Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

Have been using a brake buddy for 4 years. Have sent the brake buddy back for repairs every year for the last three years. This time it was the circuit board AND tank was cracked. This is the second time for each item.
They are telling me the wiring on my Saturn '06 Vue is too light for A brake buddy to operate properly and this is also causing the circuit boards to short out.(wire is 18Ga on a 20 amp fuse)
Something doesn't make sense here to me. Need to hear some other opinions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #2

Have been using a brake buddy for 4 years. Have sent the brake buddy back for repairs every year for the last three years. This time it was the circuit board AND tank was cracked. This is the second time for each item.
They are telling me the wiring on my Saturn '06 Vue is too light for A brake buddy to operate properly and this is also causing the circuit boards to short out.(wire is 18Ga on a 20 amp fuse)
Something doesn't make sense here to me. Need to hear some other opinions.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about the wiring on a Saturn, but you could definitely work around the problem by hooking an add-on 12V power plug directly to the battery. Radio Shack should be a good source for the parts you would need.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like baloney to me..... How much power could that thing draw? Many devices that plug in draw significant power, air compressors, computers, even coffee pots! I think someone is pulling your leg......
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I can smell that through the computer screen... and it doesn't smell good.

Brent Schuck
Research and Development
Graphic Design
Demco Manufacturing, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #6

I provide a separate 12 volt receptical for my Brake Buddy, wired directly to the battery, through a suitable fuse. About 10 years with no problems. These "cigar lighter" receptacals are also available at auto parts stores. Get one with a suitable current rating, and use appropriate guage wire for the connection.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #7

I don't understand what's going on with your BB. I have the original BB purchased in '99. I'm on my 2nd rig and 3rd tow car.

I now use the BB in my '04 Saturn Vue V6. I just plug it into the 12 volt recepticle. I haven't had any problems, even on cross country trips.

I'm sorry for your troubles, I can't offer any suggestions.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #8

Go to the Brake Buddy web site. They have a kit for $20 part #39305 to get power directly from the battery.
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
jfb

We've been wired directly to the battery with appropriate fusing since 1998 with our Brake Buddy. Never a problem. We got BB to help out in an emergency situation. We've NEVER gotten into a situation where we've REAllY needed it! I'd like to hear about any experiences where BB, or any other supplemental braking system, saved their bacon in an emergency situation.
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #10

We just replaced the Alert System for our 10 year old Brake Buddy. The range is much better, BB tested up to 100 feet. Also has warning buzzer if breakaway occurs. If you have the original metal case model, get the interconnect wire for transmitter, or wont fit. Much more robust design.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote