Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

brake buddy problem

I have an older brake buddy I believe 2004 which was working fine but now when I test it 3 times or more it shuts the power off to the unit and it is not from the power source. It is in the unit itself. I unplug it for a couple of minutes and it starts agin but when testing it shuts off. I took the case apart and the little compressor motor seems quite warm to me. Everything else is in good working order and after it cools down it works again until I test it 3 to 4 times.
I have a part number for the motor. Do you know can I purchase the motor by itself if that is the problem?
part # 665253
19360-04
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lyle
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
At 13-14 years old I'd be tossing it on the scrap pile and getting a new unit.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

Why don't you just contact Brake Buddy??????
Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

If it is the old square metal box, when I called Brake Buddy last week, they don't have parts for them anymore and can't repair them. They will sell you a reman Classic Brake Buddy complete for $ 650 with 1 year warranty. You don't have to send them the old one.
Superbee Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake buddy will not sell parts, but they will repair and have a fair turnaround time and cost. Had my circuit board replaced on my 6 year old unit last year for about $200 including return shipping. Took about a week to get it back after they got it.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the Brake Buddy problem responses. The problem is fixed by a direct larger wire direct to the battery.
Thanks
Lyle
Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
At 13-14 years old I'd be tossing it on the scrap pile and getting a new unit.
I have an '03/'04 Classic BB. I sent it back to BB and they basically replaced the pump/hoses/regulator, replaced the power cord and cleaned the outside to look like new. For about $250 in about a weeks time. Way less than throwing on the scrap pile and buying a new one. Besides the stuff they replaced, not much can deteriorate with the plastic case and metal actuator arm.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubless View Post
Thanks for the Brake Buddy problem responses. The problem is fixed by a direct larger wire direct to the battery.
Thanks
Lyle
Good to hear it's working. Low voltage from undersized wire can do weird things!
I have one of the old square box units, and love it! All mechanical and I can fix any part of it.
KISS is the way to go!!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake