Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Brake system for towed Jeep

I know this has probably been asked and we'll get a lot of different answers but for those that have a brake system installed Hubby is looking at pneumatic. Tried a couple searches but not getting any clear results for information. What system do you have for those towing? Recommendations?
Hopefully, I'm making myself clear.

cyn
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I went with the Redi brute... it has a surge brake built into hitch. To me it was less complicated, installed it myself.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We're towing a 2012 Jeep Liberty behind a HR Endeavor 43' DFT. We went with a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and base plate set - along with SMI Air Force One supplemental breaking system.

It's certainly not the cheapest set up out there .. but it tows like a dream and is as easy as can be to connect and disconnect from the toad.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We use a portable unit (the BlueOx Patriot) so that we can move it between toads (both are Jeeps). The system works fine - we are quite happy with it. The receiver stays on the dash of the MH; both Jeeps have brake-light wiring installed. Makes it plug-and-play. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Towing a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with RVibrake 2. I looked at a lot of systems before I found this one. Small as a brief case and easy to install. Recommend that you check their website, there are also several useful videos on the site.
Fartraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

We use the M&G engineering brake system. We just hook up the air line and go. It hooks into the air brake line and has a line run to the back of the rv. You have to have a adapter put on your master brake system on the car. When you apply th brake on the rv it sends air to the car to apply brake. We are very happy with it. We also had it on our gasser.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use an EvenBrake, I have 2 different toads, a Jeep, and a pickup. I needed something I can easily transfer from one vehicle to the other.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
X2 on the RVI2 Brake. It is very easy to set up and there are no permanent cables or installation in the Jeep, other than the removable breakaway switch. It is adjustable for vehicle size and braking sensitivity. Their customer service is top notch. I also researched numerous systems and settled on this one.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I'll post a vote for the RVi2 brake, as it is cleanly designed, quality built, and I agree that customer service is top-notch. A call to the customer support is a call to the owner of the company. This is also a very good upgrade to the original RVi brake, which did have some glitches and some parts issues. It is very easy to hook up, and the only install element is the breakaway switch. I use it with a Blue-Ox heavy tow bar to pull an 8,000# Hummer H2, and the adjustable braking level is quite helpful. Good pricing is also available online, versus from brick and mortar dealers, often $200-300 less.

Tom and Sherri DeWire
Richmond, VA and Lake Mary, FL

Tom and Sherri DeWire
opusdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #10

I have the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar (10000 lb rating) with a home made base plate to tow our 2009 Wrangler.
The simplest system to me was the Roadmaster "BrakeMaster" actuator. This is so simple to install and remove it is crazy. Works off the truck air system and doesn't require power.
Jeeps are great because you don't have to pull fuses, leave the keys in it, start them every couple hours and can be towed as fast as you want.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	97929  
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, brake