Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What system are you using in your Outlook. The outlook will be pulled by a Gas coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What system are you using in your Outlook. The outlook will be pulled by a Gas coach.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I tow an a Acadia behind a diesel and use the Brakemaster system. On a gas coach the Brakemaster would simply require an optional air compressor on the motorhome to operate the Brakemaster's air-driven cylinder. An air-powered system is handy for these cars, since they require that most 12v power in the car be deactivated by pulling a major fuse or using a disconnect switch.

But you can use a self-contained system like a Brake Buddy too - just add a 12V outlet wired direct to the car battery or to the Underhood Power Center.

Either method works fine Acadia/Outlook/Enclave vehicles.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #4

UPS- As Roamer said above the Brake-buddy will work just fine as well. This is the system that I have been using for about 5,000 miles of towing an '07 Outlook behind a Hurricane. Prior to the 50 amp fuse pull procedure, I installed a hot outlet (wired directly to the battery) under the dash that worked fine. I have since found that by pulling the 50amp fuse under the hood (current procedure from GM) I still have a cigarette lighter that is hot on the center console. I have since removed the other wire and use the factory outlet.

07 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
ocfd_179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on my Acadia, we use the SMI Silent Partner and it works great. one day forgot to turn it off after dropping the vehicle and when the other half pulled away, i was still controlling her brakes. great wireless system. i am hoping they come up with a work around so that I do not have to always pull the 50 amp fuse, not that easy to get to. plus you have to reset all of your electronics
Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

majfrizz,
Add a switch to the 50A fuse circuit or get a remote controlled disconnect like Battery Brain. Either one makes it simply to prepare for towing. I added a switch and mounted it under the hood next to the fuse box. You could even bring it into the cabin if you wanted, but popping the hood is easy enough.

You can also get a replacement 50A fuse from a NAPA store that is taller than the OEM fuse. Makes it a whole lot easier to get your fingers on it. Still have to get the pesky cover off that underhood box, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Roamer.
I can not find the fuse at napa. Do you have a part number?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:

You can also get a replacement 50A fuse from a NAPA store that is taller than the OEM fuse. Makes it a whole lot easier to get your fingers on it. Still have to get the pesky cover off that underhood box, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, at your suggestion I also went to NAPA to get the longer 50 amp fuse a few weeks ago. No luck and apparently NAPA stores are independantly owned and have different suppliers. I also was wondering if you might have that part number from NAPA and as I travel around I will try and find one which carries the longer fuse. Thanks.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote