Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Brake Buddy Classic II Installation

I have purchased a Brake Buddy Classic II and have heard that it can be easily installed on my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited. Looking at the instructions provided by Brake Buddy, and considering my limited brain power and lack of technical skill, I'm not sure I am going to understand how to do it. I really don't want to pay the local RV service center 2 or 3 hundred bucks to do it if I can. Does anyone know of any good videos of the process? The only ones I can find are of old models or the Stealth, which are very different.
ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

What don't you understand about it? I have the older model and it is pretty simple. I did run a wire inside for the breakaway switch but other then that it just plugs in the the 12V outlet.

I'm guessing you have the charger with yours and that is what you are trying to figure?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
What don't you understand about it? I have the older model and it is pretty simple. I did run a wire inside for the breakaway switch but other then that it just plugs in the the 12V outlet.

I'm guessing you have the charger with yours and that is what you are trying to figure?
Doesn't have a 12 V plug. It is wired to the battery. The main things that concern me are that I do not see a place to feed the wiring from the battery to inside the Jeep without drilling a hole in the firewall, which I and not comfortable with just because I don't want to screw something up. Also not sure about mounting the break away junction box on the front for the same reason. I have attached the instructions PDF. Brake Buddy.pdf
Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Ok, looking at the firewall in the engine compartment on the drivers side you should see a spot to run the wires through. I'd have to look at mine again but I'm pretty sure it's right around the brakes.
I used a welding wire for doing tig but a coat hanger will work too and push it through from the engine compartment so you can tape your wires for the dash mount plug to it and pull them back through.
As for mounting the breakaway,I've seen people use velcro but I drilled and screwed mine down.
I'll get you a couple pictures tomorrow which should make my explanation make a little more sense.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
Ok, looking at the firewall in the engine compartment on the drivers side you should see a spot to run the wires through. I'd have to look at mine again but I'm pretty sure it's right around the brakes.
I used a welding wire for doing tig but a coat hanger will work too and push it through from the engine compartment so you can tape your wires for the dash mount plug to it and pull them back through.
As for mounting the breakaway,I've seen people use velcro but I drilled and screwed mine down.
I'll get you a couple pictures tomorrow which should make my explanation make a little more sense.
Thanks,
I have taken and attached a couple of photos of the engine compartment driver's side firewall and from inside under the dash. I don't see any grommet or wires going through the firewall from the engine compartment side, which makes me think I would have to drill a hole, which I could do but makes me nervous. Please let me know if I'm not looking in the right place. Also attached a photo of the grill of my Jeep and wondering the best place to secure the break away junction box. Baseplate for towbar has not yet been attached. Thanks to you and anyone else with suggestions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3863.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	202268

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	202269

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	202270

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	202271
Old 05-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Sorry I got stuck late at work last night and didn't get the pics until this morning.You are in the right spot for the wires. In my picture you can see where I went through the firewall behind the brake booster beside the other wires with the loom on them. I didn't have to drill, I just used an awl to make a hole then feed the wires through with a hard wire.

I have an aftermarket bumper where I mounted the brake away, which you could do on yours as well or use velcro like I mentioned. The wires run down behind the grill in front of the windshield washer fluid bottle where the factory block heater cord runs if you have one. The grill comes off quite easy to make it easier to tie strap the wires. Just a 1/2 dozen or so plastic fasteners holding it on. Does this make sense?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brake away.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	202380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Wiring.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	202381  

Tags
brake, install