Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Well with technology moving right along and leaving me back in the dust at times i am trying to find the right choice of a brake controller for my Toad which is a 2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited. I have read about tapping into air line on MH to big boxes you put on drivers floor board....??
Would like to get good quality but simple unit to set up / operate. Sure would like to here about brake systems that you are currently using and satisfied with. The internet researching makes me dizzy at times.
Thank you for any recommendations.

NSA ReadyBrake! Easy to install, simple operation, economical, and effective! What more could you ask for!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #16

Brake system

Thanks kindly for the great info. The Jeeps not going anywhere without a brake system so I will have one of the systems mentioned installed.
Thanks again and happy trails.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Before you choose which manufacturer you want be sure to check the compatibility list, for example M & G does not offer a unit for a Jeep Grand Cherokee after 2010, but they do have one for the OP's Sahara.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan Trvlr View Post
Hey, Stubble Jumper, you are on the right track. We looked at M&G but went with the AFOne because it could be moved to other towed vehicles without buying any special parts, and because it gave a lighted signal that the brakes were being applied in the towed vehicle. It is easy to hook up, and has worked seamlessly for us.

When you find the best cost on the one you choose, you can install it yourself if you have the inclination, a covered workspace and reasonable working temperatures. Like everything we do for the first time, it can take some planning, and more time than it would for a person with experience - especially if you are fussy about how your work looks. I did the install on the towed, after building an aluminum bracket to mount the vacuum manifold box to. I got good advice from the telephone support staff at AFOne on how to correct what was wrong, after the trained heavy duty mechanic who installed the coach side connected into the wrong air line.

Your choice will depend on if/when you expect to switch towed vehicles. Best wishes for smooth stops and safe traveling. Have a good day, eh!
The M&G also has this you have to run the wire for the dash mounted LED.. works great FYI...
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, just to be different.... I use the U.S. Gear Unified Brake Systems Unified Tow Brake. Have used it on three different toads and two different motorhomes. Works for me.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #20

The AF1 comes with a ping tank - a small tank and valve system that serves to isolate the brake air line tap from the rest of the coach air. The M&G does not. Many folks have tapped into the brake system directly, with no reported ill effects. However, to be fully DOT compliant you should isolate the air tap. Spartan sells a ping tank system (the AF1 tank is pretty much a direct copy).
Old 08-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought an "Add-A-Brake", new, in box, for $150.

I'll be installing it in my Saturn Vue.

This is a no-frills, no thrills, unit that was built by Roadmaster for exclusive sale by Camping World. They are currently on sale for $370

Add-a-Brake Portable Supplemental Braking System - Roadmaster 8800 - Towed Vehicle Braking - Camping World.

This is a non-proportional unit, When the MH brakes are applied for more than about 2 seconds. this unit applies the toad brakes at a preset pressure. It then releases the toad brake when the MH brakes are released.

I bought it mainly for the break-away functionality rather than the added braking.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #22

Brake system

Well a large RV dealer really pumped my tires regarding the Air Force One. He then quoted me , with tax , slightly over $4200 installed........six hours labor on MH and six hours labor on Jeep.......looks like i will be buying RV brake2 for $1150.00
Old 08-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well with technology moving right along and leaving me back in the dust at times i am trying to find the right choice of a brake controller for my Toad which is a 2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited. I have read about tapping into air line on MH to big boxes you put on drivers floor board....??
Would like to get good quality but simple unit to set up / operate. Sure would like to here about brake systems that you are currently using and satisfied with. The internet researching makes me dizzy at times.
Thank you for any recommendations.
RVI brake. Have it for 5 years and couldn't be simpler to use. I use it in 2 different toads, takes a minute to set up, you have control and info whats going on in toad from coach, easy to store when not in use.

http://rvibrake.com/products/rvibrak...ant=8804230277
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 6.04.03 PM.png
Views:	96
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	137140  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #24
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Well a large RV dealer really pumped my tires regarding the Air Force One. He then quoted me , with tax , slightly over $4200 installed........six hours labor on MH and six hours labor on Jeep.......looks like i will be buying RV brake2 for $1150.00
X2 on the Rvi2. Have had it since we bought the coach with no regrets. Takes only a couple of minutes to put in and take out. Big plus for us was that it has the option of adding TPMS to the toad and monitoring the tires through the same monitor as the brake system.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #25

Brake system

Thanks again guys , I ordered the RVibrake 2 on line today and should arrive in about 10 days which I can deal with. Looks like a pretty good system.
Jim , switching gears a bit , but does the TPSM that you can get from RVibrake just cover four wheels [ toad only ] or can you have your coach monitored also.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #26
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, just the 4 toad tires
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Well, just to be different.... I use the U.S. Gear Unified Brake Systems Unified Tow Brake. Have used it on three different toads and two different motorhomes. Works for me.

Ron
Been using US Gear on my Jeep for 8 years never a problem. My Monaco was pre-wired for it.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Call SMI. They will find you a shop that will charge a fair price. They install the AFO at their factory for $400 (4 hour flat rate). It should take no longer than 4 to 6 hours for the entire install..

Tags
brake, toad