Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Set up my Brake Buddy, just as I have before, only this time it's apparently not working. No red light coming on at the receiver in the coach (yes, the green is lit, indicating it is working,) no tug on the coach, telling me toad brakes have been applied. Double checked settings, tested and retested using the button, cycled the air pressure motor several times to clear any vacuums, etc.

Drove and braked - still nothing. The thing that comes to mind is, if the electronics are all working, that leaves only the "pendulum" or whatever activates the inertia dependend system to apply the brakes.

Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Set up my Brake Buddy, just as I have before, only this time it's apparently not working. No red light coming on at the receiver in the coach (yes, the green is lit, indicating it is working,) no tug on the coach, telling me toad brakes have been applied. Double checked settings, tested and retested using the button, cycled the air pressure motor several times to clear any vacuums, etc.

Drove and braked - still nothing. The thing that comes to mind is, if the electronics are all working, that leaves only the "pendulum" or whatever activates the inertia dependend system to apply the brakes.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
With my Brake Buddy, I have the same problem if I don't leave a little gap between the Brake Buddy handle and the front seat. That gap seems to allow the Brake Buddy to wobble a little bit at the start of braking to set off the sensor. Once it activates, the piston pushes on the brake and rams the handle against the seat.
Also, when you hit the test button, does the red light show on the coach receiver?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tom, great info, you may have hit the nail on the head.
This last hookup, for whatever reason, I brought the front seat up a little closer, on the premise that if I leave no gap, there should be less slop in the activation, therefor more "accuracy," or definitive braking, whatever.
This is the first time I've done that, and the first time I never got a confirming light, even once.
I never even thought to check if the receiver goes on as part of the test, it has never not worked.
I have contacted the factory, will let them know what you said.
Thanks so much again.
Ken
Old 08-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We had a similar problem and had to do a reset on the system. Check out their website for the how to. Worked fine since then.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote