but the lights in the coach change from green to red. The dark plastic cover makes it difficult to see the lights change. Not something you might notice for a while. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
We had the same thing happen on our toad towing 4 down. But the tire pressure monitor sounded an alarm as soon as things started to heat up. We can set the alarms to go off at any temperature. We pulled over immediately with no significant damage or issues. I would not ever just depend on the Brake Buddy alarm since ours is not an alarm, but the lights in the coach change from green to red. The dark plastic cover makes it difficult to see the lights change. Not something you might notice for a while. Chuck
I hear ya. Yep, I do. Additional TPMS sensors are on order. I am hopeful that BB will replace or repair our transmitter/receiver pair and make the BB breakaway alarm work, but two alarms are better than one.

With my home tool set to bring to bear (floor jack, jack stands, air tools, etc.) I did a complete inspection and replaced the rotors and pads today.

Next up: New wheel bearings. Their seals are also damaged, so while they might make it through the winter, they're on borrowed time. Sigh. I should probably replace the rear brake hoses, too, while I'm at it. They look OK but they're cheap. Parking brake cable seals seem OK. Oddly, the parking brake adjustment plugs (rubber or neoprene or whatever) are a bit singed, but intact.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #21

Transmitter/Receiver pair back from the BB folk. No trouble found. I'll repeat the test I did before. Then, if as expected, it doesn't work I'll probabluy ship them the whole thing. I'll do some testing first, to make sure the breakaway switch works and the voltage for the alarm is presented to the transmitter, but since I previously tested the switch and wiring, I expect I'll be finding a box and shipping it out. Sigh...
Old 10-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #22

Finally getting back to this. I re-tested and still get no alarm, though the piston is extended to actuate the brakes when the switch contacts are connected (as they are by the breakaway switch). So I called BB again and reported no alarm. This time they took me through things step by step and...

In the Setup part of the BB instructions, along with other steps that need be performed only once, is a step to operate the Test button repeatedly until the lights matching the sensitivity setting turn green. This step is *ALWAYS* necessary when you use it, and it's not in the Operation section of the instructions. So this boils down to user error, I'm afraid.

Sort of an expensive lesson...sigh. But now we have three ways to tell the BB thinks there's been a breakaway or is otherwise keeping the toad brakes on: The BB alarm, the surveyor's tape, and the TPMS alarm. With any luck, this wil suffice.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #23
NXR

Thanks for the follow-up. Perhaps your experience will help someone in the future.

Ray
Old 10-06-2020, 05:27 AM   #24

What I did out of an abundance of caution was to tie into the brake light circuit of my toad with a small but bright red LED and a 2 prong plug for easy disconnect, with about 6' of wire. I attach the "brake light" to the back of my toad's rear view mirror with velcro. Now I can see when my toad's brake lights are on through my rear view monitor. I have an older BB without the remote display. Not sure I want to trust the remote display even if I have it. This way, I know exactly when my toad's brakes are on. Also helped me dial in the BB, as I know when it activates. I have it set to only activate on moderate...or even slightly above moderate braking.

Tags
brake, brakes, toad