RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Brake Buddy Issue

Just found a used brake buddy on Marketplace. Plugged it in and the compressor starts but will not shut off. Does the Breakaway switch need to be plugged in for it to start up correctly? I had to order on as it didn't come with it. The other alternative is there is a problem with the electronic regulator. Don't want to have to send it in if it is an easy issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontuy1 View Post
Just found a used brake buddy on Marketplace. Plugged it in and the compressor starts but will not shut off. Does the Breakaway switch need to be plugged in for it to start up correctly? I had to order on as it didn't come with it. The other alternative is there is a problem with the electronic regulator. Don't want to have to send it in if it is an easy issue.
Not familiar with a Brake Buddy specifically, but all the systems I am aware of require the breakaway switch to be plugged in. I have read where some stick in a golf Tee to temporarily shut off the switch, but the missing plug seems to be your issue.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like one of the air tubes inside blew up or off. Can you hear the sound of rushing air? I am assuming you are seeing no motion of the actuator. Happened to mine when it was brand new, but was rapidly fixed under warranty. Could be a bad compressor too.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, 600 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Explorer and DW at The Great Outdoors.
waterman480 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #4

waterman, I don't know that I would consider it Rushing air but it does sound like it is coming out somewhere. Did not see an obvious hose out of place but haven't taken the cover off yet. I should have the breakaway kit in a couple days and will try that before I go the disassembly route.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

The break away switch is setup to short the two contacts when the pin is removed. The unit should function without the switch plugged in. When those two pins get shorted, the unit will apply the brakes.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

I agree with Elwood68, I move my brake buddy, one with breakaway one without. Everything is normal in both situations.

BTW. Make sure you have a battery tender hooked up, powered from the the RV 12v or it will kill your battery pretty quick.
Jgeib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #7

Like mentioned the break away doesn't need to be plugged in on mine either. And it won't kill my battery like yours Jgeib. I have left it on for 2 dyas while traveling and the Jeep started the way it normanally does.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I bought a used Brake Buddy to replace my 2002 version.

A major difference is that unless the break away lead is plugged into the brake buddy, the compressor will not refill the air tank after applying the brake pedal.

I do not know if that is supposed to be how it works. But this one does.

Otherwise it has performed nicely.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #9

Thanks guys. Maybe I will take off the cover and make sure everything is cinnected before I give up and send it in.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #10

I have the BB Classic and it does NOT have to have the breakaway switch plugged in for the compressor to fill and stop on its own. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

Update...Sent in the Brake Buddy Vantage. They said the main board has some corrosion (i didn't see that when I took it apart) and that the electronic regulator was leaking. For $399 they would upgrade everything to the Vantage Select including the remote and 1 year warrantee. Done. Should have it back next week.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:47 AM   #12

Considering what a new one would cost, I think they are providing great customer service. It's nice to know since I own a Bake Buddy Advantage that I purchased used.

Thanks for sharing the information.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake