Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Question Brakemaster dash light

I have a Roadmaster/Brakemaster system on my MH and everything seems to work okay, except the light on the MH dash does not light up when the brakes are applied to the toad. What should I be looking at to correct this problem. Thank you
pappaono is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Rich
The first place to start would be at the toad disconnect. Have someone press the brake pedal and see if you have voltage (or use a test light) to see if you've tied into the correct brake switch wire. If it's good there, just work your way forward looking for the voltage.

Another thought is do you have the Brakemaster light wire with the correct polarity, as it is a LED, and they will not work if wired in reverse.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Dennis; the light was woking correctly previously, just stopped working last time I towed the car. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting numerous time with no luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaono View Post
Dennis; the light was woking correctly previously, just stopped working last time I towed the car. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting numerous time with no luck.
did you replace the bulb?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #5

Cool

Betcha I know what's wrong....is your car connected to the tow bar or not??? If not, you dont have a ground and the light won't work....don't ask me how I know this
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Dan L No, bulb hasn't been replace, can't find any instructions on how to remove and replace said bulb. If you have any information on that please share it with me. Thank you
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Footdoc, yes tow bar was connected to toad so that isn't the answer to my problem, but thank you for the suggestion I was going to just hook up the Brakemaster connections to see if by chance I had not made a good connection. Without you info I would not have had a good ground and still wouldn't have had a light.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had the same problem on our recent trip to Fla.,the problem was a bad connection at the MH receptical. The connectors inside the receptical are spilt in the middle, I just used a knife and spread the connectors open a bit more, that solved my problem, hope it helps you.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know if you have been able to resolve your problem or not yet. I did the original installation of the light on our MH and have installed the toad end on two different Saturns. There is no magic to the light on the dash. In fact, I used a 12v LED from Radio Shack rather than the light that came with the kit and it has worked fine for 5 year.

There is a single wire from the MH side of the toad connector. I routed mine along the chassis rail bundles and up into the driver's compartment. It hooks to the positive side of the bulb (the bulb in the package is self-contained and just has two wires coming out of it.) The other wire from the bulb is tied to the MH's frame ground. Removal/Replacement would simply be cutting/unwiring those two connections to the bulb and putting a new bulb in its place. I actually mounted my LED in a little project box and mounted that box to the dash, right at the base of the steering column, rather than drilling a hole in my dash somewhere as the instructions called for.

Testing the connection on the front toad with a test light and someone stepping on the toad's brake pedal, as was susggested, it a good way to isolate the problem. You could easily hook a lawn mower battery the the MH's frame and the MH side of the light to verify the wiring and light on the MH side.

On my last change, I stopped using the wire bundled with the air line. I tapped directly into the MH side wire and routed it to a 6 way umbilical cord to the toad. On the toad side, I ran that same wire directly to the cold side of the brake switch. It eliminates one hookup step. I was already re-wiring the MH side of the toad connection to separate out the brake and turn signal lights on our toad. I like the idea of the turn signals using a different bulb all together and with the 4 wire connector, that isn't possible. I like the new arrangement much better,
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to mention that I did as chasfm11 did and hooked the wire going to the dash through the umbelical cord, and my problem was in the MH receptical.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
chasfm11 & legryz; thank you for the information. I was able to get the repalcement LED from CW, but before I put it in I will try the connections at the MH receptacle as legryz suggested. I will post the results later tomorrow. Thanks again to all for the great suggestions

Rich
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
well, new LED didn't do any good, have a good ground and all connections have been checked. Will call brakemaster tomorrow and see what they suggest. Friend assisting me who is an journey electrician thinks it possibly the Brake-Lite relay. The LED saga will continue another day.

Rich